Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Conservative Bible
The Conservative Bible
2009-12-04, 11:49 PM #1
hahahahahaha

This is undoubtedly old news, but I needed to put their statement of objectives through my Blasphemy-to-English translator:

Quote:
As of 2009, there is no fully conservative translation of the Bible which satisfies the following ten guidelines:
Framework against Liberal Bias: providing a strong framework that enables a thought-for-thought translation without corruption by liberal bias
The existing Bible tells us not to do all of the really bad stuff we always do, like in Romans 13:1-7 where it says to shut the **** up and pay your ****ing taxes. These passages will be removed.

Quote:
Not Emasculated: avoiding unisex, "gender inclusive" language, and other feminist distortions; preserve many references to the unborn child (the NIV deletes these)
**** Judith Butler.

Quote:
Not Dumbed Down: not dumbing down the reading level, or diluting the intellectual force and logic of Christianity; the NIV is written at only the 7th grade level
The liberal (ha!) use of 'thee' and 'thou' makes the Bible sound more important.

Quote:
Utilize Powerful Conservative Terms: using powerful new conservative terms to capture better the original intent; Defective translations use the word "comrade" three times as often as "volunteer"; similarly, updating words that have a change in meaning, such as "word", "peace", and "miracle".
But definitely not updating words that have a change in meaning, such as "fisherman."

Quote:
Combat Harmful Addiction: combating addiction[5] by using modern terms for it, such as "gamble" rather than "cast lots";[6] using modern political terms, such as "register" rather than "enroll" for the census
Definitely not dumbing it down.

Quote:
Accept the Logic of Hell: applying logic with its full force and effect, as in not denying or downplaying the very real existence of Hell or the Devil.
Passages that establish hell as something other than a relic of pre-Constantine Greco-roman popular culture will be added.

Quote:
Express Free Market Parables; explaining the numerous economic parables with their full free-market meaning
Matthew 19:16-30 will be deleted.

Quote:
Exclude Later-Inserted Inauthentic Passages: excluding the interpolated passages that liberals commonly put their own spin on, such as the adulteress story
Genesis 19:24 will be corrected to say "Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven, because they were all gay."

Quote:
Credit Open-Mindedness of Disciples: crediting open-mindedness, often found in youngsters like the eyewitnesses Mark and John, the authors of two of the Gospels
Open-mindedness is really important as long as you follow Jesus and do exactly what he says.

Quote:
Prefer Conciseness over Liberal Wordiness: preferring conciseness to the liberal style of high word-to-substance ratio; avoid compound negatives and unnecessary ambiguities; prefer concise, consistent use of the word "Lord" rather than "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" or "Lord God."
Definitely not dumbing it down.

The best part about the whole thing? None of them know Ancient Greek, none of them have ever seen a real ancient manuscript. Their "translation" project is an idea-for-idea rewrite based on the King James Version. Absolutely ****ing incredible. Republicans, this **** is why nobody takes you seriously.
2009-12-04, 11:52 PM #2
Sarah Palin 2012
2009-12-04, 11:57 PM #3
This isn't just Poe's *Law*, this is Poe's *beating me over the head with a tire iron*

Oh, sorry, I guess that's liberal wordiness. What I mean is that it makes my brain hurt.
Stuff
2009-12-05, 12:36 AM #4
aw, the religious are so cute. tee hee look at them go!
2009-12-05, 1:21 AM #5
No matter how old this news gets, it will never stop being funny.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-12-05, 1:57 AM #6
:carl:

There is no *facepalm* big enough for this....
2009-12-05, 3:09 AM #7
It's about time the bible's getting an overhaul, I'm sick of the evident liberal bias within.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-12-05, 3:50 AM #8
It seems like they want to change it from "if you're very selective and ignore massive sections of The Bible, you may be able to avoid the conclusion that God is a dick" to "God is definitely a dick".

I think this is a Good Thing, I hate ambiguity.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-12-05, 4:12 AM #9
Another useless translation to add to all of the useless translations in the world.
? :)
2009-12-05, 4:52 AM #10
oh man! this is almost embarrassing! seriously this is so stupid, the more i read this the dumber it gets!

Quote:
# Prefer Conciseness over Liberal Wordiness: preferring conciseness to the liberal style of high word-to-substance ratio; avoid compound negatives and unnecessary ambiguities; prefer concise, consistent use of the word "Lord" rather than "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" or "Lord God."

this makes absolutely no sense! the entire reason for the use of multiple versions of "lord" or "god" is to be "concise and consistent" with original manuscripts. the word that they want to use (Lord) to replace all the variations of "god" does not even denote divinity!

Quote:
# Prefer Conciseness over Liberal Wordiness: preferring conciseness to the liberal style of high word-to-substance ratio; avoid compound negatives and unnecessary ambiguities; prefer concise, consistent use of the word "Lord" rather than "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" or "Lord God."

yeah sure the disciples were open minded, but they were also idiotic and cowardly. i wonder if they will emphasize that as well?

Quote:
Accept the Logic of Hell: applying logic with its full force and effect, as in not denying or downplaying the very real existence of Hell or the Devil.

:huh:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-12-05, 5:01 AM #11
Quote:
Republicans, this **** is why nobody takes you seriously.

