Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Waters of Mars
Waters of Mars
2009-11-15, 5:40 PM #1
Any UK folk watch the new Dr. Who? I'm fixing to watch it on YouTube. It makes me sad that Tennant's run is nearly at an end. :(
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-11-15, 5:42 PM #2
I can't wait to see it. I'm also saddened by the end of the Tennant years :(
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-11-15, 6:37 PM #3
Loved it. Thought the end was very out of character, although I guess that was the point. I love the fact that The Master is coming back. When The Doctor was talking at the end all I could think of was that it sounded like The Master. I think this will provide an interesting contrast.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-11-15, 6:37 PM #4
Saw it, it was good - Odd bit of Russellitis but I'll leave any more info until you've all seen it. :P
nope.
2009-11-15, 8:37 PM #5
Originally posted by happydud:
Loved it. Thought the end was very out of character, although I guess that was the point. I love the fact that The Master is coming back. When The Doctor was talking at the end all I could think of was that it sounded like The Master. I think this will provide an interesting contrast.

I thought the same thing about the The Doctor acting like The Master .

At least we won't have to wait months and months for the next episode. Just 1 month.
2009-11-15, 11:53 PM #6
A month?! Really?

That's pap.
2009-11-16, 2:24 AM #7
The BBC really needs to start using the Top Gear cameramen on Doctor Who, the first 40 minutes looked downright awful. In fact, if it wasn't for the last 20 minutes, the whole thing would have been a massive letdown.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-11-16, 3:51 AM #8
Agreed about the end. Can't say the camera work bothered me that much though.

I'm only watching these last ones so I can pick up the new series, I've barely seen any of Tennant's Doctor.
2009-11-16, 4:17 AM #9
It's noticeable on big screens, the camera doesn't track the movement properly (makes it look cheap) and the CG looks VERY poor. I appreciate that the BBC has a limited FX budget, but there are loads of hobbyists who are capable of much better in their spare time. The bit with the Doctor and wassherface on the rocketing robot looked especially poor. Some might say that looking cheap is part of the appeal of Doctor Who, but I disagree.
Flickr Twitter
2009-11-16, 8:45 AM #10
Yeah, I thought this episode was pretty weak right up until the end, and we had an epic moral dilemma condensed into about 10 minutes. I'd like to see that explored more.

There are a few things I've forgotten, and was a little confused about. Does the Doctor know that blonde woman from a previous episode? How does the Doctor know how he's going to die (the four knocks thing), and what does the Ood have to do with it? Does this in any way relate to that girl, ages ago, that the Doctor falls in love with (in the future) and is the only person that knows his name?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-11-16, 9:11 AM #11
Quote:
Does the Doctor know that blonde woman from a previous episode?

No, he just read about her on the BBC site.

Quote:
How does the Doctor know how he's going to die (the four knocks thing),

Previous special, with the sand planet and the wormhole monsters and the psychic woman.

Quote:
Ood have to do with it?

Not a goddamned clue.

Quote:
Does this in any way relate to that girl, ages ago, that the Doctor falls in love with (in the future) and is the only person that knows his name?

I don't think so.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-11-16, 10:27 AM #12
The flashes of the BBC site were especially cheap, not to mention that it implies the BBC site will be exactly the same in 50 years.
Flickr Twitter
2009-11-16, 10:57 AM #13
Originally posted by Detty:
The flashes of the BBC site were especially cheap, not to mention that it implies the BBC site will be exactly the same in 50 years.

Haha, I thought it was funny. I imagine it's easier for them to use BBC news in terms of licensing and copyright logos and stuff, like they when they get real BBC newsreaders to read fictional news in the Dr. Who universe. I thought the sudden and dramatic zoom in on 'DIED 2059' was a tad unsubtle, a bit crude.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-11-16, 11:34 AM #14
The point is, they've had the Doctor know the outcome of events before without being so in-your-face about it. It just seemed completely unneccessary and spoilt any sense of immersion. It's very different to using real newsreaders, because at least they're used in the right time period.
Flickr Twitter
2009-11-16, 12:38 PM #15
Originally posted by happydud:

Not a goddamned clue.

