Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → web cams
web cams
2009-12-05, 10:24 AM #1
Is there a difference in web cams? I know absolutely nothing about them.

I was thinking about getting one so I could capture video of myself playing the bass and for some online music courses.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-12-05, 11:20 AM #2
If you're going to be doing music on it, you might want to go a bit better than your standard logitech junk.

http://www.bluemic.com/consumeraudio/webcams.html

These are excellent for this application. The microphone is very high quality, and the webcam quality isn't too terrible either. The price is a bit more than your average cam though.
2009-12-05, 11:24 AM #3
I wasn't even aware that Blue made webcams. Those are sweet! They're only $80 too... I might have to pick one up.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-12-05, 12:08 PM #4
I don't think I'd need a mic, I'd run the audio straight into the PC.
2009-12-05, 12:12 PM #5
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I don't think I'd need a mic, I'd run the audio straight into the PC.

What!? That's suicide!
2009-12-05, 12:22 PM #6
Webcam audio is...
Well it's terrible is what it is.
2009-12-05, 12:51 PM #7
Originally posted by Tibby:
Webcam audio is...
Well it's terrible is what it is.

It doesn't have to be.
2009-12-05, 1:03 PM #8
i think tibby is referring to your average webcam mic

overall if you are intending to do video of you playing an instrument it's always best not to use a built in mic on the webcam even if it's a good mic... and if you plan to do voice+instrument it's a really good idea to get a small mixer if you don't already have one then run the output from the mixer to a separate audio device
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-12-05, 1:05 PM #9
Hey what are you studying chewie?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-12-05, 3:27 PM #10
Originally posted by saberopus:
What!? That's suicide!

???

Originally posted by Tracer:
Hey what are you studying chewie?

It's not a college course (I misspoke earlier), it's more like online lessons on mastering left & right hand technique. Hopefully it will clean up some of the bad technique problems I've got.
2009-12-05, 4:18 PM #11
So it's like a one-on-one lesson where you send him a video and he sends you one back? That's cool. Would you mind being specific about what stuff you're working on? I'm just curious. I like music.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-12-05, 4:49 PM #12
???

:huh:
2009-12-05, 7:41 PM #13
What? Hooking the back of my guitar amp up to my pc works swell, so it would for bass as well.

Unless that's a pop-culture joke that I'm missing.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-12-05, 9:18 PM #14
Yeah, I've gone from my rack into the line-in and it sounds fine when recording with Audacity, so I really don't know what you're talking about, unless you think I'm using the PC speakers as an amp/cabinet or something.

@ Tracer: From what I've read, the video is optional. If I choose, I can post video for the instructor to look at. It's at MusicDojo.com. The course I'm interested in the most is "Mastering Left & Right Hand Technique" - "A course dedicated to cleaning up bad habits and improving speed and dexterity for both the plucking and fretting hands. Applicable to all levels of players, this course will help to get you to the next level in your pursuit of technical excellence. Focuses on such topics as proper hand positions, improved muting techniques, economy of motion, and improved coordination. Recommended for any player looking to improve their technical ability and consistency."
2009-12-05, 11:57 PM #15
Yeah, I've gone from my rack into the line-in and it sounds fine when recording with Audacity, so I really don't know what you're talking about, unless you think I'm using the PC speakers as an amp/cabinet or something.

I think he assumed you were going straight from the instrument into the line-in on the sound card without using a pre-amp.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!