Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Debate: Hitchens, Harris, Dennett vs Boteach, D'Souza, Taleb
Debate: Hitchens, Harris, Dennett vs Boteach, D'Souza, Taleb
2009-11-25, 4:25 AM #1
Has anyone else seen this? I love to watch the athiest vs. religion debates & I must say that this is one of the best ones yet. Dennett, Harris & Hitchens were great as usual but I more enjoy the calm demeanor of Harris as he *****-slaps people with logic.
? :)
2009-11-25, 9:39 AM #2
None of the religious people seem to have any intellectual credibility.

Something like would be more worthwhile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9NlRKJBKt4
2009-11-25, 10:46 AM #3
I read a book a few years ago by a self-professing atheist, who (on a dare or bet) visited several churches. He offered a lot of useful insight to the christian community, giving positives and negatives about their "culture". He's still an atheist, but prefers the attitude that instead of pointless arguing and debating, that athiests and christians should look at commonalities - most share similar morals, but they approach them from different points of view. For example, you'd be hard pressed to find an atheist that thinks child molestation is ok, and the same is true of christians.

I can't remember the name of the book, though. :-P
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-11-25, 11:08 AM #4
Quote:
None of the religious people seem to have any intellectual credibility.

I'm only familiar with Boteach because of several other debates that I've seen him involved in but D'Souza is quite reputable amongst the religious. He was required reading in college as a matter of fact. I was lucky enough to only have to read "The End Of Racism" though & it was actually decent. I'll check out the video that you posted.

Quote:
For example, you'd be hard pressed to find an atheist that thinks child molestation is ok, and the same is true of christians.

You mean besides Catholic clergy, right? :) If you end up remembering the name of the book I'd be quite interested.
? :)
2009-11-25, 12:11 PM #5
Originally posted by Mentat:
You mean besides Catholic clergy, right? :) If you end up remembering the name of the book I'd be quite interested.

I'm sure there are exceptions on both sides...

I'll ask the guy I borrowed the book from what the name is.
2009-11-25, 1:50 PM #6
Originally posted by Chewbubba:

I'll ask the guy I borrowed the book from what the name is.

His name was SATAN.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-11-25, 2:11 PM #7
I think it was "I Sold My Soul on Ebay" by Hemant Mehta.

↑ Up to the top!