But Republicans aren't conservative and neither are the people doing this.
2009-12-05, 8:04 AM #12
This whole things feels like a huge troll.
2009-12-05, 8:21 AM #13
Any of them have the screen name Constantine?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-12-05, 8:46 AM #14
If there is a God, He would not accept people who read original text without commentary. Sorry, Christians, try to enjoy your eternal damnation.
:master::master::master:
2009-12-05, 8:54 AM #15
Quote:

That is the most ridiculous thing out of all of it. Anyone who has studied the Bible in a way that even attempts to preserve historical accuracy knows that Jews did not, and still do not, have a consensus on the existence of hell. They certainly don't believe in no devil, either. Hell, they didn't even have a heaven until they came across the Zoroastrians. Before then they believed all souls, both righteous and unrighteous, went to Sheol, the pit of the dead.
:master::master::master:
2009-12-05, 9:17 AM #16
I thought it was a joke at first :/

I still hope that its a joke. Going with what Obi said, it looks like something from Encyclopedia Dramatica.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-12-05, 9:22 AM #17
I don't think so, a lot of time has been put into this. Far more then any troll I've seen.
2009-12-05, 9:38 AM #18
Most conservative Christians are against any changes to the Bible. That's just a crazy minority.

It does seem like it could possibly be a troll, though.
2009-12-05, 9:41 AM #19
Originally posted by JM:
But Republicans aren't conservative and neither are the people doing this.

But Republicans [...] are the people doing this.
2009-12-05, 11:14 AM #20
liberal wordiness:

Quote:
In the wintertime, it's the frozen road that is competing with the view of ice-fogged frigid beauty. The cold, though, doesn't it split the cheechakos from the sourdoughs?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-12-05, 11:16 AM #21
Originally posted by Anakin9012:
Most conservative Christians are against any changes to the Bible. That's just a crazy minority.

Which one? LAWL.
? :)
2009-12-05, 1:09 PM #22
To be fair, a lot of current translations lose a lot of literary definitiveness by trying to put things in terms that "baby christians" can understand. But this reeks of extremist bigotry.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-12-05, 1:10 PM #23
It makes me sad that these people exist.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-12-05, 1:29 PM #24
I'm a republican so I must fully support this. :rolleyes:
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-12-05, 1:42 PM #25
Originally posted by Anakin9012:
Most conservative Christians are against any changes to the Bible.

Are these Christians aware of the many many changes that have happened with the bible?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-12-05, 1:52 PM #26
That can't be serious.... it's hilarious.

Also, that logo on the top left cracked me up;

'Conservapedia - The Trustworthy Encyclopedia'

Things that claim to be trustworthy or reliable (Faux News) usually aren't.

I've never seen this site before actually.

If this is serious, then it's even more hilarious. That is, if it wasn't so sad.

Yeah.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2009-12-05, 1:53 PM #27
Originally posted by zanardi:
I'm a republican so I must fully support this. :rolleyes:

The hands of the witnesses must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. You must purge the evil from among you.
2009-12-05, 2:26 PM #28
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The hands of the witnesses must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. You must purge the evil from among you.

That's actually a very good principal. It emphasizes the responsibility that the entire community shares in the enforcement of justice. Injustice is suddenly a lot more significant if you have to participate in carrying it out.
2009-12-05, 7:34 PM #29
I love Conservapedia. Their wackiness on science topics never fails to cheer me up, especially since they're being completely serious. Where else can you learn that unicorns are related to the triceratops. Or that Obama used HYPNOTIC MIND CONTROL POWERS :psyduck: to make people vote for him. Perhaps you're unaware that dinosaurs lived in vegetarian harmony with all other animals only 6,000 years ago. Of course who can forget the link between atheism and communism.

It's not all wacky fun though, pages on evolution promote vast amounts of eye rolling through the liberal use of selective quoting. Whilst pages dealing with homosexuality claim links to promiscuity, violence and pedophilia and are rather depressing to read.

But I want to finish on a positive note so reading of the exchange between Conservapedia's founder Andy Schlafly and biologist Richard Lenski will provide some giggles.
2009-12-05, 9:13 PM #30
Conservapedia is now my favorite website at the moment. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I have never read that level of hilarity.
>>untie shoes
2009-12-05, 9:21 PM #31
Originally posted by Shayol:
I love Conservapedia. Their wackiness on science topics never fails to cheer me up, especially since they're being completely serious. Where else can you learn that unicorns are related to the triceratops. Or that Obama used HYPNOTIC MIND CONTROL POWERS :psyduck: to make people vote for him. Perhaps you're unaware that dinosaurs lived in vegetarian harmony with all other animals only 6,000 years ago. Of course who can forget the link between atheism and communism.

It's not all necessarily written by the Fred Phelps of the Internet. Conservapedia was a popoular goon rush target over at SomethingAwful for a bit.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-12-05, 9:33 PM #32
Yeah, it was great watching them get confused over what was satire and what was their own.
2009-12-06, 1:58 AM #33
The true Christian interpretation of the bible is a pretty liberal text. I hate ****ing satanists that corrupt it.
2009-12-06, 4:22 AM #34
Won't this be pretty much the inverse of the Jefferson Bible?

↑ Up to the top!