Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → starwars tank thing?
starwars tank thing?
2009-12-05, 10:48 PM #1
I've had this for about 20 years, I don't know what it is. I don't recognise it from the movies.

Underneath it has lettering:
(C) Lucasfilm LTD 1981
Made in Hong Kong
No 40020

[http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4461/20091206141335small.jpg]

It appears to be star wars of some kind, at any rate it's the size for this feller to fit in:
[http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5958/20091206141417small.jpg]

There's also some kind of starwars motorbike thing with wheels somewhere around that I haven't seen for ages and could never identify from the movies. And this, which is metal and dated 1980. It seems fairly durable, but they're all childhood leftovers, so they've taken a lot of bumps.

[http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8193/20091206141353small.jpg]
2009-12-05, 11:05 PM #2
I owned and cherished the vehicles guide book and I have no idea what the hell is in the first picture.
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-12-05, 11:07 PM #3
Well, the only movies Lucasfilm had released by 1981 were American Graffiti, More American Graffiti, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Probably just Kenner taking some liberties with their action figure vehicles.
2009-12-05, 11:20 PM #4
Originally posted by Gettleburger:
I owned and cherished the vehicles guide book and I have no idea what the hell is in the first picture.

:master:

I also had the weapons book and the Star Wars Encyclopedia. Life of a star wars fan before EP1 was so grand. The last 10 years have absolutely ruined the theme.
2009-12-05, 11:42 PM #5
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:

I also had the weapons book and the Star Wars Encyclopedia. Life of a star wars fan before EP1 was so grand. The last 10 years have absolutely ruined the theme.

I'll see you your 3 paltry Star Wars sourcebooks, and raise you my 47.
Attachment: 23180/DSCN3018.JPG (949,898 bytes)
2009-12-05, 11:47 PM #6
All I have is the Essential guide to Weapons and Technology, and some other one with a silver cover.
2009-12-05, 11:59 PM #7
Originally posted by DSettahr:

I would love to have that collection. I have a near complete power of the force action figure collection, but sadly very few books.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-12-06, 4:14 AM #8
The only one I owned was The Courtship of Princess Leia :nonono:

You've got the Illustrated Star Wars Universe there which was one of my favourite Star Wars books of all. At the age of 12 it seemed like the most imaginative sci-fi I'd ever read.
2009-12-06, 6:32 AM #9
Apparently that little tank thing is the MLC-3 Mobile Laser Cannon.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-12-06, 6:56 AM #10
They do look very much alike. Good find.
? :)
2009-12-06, 7:25 AM #11
Yeah, he beat me to it. Here is a page out of a Steve Sansweet book of mine:

[http://members.cox.net/wookie06/images/misc/minirigs.JPG]
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-12-06, 7:40 AM #12
Hoth Stuff!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-12-06, 7:45 AM #13
That bottom right one reminds me of something out of the Super Star Wars games.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-12-06, 8:14 AM #14
Those essential books rocked. I used to read them front to back haha

I never heard about half the stuff, so it was cool.
2009-12-06, 11:39 AM #15
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:

I disagree, episode 1 introduced ****tons of older technology and gave an insight to the old republic. That gap of 2-3 years before the released Episode 2, I can remember as a kid becoming completely obsessed with the expanded universe of starwars old and new. (or rather new and old to be chronologically correct), I have several books and guides on episode 1 that were absolutely great. For example:

[http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6204/dk44701lg.jpg]

Episode 1's acting may have been incredibly sub par but the plot was there, and solid. Episode 2 is what really ruined it for everyone. With even worse acting the Episode 1 and a shoddy love story, when you think of the new movies most everyone thinks "urghhh episode 2" The third film was actually great with the exception of the "nooooooo" scene.

I suppose I personally attach to episode 1 since it was such a large part of my childhood. My best friend and I ate everything Starwars for breakfast lunch and dinner.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-12-06, 11:41 AM #16
I liked Episode 1. Star Wars was "good" for me up through Episode 1.
一个大西瓜
2009-12-06, 1:33 PM #17
I have the characters/weapons/vehicles guide as well as a d20 rulebook and a bunch of new jedi order books. But DShettar is the master
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-12-06, 1:53 PM #18
Originally posted by Onimusha:
I disagree, episode 1 introduced ****tons of older technology and gave an insight to the old republic. [...]
Episode 1's acting may have been incredibly sub par but the plot was there, and solid.

