Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Accidently bought Windows 7 32-bit OEM
Accidently bought Windows 7 32-bit OEM
2009-12-04, 3:54 PM #1
No refunds for OEM software. If I find a 64-bit disk, will the same key work? Or do I need to buy another copy?

o.0
2009-12-04, 3:56 PM #2
as far as i am aware the key will work with either version. That was the case with the edition i got.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-12-04, 3:58 PM #3
I don't suppose theres a legal/safe way to find an ISO?

o.0
2009-12-04, 4:00 PM #4
You used to be able to download the ISO right from Microsoft; I think that may have been only before it was released though.
Stuff
2009-12-04, 4:06 PM #5
I done googled it.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/10/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

o.0
2009-12-04, 8:24 PM #6
Originally posted by Greenboy:

isohunt
2009-12-04, 9:24 PM #7
Can 100% confirm (as I've done it) use a key for 32-bit or 64-bit. The media it came with is irrelevant.
2009-12-04, 9:33 PM #8

It is always legal if you OWN the original.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-12-04, 9:36 PM #9
Yeah, but I didn't want a hacked/altered version.

o.0
2009-12-04, 9:37 PM #10
Originally posted by Onimusha:

Yeah, actually, it isn't. If, for example, you buy a DVD, you cannot go and just download the movie without permission.
2009-12-04, 9:49 PM #11

It's not hard to find a clean one.
2009-12-04, 10:13 PM #12
Originally posted by Onimusha:

This is all kinds of not true. Like, 100% wrong.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-12-04, 10:43 PM #13

That's why Microsoft provides MD5 checksums of iso images it distributes so you can verify them.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/24/windows-7-rtm-build-7600-16385-official-sha-1-and-md5-checksum-hash-for-original-msdntechnet-dvd-iso-images/

Originally posted by fishstickz:
This is all kinds of not true. Like, 100% wrong.

Would you feel better if you knew that all versions of Windows 7, from Starter to Ultimate, have the SAME ISO image, just different packaging and a key that unlocks the appropriate version? If you don't believe me check the checksum list above, only one ISO image for all 32-bit versions (except E, and a couple language variants for some reason). So the extra $150 or whatever doesn't get you anything physical but a slightly different key that unlocks the software...

2009-12-04, 10:45 PM #14
I purchased a computer with a 64-bit processor from Dell. I figured that since it was Dell, I didnt need to worry about checking to make sure it came with the 64-bit version of windows vista. Guess what.... It came with the 32-bit version. I learned my lesson, you can't always trust even companies like Dell to ensure that you have the appropriate hardware and software for your system to work as efficiently as possible.
2009-12-04, 11:47 PM #15
Originally posted by DSettahr:
I purchased a computer with a 64-bit processor from Dell. I figured that since it was Dell, I didnt need to worry about checking to make sure it came with the 64-bit version of windows vista. Guess what.... It came with the 32-bit version. I learned my lesson, you can't always trust even companies like Dell to ensure that you have the appropriate hardware and software for your system to work as efficiently as possible.

Pretty much any modern processor is 64bit -- you'll usually see 32bit installed with less than 4Gb RAM and 64bit installed if RAM is 4Gb+.
woot!
2009-12-05, 9:29 AM #16
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
That's why Microsoft provides MD5 checksums of iso images it distributes so you can verify them.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/24/windows-7-rtm-build-7600-16385-official-sha-1-and-md5-checksum-hash-for-original-msdntechnet-dvd-iso-images/

Would you feel better if you knew that all versions of Windows 7, from Starter to Ultimate, have the SAME ISO image, just different packaging and a key that unlocks the appropriate version? If you don't believe me check the checksum list above, only one ISO image for all 32-bit versions (except E, and a couple language variants for some reason). So the extra $150 or whatever doesn't get you anything physical but a slightly different key that unlocks the software...

Actually I think that changed. It used to be this way with Vista, but not any longer.
2009-12-05, 9:51 AM #17
I'd like a similar question answered:

I was going to buy an upgrade version of Windows 7 Ultimate from Newegg, but I am in the midst an OS corruption in Vista. I'd really like to reorganize my computer and install windows 7 today instead of in 3 weeks. Can I install the Windows 7 RC and then use the upgrade if I still have my Vista Ultimate CD Key? Is there a better solution to this, such as buying a downloadable upgrade version that also allows me to order a CD? I'd really like a physical copy of the operating system, but I also want to install this or next weekend.

If I'm hijacking, let me know.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-12-05, 12:59 PM #18
http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Ultimate-Upgrade/product/592F5AF5?WT.mc_id=winonline_shop_ULTupgrade

Download + backup CD

o.0
2009-12-05, 1:50 PM #19
Sweet, thanks!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-12-05, 2:41 PM #20
Upgrading from pre-RTM versions is not supported by Microsoft. It may or may not let you do it, it may or may not trash your hard drive if it does. Either way Microsoft won't help you. You have been warned.

Unless you mean you're going to upgrade from Vista to 7, which is fine, but it might not fix your "OS corruption" depending on what causes it. Fresh install. Only way to be sure. Despite the name on the label, the Upgrade edition will allow a fresh install if you have Vista already on there.

2009-12-05, 7:36 PM #21
just FYI, you can also do a clean install from the upgrade disc only without a previous version of windows installed. Kinda really defeats the purpose of buying the full version.
\(='_'=)/
2009-12-05, 9:24 PM #22
Originally posted by silent_killa:
just FYI, you can also do a clean install from the upgrade disc only without a previous version of windows installed. Kinda really defeats the purpose of buying the full version.

Yep. Good thing, too - because in my efforts to fix my laptop, I ended up nuking the existing Vista installation. Oops.
woot!

↑ Up to the top!