The Ood in the end of the "Planet of the Ood" is Ood Sigma, he tell the Doctor that his song is ending soon.
Flying over there some were...
2009-11-17, 4:09 AM #16
pretty good episode. big creepy. Looking forward to next one.
I will miss Tennants perfect jawline and thick glasses /notgay
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-11-17, 6:11 PM #17
There needs to be an Americanized version of this show. Steve Carell could be the first doctor, because he's now in everything that's American and has some comedy in it anyway. If he declines, it's John C. Reilly time!
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-11-17, 8:42 PM #18
Almost a throwback to Fires of Pompeii - He was too rigid for not wanting to change history then, but now he's out of control when he goes too far with the compassion thing. (compassion not being the best word for it but I can't think of anything else)

I agree with dud with the whole sounding like the Master at the end thing. He really, really did.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-11-17, 10:16 PM #19
i will sorely miss Genk...i mean tennant when he's gone.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-11-17, 10:31 PM #20
i read a nice summary/spoilage/discussion of it on io9 today

note, spoilerage
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-11-18, 5:18 AM #21
Originally posted by Krokodile:
There needs to be an Americanized version of this show. Steve Carell could be the first doctor, because he's now in everything that's American and has some comedy in it anyway. If he declines, it's John C. Reilly time!

That's a great idea! Like the American version(s) of Fawlty Towers! Or Red Dwartf! Or The Thick Of It!
2009-11-18, 7:24 AM #22
They tried a US version of The Thick Of It?

:suicide:

And Kroko, look up Paul McGann. :P
nope.
2009-11-18, 8:51 AM #23
Paul McGann's Doctor was pretty good actually. I think Ecclestone borrowed heavily from his version - and that's a good thing. :)
2009-11-18, 8:59 AM #24
Originally posted by Baconfish:
They tried a US version of The Thick Of It?

:suicide:

And Kroko, look up Paul McGann. :P

Yeah, after the movie In the Loop they did a pilot. Apparently, they removed all of the swearing and shaky-cam-Office-style camerawork and it was utterly ****.

Why is there always this desire to produce local versions of foreign hit programmes, rather than get a licence to air the original series? It's not always a bad thing, I like the US version of Whose Line Is It Anyway (Wayne Brady is awesome), and Total Wipeout is pretty funny (both the UK version with Richard Hammond, and the US version with those two other guys).

But programmes like QI, Nevermind the Buzzcocks or Have I Got News For You could easily be aired in the US and be very successful - but all three are currently being made as American versions instead. I mean, it must be so much more expensive to make a whole new series rather than just reair the British versions.
2009-11-18, 9:13 AM #25
I could have sworn they tried a version of Buzzcocks in the 90s with Dweezil Zappa and it took a nose dive pretty quickly. :confused:
nope.
2009-11-18, 10:59 AM #26
I loved the episode, but also want to state how much I loved In The Loop. One of the most underwatched and under appreciated films of last year.

And an American Who would be a disaster.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-18, 2:42 PM #27
Originally posted by fishstickz:
And an American Who would be a disaster.

I agree.
2009-11-18, 2:53 PM #28
Maybe your scared it would be better than the original like The Office :ninja:

(For the record though, I'm against an American Doctor Who)
2009-11-18, 3:28 PM #29
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Maybe your scared it would be better than the original like The Office :ninja:

(For the record though, I'm against an American Doctor Who)

I totally agree, US Office is really really good, much better than the UK original. I think the same about Whose Line Is It Anyway, the US version is slightly better. Possibly just because the UK version was in the early 90s, so a lot of the topical references I don't get.
2009-11-18, 4:54 PM #30
I'm certain the special effects would leap forward... but I can't imagine finding an American version of Tennant anywhere without it coming off cheesy.

And yes, I completely and utterly agree that the US version of The Office is completely and utterly AWESOME.
2009-11-18, 5:02 PM #31
I wonder if it ever did happen, what his ship would be?
2009-11-18, 5:28 PM #32
A porta-potty.
2009-11-18, 6:07 PM #33
That's the first thing that came to my mind.

↑ Up to the top!