Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Boo Lu's Bows
Boo Lu's Bows
2009-11-07, 12:52 PM #1
http://boolusbows.com

This is a small business that my younger sister is setting up to sell bows and hats and stuff, which she makes in her free time. I know most of you here probably have no interest in this kind of thing, but I am posting this here for two reasons.

1) Some of you might just need BOWS!
(who knows... :o)

2) I think she needs some kind of ordering form/shopping cart system on her website. Without getting technical *at all* is there some kind of pre-configured cookie-cutter script she could use or something? Or would anyone here be interested in helping her to design one (ie, doing it for her). She has no experience at all with web programming. I'm asking for help as a personal favor so I can help my sister out.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-11-07, 1:23 PM #2
I was like "WTF does hats have to do with bows?" (bow and arrow)
Then I go to the site and I'm like "WTF does a baby have to do with bows and hats?"
Then I was like "oh"
2009-11-07, 1:40 PM #3
Now I know I'm not the only one who read the title as "Boo Lu Blows" and thought about a couple of different things that could mean

and yeah, my next thought was bow's and arrows, and wondered what hats have to do with it, till I saw the baby with a bow
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-11-07, 2:04 PM #4
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
http://boolusbows.com

This is a small business that my younger sister is setting up to sell bows and hats and stuff, which she makes in her free time. I know most of you here probably have no interest in this kind of thing, but I am posting this here for two reasons.

1) Some of you might just need BOWS!
(who knows... :o)

2) I think she needs some kind of ordering form/shopping cart system on her website. Without getting technical *at all* is there some kind of pre-configured cookie-cutter script she could use or something? Or would anyone here be interested in helping her to design one (ie, doing it for her). She has no experience at all with web programming. I'm asking for help as a personal favor so I can help my sister out.

"Cookie Cutter" shopping carts don't exist. The best she could do is probably set up a business Paypal account and run it all through there.

There are shopping cart systems out there, but they either cost a lot of money, suck REALLY bad, or are a nightmare to use/install.
2009-11-07, 4:22 PM #5
I was thinking "oooh! A shop where I can find a cheap violin/violoncello/viola da gamba and learn to play! After all this shop sells bows!"

I was left saddened :smith:
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-11-07, 5:43 PM #6
Help her set up Google Checkout it's easy
一个大西瓜
2009-11-07, 5:46 PM #7
and this time I read it as Boo Lu bowing, possibly to royalty, or possibly in some interesting way that has made it onto youtube.
2009-11-07, 5:55 PM #8
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
I was like "WTF does hats have to do with bows?" (bow and arrow)
Then I go to the site and I'm like "WTF does a baby have to do with bows and hats?"
Then I was like "oh"

This.
nope.
2009-11-07, 6:26 PM #9
I clicked on this thread thinking "what does the front of a ship have to do with hats?" and then I saw the website and I went "ohhh".
Warhead[97]
2009-11-07, 6:47 PM #10
Pommy, Google Checkout looks like it might be just the thing. Though I won't be back in the states for a couple weeks still, I'm sending her the link. Thanks for the suggestion.

Everyone else: bows and arrows are for sissies. get some bows for your hair and clothes. You can pin them on! :D

Also, the baby on the front page is my niece, Audrey. Isn't she cute?

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-11-07, 6:48 PM #11
First thing i thought:
Cindy Lou Who

second thing i thought: man what an ugly website

third thing i thought: "still reminds me of cindylouwho"
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-11-07, 7:12 PM #12
Why do you have that little girls name memorized?
2009-11-07, 7:17 PM #13
because its from dr seuss?
2009-11-07, 7:20 PM #14
I sent her this email in regards to Google Checkout and some other suggestions. Feel free to offer other suggestions for me to pass on to her if you have any knowledge in small business/internet sales and whatnot.

Originally posted by email!:
Hey sister,

Having a check out system will make things easier for your potential customers to buy, and this seems like a pretty simple, quick and easy thing to get set up, and it looks like it wouldn't cost you anything up front. (As best I can tell they only charge you when someone makes a purchase.)

https://checkout.google.com/

Also, I have a couple other questions/suggestions.

1) Do you have a plan for shipping and packaging? (If you like Google Checkout, there may be an option with FedEx. Looks like they have a special offer. You might want to look into it.)

2) Something dad taught me about sales. Price your items more professionally. For example, instead of charging $2 for a bow, charge $2.49 or even $2.99. People will actually be more willing to pay the higher price because it is a common business practice to price things that way, and it will make them feel more confident in your company. Also, if you use Google Checkout, it will more than make up the transaction fee that Google charges you. :)

3) Specifically regarding your new website, boolusbows.com
a) In the "about us" section, use it more to describe who you are, rather than your product. You live a life that will be very interesting and intriguing to the average civilian consumer, and you can use that to your advantage to make people sympathetic to your company. Just remember to write your "about you" in a 3rd person perspective so it's still professional. Example: "Boo Lu's Bows is owned and operated by Karleen Grothe. Karleen lives in Killeen, TX on the Fort Hood army base, one of the largest military bases in the world. Her husband serves proudly in the United States Army. Together, they are raising two beautiful children, Micah and Audrey. What began as a simple hobby to keep Karleen busy while her husband was away on deployment quickly became a passion to create unique, quality bows. And through that passion, Boo Lu's Bows came into existence..." etc. (feel free to use any part of that or all of that if you want) My point is, the sort of people who are going to buy your bows, are going to LOVE to hear your story. Use it to your advantage! (The information you currently have in the "about us" section is good stuff, but I think it would fit better in the "products" section.)

