Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Windows Vista Home - disable admin password prompt for specific program
Windows Vista Home - disable admin password prompt for specific program
2009-12-02, 8:31 PM #1
I don't know what I'm doing. I installed a program called Sansa Media Converter so one of my kids could put videos on his sansa fuze. Every time anyone runs the program, it prompts for an admin password. I want to grant him permission to run it as administrator, or run with elevated privileges w/out being prompted for a password. All the searches I've run tell me to run secpol or something, which isn't included in the "home" versions of vista. Is there a way to do this? If I have to give him the admin password, that would totally defeat the entire purpose of running as regular users. Thanks in advance.
2009-12-02, 8:53 PM #2
Other then changing his account to an admin account I don't see any. Windows 7 has the ability to disable UAC I think, maybe Vista has it too?
2009-12-02, 9:28 PM #3
You can run it as a service to bypass UAC I think
一个大西瓜
2009-12-02, 10:20 PM #4
Services can't interact with the desktop Pommy as of Windows Vista. No UI. In XP Services could ONLY interact with the first logged in user since they just happened to share a session. In Vista services get their own session, and thus can't interact with other user sessions any more than they could in XP (which have their own desktops).

Plus services need to use specific APIs, they can't be normal programs. Even if you use an app which is meant to run any program as a service (by launching the program from a service) you still don't get any UI.

Brian the only solutions are a) hope Sansa updates their tool to be Vista-compatible (they've had almost 3 years now, good luck) b) find a different program that is Vista-compatible that can upload videos on his eyePod clone or whatever a fuze is (good luck with that, vendor lock in and all is fun) c) make his account administrator (yeah you don't wanna do this) or d) have him call you when he needs to run it so you can input the password. It's probably also best to supervise until he closes it... it's easy to launch other apps elevated, even by accident, from an elevated process, giving him full Administrative access to the system. Which you said you didn't want.

I don't suppose this fuze thing can appear as a hard drive in My Computer, because that would be too easy and would make it difficult for them to force you to use their horrible program.

Tibby: Disabling UAC won't help here. Doing that would PREVENT the limited user account from running the program at all. It's only really useful for Administrator accounts since you already have the access rights and UAC just restricts you to simulate a Limited User environment, so you feel safer and so devs are encouraged to make apps that run as Limited User (it's not meant to protect from malware at all fyi, no matter how shield-ish the icon looks).

Secpol is probably part of the finer grained security and permissions management tools that are only included with the "expensive" Windows editions since usually businesses need them.

[Edit: Actually there's also an e) Figure out the permissions that the sansa tool requires and add them to his user account. However this assumes several things: 1) the permissions are accessible in the "home" edition. If you can't set permissions on files from the UI, rebooting into Safe Mode Administrator account may show the UI, and there are also free MS/other command line tools for all editions of Vista to maniupualte permissions. 2) the app does not auto-elevate, but crashes when you don't elevate it (ie it would be possible to run it not-elevated). Even if it does you may be able to force it not to elevate by hacking the manifest file in the EXE using ResHacker.

Anyways you'd ideally use Process Monitor to keep an eye on what the tool does up until it crashes or fails or whatever, then examine the log to see what it tried to access that failed, and then add the appropriate permissions to allow access.

One thing that might be doing it is that Program Files is not writable to Limited Users and apps which write to their own app folder (discouraged by MS, thus the change) will fail to work. Changing the permissions of the app folder to allow writes by Users group would fix this.]

2009-12-02, 10:22 PM #5
You don't have to use the Media Converter, it is just the easiest way to get videos the appropriate size and format fit for the Fuze. It shows up like a USB flash drive and you can drop files onto it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-12-03, 12:19 AM #6
(try some rockbox on that fuze!)

nevermind, its only semi-supported
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-12-03, 8:58 AM #7
Originally posted by Emon:
You don't have to use the Media Converter, it is just the easiest way to get videos the appropriate size and format fit for the Fuze. It shows up like a USB flash drive and you can drop files onto it.

How else would I do it? It seems that no video I drop into the VIDEOS folder on the fuze work unless I run them through the converter first. Right now it's a twisted, stupid, insane process. First, he got a plugin for firefox that lets him download youtube videos in .mp4 format. But apparently the .mp4 format that he got isn't compatible with the .mp4 format the sansa converter can understand. So I showed him how to use VLC to convert the file from whatever .mp4 that was to a .wmv + .wma .mp4 file (is this making sense to anyone? sure isn't making sense to me). Once I have *that* .mp4 we can feed it to the converter and it gets onto his fuze. Ugh.
2009-12-03, 9:15 AM #8
Handbrake?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-12-03, 9:49 AM #9
yes, handbrake.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-12-03, 12:09 PM #10
I'll give it a try.
2009-12-03, 6:57 PM #11
Doesn't work, handbrake won't make an avi. It looks like the sansa fuze wants an avi that contains an mpeg4 encoded with divx 5. I don't even know how it's possible. Meh.
2009-12-03, 7:08 PM #12
Use Super. If Super can't do it, it can't be done.
2009-12-03, 7:33 PM #13
Did you try creating a shortcut and defining the user you want the program to run as inside the shortcut?
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-12-03, 9:59 PM #14
This may help Brian: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27460

I dunno about "MPEG-4" but just get an encoder to make an AVI with Divx5 and MP3 and then just tweak the codec parameters.

Yecti: I dunno about Vista, but XP only has a checkbox that forces a "Run As Different User" dialog to pop up every time you run the shortcut. Which is pretty much what UAC IS when you have a Limited User account.

2009-12-04, 6:53 AM #15
Originally posted by Brian:
Doesn't work, handbrake won't make an avi. It looks like the sansa fuze wants an avi that contains an mpeg4 encoded with divx 5. I don't even know how it's possible. Meh.

Ironically Handbrake supported making AVIs until the latest version released only a week ago.

They killed support for AVI because, basically, it sucked terribly.
2009-12-06, 7:17 PM #16
*AVIs suck terribly

if you get the previous version (.93 i believe) it will do AVIs fine.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-12-07, 8:26 AM #17
That doesn't really have much to do with this thread, he's not choosing an OS he has one already.

Also last I checked there was no support for ext2/3 without a third party driver. Which, FYI, is quite usable in and was designed for XP.

And it is definitely not faster than XP, not by a long shot. It sucks much more CPU time away from applications. Of course XP's multicore support is not as good so the more cores you have the more 7 can make up the gap. And of course don't get me wrong, I like 7, and would gladly use it if a) Windows didn't cost a small fortune for the good versions and b) my computer could run L4D2 at a decent framerate in it.

2009-12-07, 8:42 AM #18
Haha you just responded to a spam bot.
2009-12-07, 8:17 PM #19
Well it was a good one then, it was vaguely on topic. A couple other posts it made seemed to be as well.

↑ Up to the top!