Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Quick Windows Question!
Quick Windows Question!
2009-11-13, 11:43 AM #1
Hey buddies.

edit: this is Windows XP SP3.

Got a quick question that I'm having trouble googling the answer to, due to the ambiguity of the terminology... (most attempts just yielding things about locking the desktop/taskbar)

Basically, I reformatted and reinstalled Windows about 6 months ago or so... Before this time, when I would press Window+L to lock the computer (IE: require a password before the desktop is accessible again) it would display my wallpaper, and the login window on top of it. Now, doing so reverts to the blue login screen for some reason, and I was wondering if there's a way to actually control this (because I liked it the old way) or if it's just some random fluke.

Thanks a lot!
2009-11-13, 11:56 AM #2
Perhaps you need to change the way users log on? Control Panel>Users, I believe.
2009-11-13, 12:01 PM #3
Yeah, it is something like that. I've been trying to remember the reason. I think it is the same reason why on some systems you can use ctl+alt+del to access a log off menu and others open the task manager.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-11-13, 12:05 PM #4
Should be an option with "Classic logon" I believe. Might be able to get it with TweakUI.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-11-13, 12:27 PM #5
yeah it's in control panel -> users. turn off fast user switching.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-11-13, 1:42 PM #6
Perfect, thanks everyone :).
2009-11-13, 10:07 PM #7
Fast User Switching isn't it. FUS controls whether more than one user can be logged in at once. Keep it on unless you know you don't need it.

You want to uncheck the option right about it, "Use the Welcome screen". That will revert the logon screen to the Windows 2000 behavior saberopus described.

Originally posted by Wookie06:
Yeah, it is something like that. I've been trying to remember the reason. I think it is the same reason why on some systems you can use ctl+alt+del to access a log off menu and others open the task manager.

I'm pretty sure C+A+D opens task manager on the "cheap" Windows editions and opens the menu on the more pricey ones. At least that's how it is for XP. I suppose it's possible disabling the Welcome screen could make C+A+D go straight to the task manager, as well.

2009-11-14, 12:30 AM #8
Does Vista/7 even support that anymore? (The user switch box).
It must, because I don't see how a networked computer with hundreds of accounts could work without it, but I can't figure out how.
2009-11-14, 8:19 AM #9
Sorry MZZT, but "Fast User Switching" WAS it... NoESC was right. :) Fast user switching just reverts to the login screen upon Window+L... whereas disabling it just reverts to the login box for the current user (with the current background image behind it).
2009-11-14, 9:11 AM #10
fail
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-11-14, 11:30 AM #11
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
I'm pretty sure C+A+D opens task manager on the "cheap" Windows editions and opens the menu on the more pricey ones. At least that's how it is for XP. I suppose it's possible disabling the Welcome screen could make C+A+D go straight to the task manager, as well.

Actually, it is the opposite. Disabling the welcome screen gives you more options when you ctl+alt+del.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

↑ Up to the top!