Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Infinity Ward and their Nazi regime.
Infinity Ward and their Nazi regime.
2009-11-17, 11:43 PM #1
Well I guess with all of the controversy surrounding Infinity Ward and their successful bastardization of the PC version of Modern Warfare 2, noone has noticed a particular interview with Activisions financial rep. They're now thinking about charging CoD players for online services (though probably services we once used to assume were a 'basic' part of servicing an online multiplayer community). Here's a quote:

Quote:

Activision financial executive Thomas Tippl has said that there are plans to begin charging Call of Duty users for online services.

“It's definitely an aspiration that we see potential in, particularly as we look at different business models to monetise the online gameplay,” Tippl was overheard saying by IGN. “There's good knowledge exchange happening between the Blizzard folks and our online guys.

“We have great experience also on Call of Duty with the success we had on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. A lot of that knowledge is getting actually built into the Battle.Net platform and the design of that,” he said.

“I think it's been mutually beneficial, and you should expect us to test and ultimately launch additional online monetisation models of some of some of our biggest franchises like Call of Duty.”

As to why users will be happy to stump up, Tippl explained, “Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that."

There is also some circumstantial "proof" of this debacle taking place: http://www.modernwarfail2.com/2009/11/17/unlocking-hidden-mw2-game-types/

The above website shows PC users how to activate the dev console and access several completed gametypes and achievements that were either left out of the game to eventually "activate" with "downloadable content"; or something that they'll develop and release later in a DLC pack. This is really kind of disheartening news, as i really didn't want to believe IW would go to such lengths to effectively **** over its consumer base.
2009-11-18, 12:18 AM #2
Wow, it wouldn't be worth it. I enjoy playing it online but the lag that is in EVERY game gets very annoying.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-11-18, 12:21 AM #3
"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet."

Yeah, features like dedicated servers that have always been there.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-18, 2:16 AM #4
Haha yeah good luck to them. The fact they try to use Blizzard as a justification is pretty amusing. IW, you ever design a MMOFPS worth paying for, I'm there. Until then I'll be playing one of the legion of other FPS games out there that already offers for free what you want me to pay for.
2009-11-18, 3:41 AM #5
I dont know the details, but it's sort of understandable that the programmers would plan for DLC and implement atleast a little API support for different gametypes. However if the different gametypes are 100% working with existing maps then I start to have issues with that.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-11-18, 6:08 AM #6
Originally posted by Emon:
"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet."

Yeah, features like dedicated servers that have always been there.

This. Although there's already a hack to get around their match-making service. I haven't looked into it since I won't get the game.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-11-18, 7:36 AM #7
IW is the new EA. Blockbuster games, nazi practices.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-11-18, 7:47 AM #8
Ok, so yeah, IW has pulled a bunch of stupid moves lately that are likely to hurt the company in the long run... but on the same level as murdering 6 million people? Really?

While I can understand how frustrating the loss of control is without dedicated servers, I do feel that that distributed gaming on the cloud without any one computer or server running the show is probably the way games are headed in the future. It's probably possible to achieve this technologically though, and still maintain administrative control over the game for 1 person or a few select people.
2009-11-18, 8:38 AM #9
I didn't intend the "Nazi" tag to infer that they are more horrible than what the Nazi's did in WWII, but I am associating IW with Nazi's because they are similar in practice. Ruthless bastards! Anywho, the gametypes actually work in full glory on several multiplayer maps (though not all of them), so yeah. Something weird is going on there. I just don't understand why they would force this upon consumers.. not everyone wants to play a monthly fee for their games -- especially if they're only getting content that is usually offered as the industry standard anyway.
2009-11-18, 9:24 AM #10
Originally posted by DSettahr:
Ok, so yeah, IW has pulled a bunch of stupid moves lately that are likely to hurt the company in the long run... but on the same level as murdering 6 million people? Really?

hyperbole
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-18, 9:50 AM #11
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
This. Although there's already a hack to get around their match-making service. I haven't looked into it since I won't get the game.

It needs to be in the game by default for the community to take off. Epic eventually fixed UT3 and it became a good game, but it was such garbage when it came out that it's community never got off the ground.
2009-11-18, 9:28 PM #12
Originally posted by zanardi:
Wow, it wouldn't be worth it. I enjoy playing it online but the lag that is in EVERY game gets very annoying.

this. every so often the dude with stolen wifi is the host and then its rewind and fast forward movement for me :suicide:

if they start charging...that would really suck and i dont think i would play online anymore

2009-11-18, 9:31 PM #13
Godwin'd so hard its making my head spin.

↑ Up to the top!