Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Motorola Droid
Motorola Droid
2009-11-04, 1:42 PM #1
So Verizon is releasing the phone in two days. I have verizon and my phone has been acting squirrelly as well as my PDA died a few months back. I know some of the more technologically saavy members here have talked about Android in the past. Is this the type of platform where you can find useful freeware and install simply from the computer or will this likely be the type of thing Verizon will have locked down so that you have to use whatever apps they sell over their service?

Just interested in any insight some here might have before I go to the store in a couple days and get fed a bunch of bs from a sales rep that doesn't really know or care about accurate info.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-11-04, 1:48 PM #2
http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=55695

Also there's going to be a $350 termination fee for some phones on Verizon. So, have fun with that.

It won't be locked down as per Verizon standard as you'll have access to the Android marketplace just like any other Android phone.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-11-04, 1:58 PM #3
Thanks, I thought there was a thread recently but since Onimusha started it I guess I rapidly pushed it out of my mind. Feel free to close and/or delete.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-11-04, 3:22 PM #4
Why did you disregard it because Onimusha started it?
>>untie shoes
2009-11-04, 3:29 PM #5
Wow.
2009-11-04, 4:01 PM #6
Why the **** is this **** not banned already?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-11-04, 4:05 PM #7
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Why the **** is this **** not banned already?

Why would he be banned for choosing to ignore the posts of another member?
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-11-04, 4:06 PM #8
Yeah, that was a pretty poor thing for Wookie to say.
2009-11-04, 4:07 PM #9
I'm not one to defend Wookie, but if he said it about TE or Gold I bet this wouldn't even cause a ruckus.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-11-04, 4:10 PM #10
It would be a widely understandable thing to say he disregarded it because TE or Gold started it. They're known for making useless threads about meaningless topics.

Onimusha, on the other hand, making a thread about a cell phone? Really? What's the reasoning?

"well if Onimusha made this thread about a new phone, then **** that phone!"
>>untie shoes
2009-11-04, 4:10 PM #11
So, So much hypocrisy in that post.
2009-11-04, 4:18 PM #12
I don't understand how that could possibly make me a hypocrite.
>>untie shoes
2009-11-04, 4:20 PM #13
Haha. This thread is great!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-11-04, 4:21 PM #14
Massassi had gotten a great deal more fun in recent days.
>>untie shoes
2009-11-04, 4:23 PM #15
:v:
Attachment: 22988/Chadboxers.jpg (18,219 bytes)
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-04, 4:30 PM #16
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Haha. This thread is great!

UR GREAT.
nope.
2009-11-04, 5:25 PM #17
I hate you all

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/30/motorola-droid-review/

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/motorolas-droid-first-look/

http://gizmodo.com/5391825/motorola-droid-first-hands-on-its-a-terminator

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chris-dannen/techwatch/droid-almost-not-worth-writing-about?partner=rss

http://mashable.com/2009/10/29/droid-vs-iphone/
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-11-04, 5:42 PM #18
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Thanks, I thought there was a thread recently but since Onimusha started it I guess I rapidly pushed it out of my mind. Feel free to close and/or delete.

Your one to talk Rush Limbaugh.

To answer your question, repaying a *** such as yourself in kindness -- the Droid will be open source and connected to the Android market (10,000+ apps so far). Verizon will not have an iron grasp on this phone, which I find surprising. Furthermore someone made the point in my old thread that Google has its brand on the phone, meaning things will probably be left mostly stock to googles standard. (meaning Verizon will not tamper with the OS on the phone)

And -- yeah yeah, most of you hate me, I honestly couldn't give a ****. :)
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-11-04, 6:17 PM #19
We don't hate you, we just think you fly off the handle a little too easily.
nope.
2009-11-04, 6:20 PM #20
It's a damn good way of coping as far as I see it.
2009-11-04, 8:33 PM #21
Verizon will try to nickel and dime you as much as possible. My contract doesn't expire until July which means that phone is going to cost me $650 since it is not with a renewal. I'm thinking of jumping ship to Sprint. They look to have some pretty good plans.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-11-04, 8:38 PM #22
Originally posted by Yecti:
Why would he be banned for choosing to ignore the posts of another member?

I think there's an ignore function, which wouldn't make what he did any different than turning that on.
2009-11-04, 8:52 PM #23
Originally posted by dalf:
Verizon will try to nickel and dime you as much as possible. My contract doesn't expire until July which means that phone is going to cost me $650 since it is not with a renewal. I'm thinking of jumping ship to Sprint. They look to have some pretty good plans.

Why not just ride it out until July? It will cost you probably about the same to breach contract with Verizon, not to mention ding your credit.
-Martyn
2009-11-04, 8:54 PM #24
That's what I mean. Of course I'm not gonna breach contract. If the price is reasonable ($400 area) I might go with the DROID until next July. Might as well have something shiny until the end.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-11-04, 9:00 PM #25
I think with contract renewal the phone is going to be $200, and probably a $100 rebate. Outside of contract renewal you'd have better luck buying one on ebay.
-Martyn
2009-11-05, 12:45 PM #26
Originally posted by Antony:
"well if Onimusha made this thread about a new phone, then **** that phone!"

You have poor reasoning skills. I would think that a sane person would have comprehended from my previous post that I pushed the "thread" out of my mind because Onimusha started it. Not the phone. And I was being all that serious about it anyway but if it gets users like you panties in a bunch then it's worth it anyway.

↑ Up to the top!