Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
2009-11-10, 1:18 AM #1
Anyone get this game yet?
Disk 1 is still installing...

2009-11-10, 1:35 AM #2
I'm gonna wait for it to be 2nd hand and cheaper - I don't have the time to put into the multiplayer, so there's no rush for me.
2009-11-10, 6:05 AM #3
NewEgg sent me a coupon. And I still don't want it. I'll play through single player on my brother's copy, because that's the only part I'd ever play. MP reminds me far too much of counter strike, and I've played more than enough of that in my lifetime.
2009-11-10, 6:17 AM #4
My housemate called me from the city centre earlier, he's going to pick it up if he can find it for a reasonable price. By that I mean a price that goes nowhere near the £45 that Play want for it. I've read that some supermarkets are selling it for around £26, which is much more reasonable. Regardless of the furore kicked up over the PC version, the SP should still be a blast and we only play local MP anyway, so we still have the ability to kick annoying players.
2009-11-10, 6:19 AM #5
Sainsbury's today = £26
2009-11-10, 6:25 AM #6
I'm not really interested in it. I have enough credits built up at microplay to walk it and get the game free but I just don't think I'm interested enough to warrent sacrificing 80$ (Yes, with tax, new 360 games cost 80$ here ._.)
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-11-10, 6:44 AM #7
I'm really not interested in it too. I maybe will pick it up some day if it's on sale. Like 50% off.

I don't understand the monumental amount of hype for this game. It's like Halo 3 all over again. I mean, we've played modern day shooters before so it's not really substantially new. And alot of the Call of Duty games play quite similar to each other (even carbon-copy reiterations of the same gameplay mechanics), it's just the Modern Warfare series just has different settings. Now the devs are trying controversial stuff which will probably generate even more attention to the game. Activision sure knows how to market this game.

To be fair, I thought CoD4's single player was entertaining. But I can't be the only one who feels like the game was ... too scripted? Fun for the first runs, but I can't bring myself play the SP again. It's like an amusement park ride; enjoy the special effects but everything plays like same over and over again.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-11-10, 6:51 AM #8
Originally posted by Martyn:
Sainsbury's today = £26

Holy **** I need to run to a Sainsbury's right now
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-11-10, 6:57 AM #9
sp is fun so far, but holy **** my screen resolution has been jacked up since playing this
It looks normal and fine in game but my desktop and everything else has gotten remarkably blown up to proportion.
My screen resolution is 1024 by 768 pixels but it's not looking like it.

Anyone know how to fix this?

2009-11-10, 7:22 AM #10
I doubt 1024x768 is the default resolution of your monitor unless your monitor is from like the 1990's. Increase your desktop resolution.
2009-11-10, 7:24 AM #11
And thus IW made eleventy billion dollars, thus making all our arguements about what they did null and void.
2009-11-10, 8:52 AM #12
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the Citizen Kane of repeatedly shooting people in the face.

Brooker's awesomeness aside, I might pick it up in a few weeks just to see what all the hype is about.
nope.
2009-11-10, 9:01 AM #13
My sister played Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2 and then came home and killed me with an FN SCAR rifle with Enhanced Grenade Launcher Module.
:master::master::master:
2009-11-10, 11:40 AM #14
****ing Amazon is delaying my order until the 16th, but they gave me a $20 video game credit so I'll probably get Arkham Asylum with that.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-11-10, 11:43 AM #15
Yuck, Arkham Azylum, where repetitive gameplay drives you bat**** insane.
2009-11-10, 11:49 AM #16
I see what you did there.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-11-10, 11:53 AM #17
I despise anyone who buys it for the PC. Don't support the poopification of PC Gaming!
2009-11-10, 11:58 AM #18
cm: ive had that resolution forever and its fine. i dont have a screenshot to show you but my compter crashed at one point in the game and everything got bigger.

2009-11-10, 12:01 PM #19
and i have increased the resolution. it only got blurry and smaller

2009-11-10, 12:06 PM #20
Originally posted by Martyn:
I'm gonna wait for it to be 2nd hand and cheaper - I don't have the time to put into the multiplayer, so there's no rush for me.

Me too. I am going to pick up Assassin's Creed as soon as I get back from the honeymoon, though.
2009-11-10, 12:14 PM #21
I'm definately getting Assassin's Creed 2 also.
2009-11-10, 2:05 PM #22
Dumped 3 hours into the SPlayer campaign today. Absolutely fantastic.

F*** YEAH PIERCE. F*** F***ING YEAH.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-10, 2:49 PM #23
I bought CoD4 on sale way late and was completely disappointed. I felt ripped off only having paid something like $20 for it. Won't get this one.
2009-11-10, 2:52 PM #24
Just beat the single player. It's pretty short, but fun as hell. I can see myself playing through at least a couple more times. It will take awhile to get used to the new multiplayer maps, but once I am it seems like it will be just as good as 4. I'll probably give the Spec-Ops a try later tonight with my roommate.
2009-11-10, 2:56 PM #25
Originally posted by Brian:
I bought CoD4 on sale way late and was completely disappointed. I felt ripped off only having paid something like $20 for it. Won't get this one.