b) Add another link on the side called "How to Order" and fill it with a *detailed* set of instructions on how to place an order. Tell them what information to include in the email and in what order. You might also think of using product numbers of some kind (like how McDonalds numbers their extra value meals). Right now you kind of have to search around to find out that info. And most people have short attention spans when it comes to buying stuff. As soon as part of the process becomes difficult, they'll tend to lose interest pretty quickly, and you could potentially lose a lot of sales just from people not knowing how to order, and being too lazy to research it. Of course this suggestion is based on your current ordering system. If you go with Google Checkout, this might not be a problem any longer.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. Remember, this is your project, so if you don't like my suggestions or don't think they're for you, then DON'T DO THEM (or feel free to pick them apart and/or expand on them). I'm not trying to take over or anything. :p Just was thinking about you and your new business venture and thought I might be able to pass on some stuff you might find helpful. Good luck! (And if you have any questions about sales, remember you can always ask me. Or ask dad, cause you can use him as a really valuable resource too.)

Love you, leenie.

Jon

2009-11-07, 8:10 PM #15
Don't how much to say, other than I approve of your price suggestions. I was thinking that in the back of my mind, but thought it might have been out of place to say "RAISE YOUR PRICES"
2009-11-07, 8:48 PM #16
I thought "Google Checkout" too, fwiw.

Also I'm pretty sure the idea is $2 -> $1.99 so it LOOKS like it's priced LESS. Of course if you factor in that transaction fee it can go from $2 -> $2.49 or whatever.

2009-11-07, 11:53 PM #17
Originally posted by dalf:
I was thinking "oooh! A shop where I can find a cheap violin/violoncello/viola da gamba and learn to play! After all this shop sells bows!"

I was left saddened :smith:

Look jedigandalf I don't know what your damage is but you can buy a cheap cello for a couple hundred dollars.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-11-08, 12:39 AM #18
MZZt, that was probably the initial logic behind pricing things like that, I don't disagree. But, the effect now is that people feel more comfortable with a product when it's priced in that manner (and comparatively to similar products). For example, if you went to a music store and saw a bunch of cd's priced for $9.99, and one priced for $5, you would most likely not think "Ohh good deal!" but instead "What's wrong with that cd that they had to drop the price to get it to sell?"

On the other handif that $5 cd was instead priced at $7.99 you would be more likely to see that as being a good deal. It's not priced so much lower that you'd think something was wrong with it, and at the same time, whoever originally thought to sell it for $5 is making a few extra bucks on the deal. That's why I reccomended $2.49 or $2.99 over $1.99. Especially since Google will be taking about 3% of each transaction.

2009-11-08, 6:23 AM #19
Originally posted by Deadman:
Why do you have that little girls name memorized?

Even I know what he's talking about and Dr Seuss isn't nearly well known here as it is in the US.
nope.
2009-11-08, 6:31 AM #20
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
For example, if you went to a music store and saw a bunch of cd's priced for $9.99, and one priced for $5, you would most likely not think "Ohh good deal!" but instead "What's wrong with that cd that they had to drop the price to get it to sell?"

On the other handif that $5 cd was instead priced at $7.99 you would be more likely to see that as being a good deal.

Actually when I see ".99" prices I think "I hate how everyone prices stuff down a penny to make stupid people think it costs less.". It's even worse at the gas station. When I see $5 and $7.99 I just think "Oh, this one is ~$3 less over here".

Dollar stores are one example of places that manage to do business despite not having ".99" prices. Some even make the lack of ".99" itself a novelty by having most items $1, but some items even multiples of $1 (since there's only so much cool stuff that you can sell for only $1), so you get $2, $3, $5 items.

Taking a few cents off the price would only really be useful imo if tax made the price work out to exactly an even number of dollars with no change. Some places do this, <3.

2009-11-08, 10:07 AM #21
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Even I know what he's talking about and Dr Seuss isn't nearly well known here as it is in the US.

I had to google her, and I love Dr Seuss, watching them brought back great childhood memories, I just don't happen to memorise names of all the child actors that are in the movies.

And the $2.49 over $2 thing works, I speak as someone who actually tested this theory extensively for giggles.
I tried 20 vs 19.99, and 19 vs 19.99. People subconsciously look for the .99 to know that it's a professional product, even when it is the same game sold in the same store.
2009-11-08, 12:25 PM #22
Yeah, what Deadman said, MZZT. I agree it's stupid. But it's the way our commerce works.

2009-11-08, 12:40 PM #23
Quote:
I had to google her, and I love Dr Seuss, watching them brought back great childhood memories, I just don't happen to memorise names of all the child actors that are in the movies.

Not the actress' name, the character's name. And how could you forget her? She's the one the grinch has to explain why he's taking their tree too.

Incidentally, that little girl is now a hot chick.
2009-11-08, 1:07 PM #24
Originally posted by JM:
Incidentally, that little girl is now a hot chick.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2421922304/nm0004931 :confused::confused::confused::confused:
2009-11-08, 1:11 PM #25
My face just melted off.
2009-11-08, 1:14 PM #26
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4198274048/nm0597410 :ninja:
nope.
2009-11-08, 1:21 PM #27
That's much better.
2009-11-08, 9:08 PM #28
Ars technica had an article on just this thing which may be useful.

http://arstechnica.com/web/guides/2009/11/how-to-set-up-an-e-commerce-site-using-paypal-to-process.ars
2009-11-09, 12:20 PM #29
She needs to get in contact with a payment gateway company

http://www.beanstream.com/
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.

↑ Up to the top!