Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → TECH QUESTION related to broadband
TECH QUESTION related to broadband
2009-12-04, 6:03 PM #1
GBK already answered me and I trust him since he's a great tech guy and a great man overall but you know about second opinions and stuff

[03:49:38] <+Kroko> guys, is there a way to set up my routing so that my Xbox would get 50% and my computer would get 50% of bandwidth at all times, so that they would both operate at 1MB (my internet is 2MB)
[03:49:55] <+Kroko> the reason I want to do this is to eliminate lag on my Xbox while browsing the internet on my PC
[03:51:36] <+gbk> no
[03:51:40] <+gbk> not easily
[03:51:52] <+Kroko> oh that sux!
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-12-04, 6:04 PM #2
I don't think it works that way, I do believe that it works based on what demands what, and when.
2009-12-04, 6:09 PM #3
hmm

okay thanks for the info tibby

so any suggestions other than quit doing both at the same time?
2009-12-04, 9:29 PM #4
Get a router like the WRT-54GL that you can get a custom firmware installed on. What you need is QoS (Quality of Service).

This will allow you to prioritize the 360's connections, or even better, de-prioritize the regular internet traffic of your PC.

Not many home routers support the feature though without above mentioned custom firmware.
2009-12-04, 9:47 PM #5
Oh sweet, my router does have QoS! I haven't really figured it out though...I'll google for some instructions, thanks man!
2009-12-04, 10:01 PM #6
Yeah, that's what you want. Splitting the bandwidth wouldn't help with lag anyway.

↑ Up to the top!