The single-player was awkward and very forced. Very poorly done. You should give MP a try though, that was a lot more rewarding, despite a few glaring flaws.
2009-11-10, 4:05 PM #26
Amazon shipped it not to long ago for me. I won't play it until I'm done with the semester when I can actually play it with a bigger HDTV and in surround sound. Until then I still have six other games to go through.
2009-11-10, 4:43 PM #27
I think I'll be waiting until the end of the semester for both this and Assassin's Creed 2. Really looking forward to both of them, but Dragon Age is all the distraction I'll need until the semester is over.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-11-11, 11:48 AM #28
Finished the Singleplayer campaign. I thought it was a bit short. I wished they went more into [spoilers]Shephard's whole deal[/spoiler]

Multiplayer is fantastic. It's much more polished, much smoother. I love all the new maps with little nooks and crannies to sneak in and out of.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-11, 11:52 AM #29
Is multiplayer possible to pick up and hop in once in a while, and still manage to be competitive, or is it one of those level up your rank and gain more weapons type deal that make new players or casual players moving targets more than potential threats to veteran players?
2009-11-11, 12:01 PM #30
The default classes (like they have in COD4) give you weapons, perks and attachments that aren't yet accessible to you, so you can get some degree of a leg up that way. They also get better as you rank up.

However, I've been getting 1st place frequently from ranks 1-10, and I am hardly a pro. The additional perks give you a higher degree of customization, they aren't terribly game breaking like they were in COD4 (Martyrdom, 3x grenades, etc).

I could be wrong on this, I don't know if any of the later weapons or kill/death streak bonuses are vastly overpowered.
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-11, 12:02 PM #31
Originally posted by fishstickz:
The default classes (like they have in COD4) give you weapons, perks and attachments that aren't yet accessible to you, so you can get some degree of a leg up that way. They also get better as you rank up.

However, I've been getting 1st place frequently from ranks 1-10, and I am hardly a pro. The additional perks give you a higher degree of customization, they aren't terribly game breaking like they were in COD4 (Martyrdom, 3x grenades, etc).

I could be wrong on this, I don't know if any of the later weapons or kill/death streak bonuses are vastly overpowered.

Well I do know one of the higher kill streak bonuses is a tactical nuke :P
2009-11-11, 12:04 PM #32
Which requires 25 kills in a row, and kills one of your lesser streak bonuses.

If you let someone get 25 kills in a row, you deserved to be nuked.
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-11, 12:04 PM #33
Originally posted by Jep:
Is multiplayer possible to pick up and hop in once in a while, and still manage to be competitive, or is it one of those level up your rank and gain more weapons type deal that make new players or casual players moving targets more than potential threats to veteran players?

I jumped into COD4 really really late in the game. I'd say it's a bit frustrating at first, but not for very long at all. The beginning is only tough in my opinion because of the lack of the red dot sight. Shooting with iron sights is just generally tougher. But depending on your aim, you can still jump in and be pretty damn successful. It doesn't take long at all, only 25 kills, to get the Red Dot Sight for the M16 or M4. Once you have that, it's pretty much just learning the maps and you'll know where to get the kills.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-11-11, 12:06 PM #34
Originally posted by mscbuck:
I jumped into COD4 really really late in the game. I'd say it's a bit frustrating at first, but not for very long at all. The beginning is only tough in my opinion because of the lack of the red dot sight. Shooting with iron sights is just generally tougher. But depending on your aim, you can still jump in and be pretty damn successful. It doesn't take long at all, only 25 kills, to get the Red Dot Sight for the M16 or M4. Once you have that, it's pretty much just learning the maps and you'll know where to get the kills.

You can also use the default classes (if they match up) to get a red dot sight before you can get it in create a class, get the 25 kills, then create it. That's what I did for the MP5K.
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-11, 12:13 PM #35
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Which requires 25 kills in a row, and kills one of your lesser streak bonuses.

If you let someone get 25 kills in a row, you deserved to be nuked.

Yeah, I was pretty damn good at COD4, and I don't know if I ever got streaks of 25 or over. 15+ was a very rare event.
2009-11-11, 12:19 PM #36
So how would one describe COD:MC2 multiplayer? I've actually never player COD4, nor have I played counterstrike. How does it differ from regular deathmatch games, or warfare games like Battlefield? What are the objectives?
2009-11-11, 12:25 PM #37
Originally posted by Darth:
Yeah, I was pretty damn good at COD4, and I don't know if I ever got streaks of 25 or over. 15+ was a very rare event.

I got one 27 streak in a crazy blowout of a Ground War game on Bog. I sat in one place and sniped the entire match, as enemy after enemy kept taking the same route. Finished the game without dying. I think we won the match 750-190.
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-11, 12:32 PM #38
Originally posted by Jep:
So how would one describe COD:MC2 multiplayer? I've actually never player COD4, nor have I played counterstrike. How does it differ from regular deathmatch games, or warfare games like Battlefield? What are the objectives?

It runs the gambit. IW has put in a ton of different game types, all are very well populated. There's a Counterstrike variant that has you planting bombs / defending sites where you don't respawn when you die. There's Battlefield type defend & hold 3 positions, racking up points the longer you hold it.

There's a CTF in MW2, although I haven't played it yet. The traditional deathmatch is similar to a Quake. It's fast paced, instant respawn. However, you utilize perks and weapon choices to really customize your level of play. (I normally play stealth with silenced weapons, invisible to scanners, etc). Most modes have "hardcore" variants, where you lose your HUD, weapons do more damage and Friendly Fire is on. It tends to be a bit slower and more skill based, as there are less random grenades and airstrikes.

Instead of pigeon-holing you into specific classes like TF2/Killzone 2, you get to customize, test out how you like to play. Pretty much every perk has a counter, so you can't always find something that always works, you need to be versatile.
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-11, 1:12 PM #39
Considering I beat the first one in 4 hours... I won't be buying this one until it reaches the $10 mark most likely.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-11-11, 1:16 PM #40
I'll be picking it up tonight.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"

↑ Up to the top!