=/

I think it probably has to do with what age you were when each movie came out. Since I was old enough in 1999 to have read pretty much all the EU that'd been released by that point, Episode I ruined it for me... it destroyed a heck of a lot of the canon. (Besides, as a story in its own right, it really isn't much better than Ep. II.)

But then again, I imagine that if I'd come of age between ESB and RotJ, I might have had a similarly sour reaction in '83 to the silliness and structural flaws of RotJ.
2009-12-06, 2:20 PM #19
You've got quite a point.

As far as canon, I think SW has done a fairly good job of maintaining this throughout most of the movies. If anything, the only thing I can point out is that the "older" types of technology found throughout episodes 1-3 seem to greatly outshine the "newer" ones in episodes 4-6. I guess one could look at it like cars. Back in the 30's-50's they had quite a fancy and classy look to them, now-a-days they have move of a practical approach to design. Still kind of bothers me though. Old republic technology was sweet.

With the new movies, I felt they were rushed. Trying to cram too much storyline into 3 movies wasn't such a good idea. I wanted alot more focus on "good" anakin, and his experiences with Obi-Wan and such. Similar to the Jedi Apprentice series of books which focused on Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's master/apprentice relationship.
-Martyn
2009-12-06, 2:37 PM #20
I just wanted good movies that were targeted at the same audience the OT was targeted at. Lucas decided to lower the age group of the target audience and with that ruined the new trilogy.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-12-06, 2:41 PM #21
they WERE targeted at the same audience, it is just that the audience for the OT had grown up since then, also, remember that the majority of people who see these movies are not super obsesive about little side stories only mentioned in supplimental materials (if they have even read any).
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-12-06, 3:22 PM #22
I disagree. I never read any of the EU and couldn't care two farts about what's "canon" or not, but it really did seem that a lot more of the prequels was aimed at little kids. Stormtroopers were never as ridiculous and cutesy as battledroids and their banters. I'm especially reminded of the hanger in the beginning of the 3rd movie with R2 and a gaggle of cutesy droids.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-12-06, 3:27 PM #23
Originally posted by UltimatePotato:
I disagree. I never read any of the EU and couldn't care two farts about what's "canon" or not, but it really did seem that a lot more of the prequels was aimed at little kids. Stormtroopers were never as ridiculous and cutesy as battledroids and their banters. I'm especially reminded of the hanger in the beginning of the 3rd movie with R2 and a gaggle of cutesy droids.

That was incredibly ridiculous. The droids from episode 1 were tolerable, but in the newer movies, absolutely not. If anything every droid with the intention of killing should be a copy of Ig-88, maybe just a little less intelligent with predictability and such but same idea.
-Martyn
2009-12-06, 3:27 PM #24
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Yeah, he beat me to it. Here is a page out of a Steve Sansweet book of mine:

http://members.cox.net/wookie06/images/misc/minirigs.JPG

Awesome. I have several of those. They came out during TESB , and they weren't in the movie, which made them all the more intriguing. The thing with Bossk in it was my favourite. It was supposed to be some kind of Bounty Hunter's Vehicle, with a clasp at the back to carry captives, as you can see with the Rebel officer. Best thing about it, is that it has suction cups on the legs!

The thing with the Snowtrooper in it is awesome too. There are springs in the legs. You can push the thing all the way down, and the rollers will extend on the front and back end. It bounces back up in vertical position when you release it. It's a great terrain vehicle toy.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2009-12-06, 4:07 PM #25
Originally posted by Onimusha:
That was incredibly ridiculous. The droids from episode 1 were tolerable, but in the newer movies, absolutely not. If anything every droid with the intention of killing should be a copy of Ig-88, maybe just a little less intelligent with predictability and such but same idea.

Kevin J. Anderson already took droids in that direction, and the result was something that all copies of which should be burned and never mentioned again.
2009-12-06, 5:29 PM #26
I only have a few sourcebooks but I have around 40-50 EU novels. I can never get enough Star Wars.
2009-12-06, 5:42 PM #27
I've got a dozen or so novels, plus a half dozen sourcebooks of various sorts. I'm also quick to reference Wookieepedia for a lot of things.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-12-06, 10:30 PM #28
Kevin J. Anderson already took droids in that direction, and the result was something that all copies of which should be burned and never mentioned again.

Totallllllyyyy different. I don't even think he actually wrote that story, he just edited the entire book.
-Martyn

↑ Up to the top!