Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → How I fixed the work computer.
How I fixed the work computer.
2009-11-05, 9:41 AM #1
It was easy.
Attachment: 22990/howifixed.JPG (16,891 bytes)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-11-05, 10:06 AM #2
Can't just delete the shortcut?

2009-11-05, 12:24 PM #3
Some of our private network features require explorer.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-11-05, 12:33 PM #4
When I set up my folks' computer I put a firefox icon on the desktop and relabeled it "BETTER INTERNET BROWSER" -- plus I deleted all the shortcuts to IE. They don't really notice other than the fact that the icon is different.
2009-11-05, 12:46 PM #5
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Some of our private network features require explorer.

That's why they invented IETab.

Originally posted by Brian:
When I set up my folks' computer I put a firefox icon on the desktop and relabeled it "BETTER INTERNET BROWSER" -- plus I deleted all the shortcuts to IE. They don't really notice other than the fact that the icon is different.

Heh I heard one guy downloaded an IE theme for Firefox, changed the shortcuts to all point to Firefox (but use the IE icon) and noone noticed the difference.

2009-11-05, 3:27 PM #6
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
That's why they invented IETab.

Heh I heard one guy downloaded an IE theme for Firefox, changed the shortcuts to all point to Firefox (but use the IE icon) and noone noticed the difference.

you mean firefox sucks as much as ie??
2009-11-05, 3:29 PM #7
I rather like firefox 3.

My beef with it is that its a resource hog, so on an older machine like mine, opera runs much faster/smoother. (Also the lack of speeddial is disappointing. I know there is an addon but its pretty lame compared to opera's SD)

Firefox generally tends to run web pages almost identical to IE though with no issues, unless you get a page developed by some programmer who is still in the stone age when it comes to web page development and does not design the page for other browsers.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-11-05, 3:31 PM #8
I use FF almost exclusively but the one thing about it that pisses me off is that on my tablet it randomly shoots to 50% CPU utilization every once in a while and won't stop unless I kill the process and I have no idea what's causing it (some add-on trying to do something in the background or update??)
一个大西瓜
2009-11-05, 3:51 PM #9
Originally posted by Molgrew:
you mean firefox sucks as much as ie??

No I mean people who use IE can't tell how much it sucks. :v:

But seriously... if you use IE willingly as your primary browser... I feel sorry for you.

2009-11-05, 3:56 PM #10
IETab is excellent - a couple of things on my desktop refuse to use anything but IE, only hitch is that xp sp3 borked IE and reinstalling it doesn't seem to work. :carl:
nope.
2009-11-05, 5:21 PM #11

That was me. I've done that to a few of my users.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-11-05, 5:36 PM #12
I think we should start torrenting versions of firefox like that to avoid legal troubles and see if we can replace every IE browser everywhere.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-11-05, 6:02 PM #13
:carl:
2009-11-05, 6:26 PM #14
1) Technically illiterate people would think you're trying to talk about the weather when you try to tell them to torrent something.

2) Technically literate people would already know how to set Firefox up to look like IE.

2009-11-05, 6:29 PM #15
I use FF3 off a USB at school with an IE theme, Everyone always asks why my computer is so fast...
2009-11-05, 7:02 PM #16
Are you kidding? FF is ****ing slow.
2009-11-05, 7:06 PM #17
High startup times, but rendering and JavaScript are quite fast.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-05, 7:33 PM #18
I'm pretty happy with Chrome.
2009-11-05, 7:45 PM #19
Since picking up Chrome, I haven't looked back. Not in the sense that it's blown me away, but it's marginally better in various ways, and I've seen no reason to consider switching back to Firefox.
2009-11-05, 8:02 PM #20
Yeah I use Chrome too. I miss some of my extensions though.

2009-11-05, 8:05 PM #21
Originally posted by JM:
Are you kidding? FF is ****ing slow.

Compared to an IE6 weighed down by a ghastly amount of bull****, it is godlike.
2009-11-05, 8:27 PM #22
Originally posted by saberopus:
I've seen no reason to consider switching back to Firefox.

Adblock.

Maybe I've been spoiled, using Firefox for so long with Adblock, but all the ADULT FRIEND FINDER ads are really starting to get on my nerves since I've started using Chrome for everything.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-11-05, 8:28 PM #23
Amish Dating
:D
2009-11-05, 8:37 PM #24
1) Technically illiterate people would think you're trying to talk about the weather when you try to tell them to torrent something.

2) Technically literate people would already know how to set Firefox up to look like IE.

I meant spread the version via torrenting, have tech people replace IE on public PCs. It was also a joke.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-11-05, 9:33 PM #25
I kinda suspected that, actually.

Originally posted by gbk:
Adblock.

Maybe I've been spoiled, using Firefox for so long with Adblock, but all the ADULT FRIEND FINDER ads are really starting to get on my nerves since I've started using Chrome for everything.

I've been using a HOSTS blocker, gets most of them. There's also an "AdBlock+" (no relation to ABP) extension that I'm giving a go. It supports ABP subscriptions :awesome:.

2009-11-05, 10:24 PM #26
Originally posted by gbk:
Adblock.

I am finding that those god damned flash ads are the worst offenders. They lag the browser down horridly. Flash blocker FTW.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-11-06, 1:46 PM #27
i liked chrome because its fast, but it absolutely sucks for people who are frequent ebay sellers like myself. Paypals shipping label print software is completely unusable and labels do not come out correctly. deal breaker since thats almost all i do on my PC.
2009-11-06, 2:43 PM #28
Chrome on my XP work machine is far snappier than FF.

On topic, I set up a friend's laptop with IE labelled as BAD INTERNET and Firefox (this was pre-chrome) as GOOD INTERNET.

It made me happy

↑ Up to the top!