Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Strange Browser Issue (Possibly Spyware - Help!)
Strange Browser Issue (Possibly Spyware - Help!)
2009-12-05, 9:27 PM #1
I'm having a strange problem where words and phrases are randomly being highlighted on my web pages and being created into hyperlinks that direct to the following URL: http://www1.seekarium.com/trf_split.php?query=wordshere

Where "wordshere" at the end is different depending on what is highlighted. I've Googled seekarium.com with pretty much no results whatsoever. I'm wondering if this is possibly a brand new type of spyware or virus or something. Anyways, I've run Ad-Aware, Avira, and Microsoft Security Essentials and none of them can find any traces of spyware or malware on my system.

I don't know what to do, but whatever this is just started appearing and I have no idea how to remove it. I accidentally clicked the link the first time I saw it and Avira popped up a message telling me that the site was trying to download a trojan, so I know that these hyperlinks definitely have some sort of malicious intent.

If anyone could shed any light on this, or possibly tell me how I might go about fixing an issue like this I would greatly appreciate it. I really don't want to have to reformat, though.

[Edit]: After I posted this I uploaded a screenshot of what my post looks like with these links.
Attachment: 23177/hyperlinks.jpg (49,805 bytes)
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2009-12-05, 9:32 PM #2
Huh, run spybot and do a scan with whatever av you use.
2009-12-05, 9:37 PM #3
Originally posted by Tibby:
Huh, run spybot and do a scan with whatever av you use.

Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Anyways, I've run Ad-Aware, Avira, and Microsoft Security Essentials and none of them can find any traces of spyware or malware on my system.

Please read a thread before replying to it.
Author of the JK levels:

2009-12-05, 9:38 PM #4
Ohhh. Well I guess the only real next step is reinstalling the browser.
2009-12-05, 9:40 PM #5
I was hoping for some real advice, not some vague guessing from you, Tibby.
Author of the JK levels:

2009-12-05, 9:49 PM #6
Superantispyware

Run

Profit?

(yes I read)
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-12-05, 9:52 PM #7
Please read a thread before replying to it.

I was hoping for some real advice, not some vague guessing from you, Tibby.

You know, comments like this posted in response to a real (albeit misguided) attempt to help you out really isn't going to encourage anyone else to respond in a helpful manner.
2009-12-05, 9:55 PM #8
It's my own fault I didn't read the whole post.
2009-12-05, 9:56 PM #9
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Behold, a haiku:
superantispyware. run.
profit? (yes I read)

2009-12-05, 9:56 PM #10
Originally posted by DSettahr:
You know, comments like this posted in response to a real (albeit misguided) attempt to help you out really isn't going to encourage anyone else to respond in a helpful manner.

But that's just it. His attempt to help was not an attempt at all. It was him posting just to post as he usually does, in every thread he clicks on. I'm taking Oni's advice right now and trying out SuperAntiSpyware, though I doubt it'll catch anything that the other three programs did not.
Author of the JK levels:

2009-12-05, 10:01 PM #11
@Vornskyr

I lol'd.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-12-05, 10:35 PM #12
If you haven't actually run Spybot, do it; it might succeed where others have failed. Also try process explorer and see if it can find anything fishy. If that fails run Hijackthis and post the report.

Another thing to do is look through your add remove programs list. It might be some crap-ware that piggybacked on some other program you installed, which isn't actually classified as Spyware by some scanners.

And reinstalling your browser isn't a bad idea. Make sure you delete all of its folders after you uninstall it though.
2009-12-05, 11:01 PM #13
I would also run hijackthis and see if anything fishy appears
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-12-06, 12:08 AM #14
Does it do it in multiple browsers? There's not much out there about Seekarium, but I'm betting you have a BHO that has gotten installed by the site. I've seen references to a javascript that some adbots use that references seekarium. They're a pay per search provider, so I'm assuming referral points are involved in one way or another.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-12-06, 11:57 PM #15
Originally posted by Yecti:
I'm betting you have a BHO.

Barack Hussein Obama?
:master::master::master:
2009-12-07, 12:20 AM #16
Check your browser's addons and make sure there isn't something installed there. If there is, remove it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-12-07, 8:00 AM #17
Does this happen only on a specific browser or on all browsers? Which browser if not all?

Originally posted by mb:
I would also run hijackthis and see if anything fishy appears

Do this if IE is affected. Also check the Manage Addons dialog (which is easier to digest than hijackthis).

Originally posted by stat:
Barack Hussein Obama?

Browser Helper Object, an IE addon type. If it's an IE-specific issue this is likely the cause.

Run this program if the problem affects all browsers: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm and post the list it gives you (same with hijackthis).

[Edit: Since you simply VISITED a website and malware was attempted to be installed, I'm gonna guess you're using IE. :P]

2009-12-07, 10:26 AM #18
I was thinking the same thing. It looks like a browser addon, perhaps not something that would register as spyware.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-12-07, 8:16 PM #19
Especially if it was bundled with something that you installed and you forgot to deselect it. "Oh we're legit, see, the user CHOSE to install us!" So they don't get flagged.

↑ Up to the top!