Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Best Scene Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Best Scene Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2009-12-06, 12:27 PM #1
What's the best scene in the whole trilogy?
I say, the best scene is the lighting of the beacons.

2009-12-06, 12:34 PM #2
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-12-06, 12:38 PM #3
Hands down:

Gave me chills in the theater when I saw it, the music, lighting and the echoes as they charge down... just awesome.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-12-06, 12:52 PM #4
Gandalf's showdown with the Balrog in Moria.
2009-12-06, 1:30 PM #5
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-12-06, 1:32 PM #6
The end credits.

Just kidding really, I haven't watched the movies in eons (actually I don't even own them anymore) but I remember RotK EE having some spanktastic moments.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-12-06, 1:52 PM #7
Originally posted by DSettahr:

The second scene in The Two Towers though, where they explain it. That was grand.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-12-06, 2:13 PM #8
I rather enjoyed the third ending of RotK when Aragorn tells the hobbits "you bow to no one."
>>untie shoes
2009-12-06, 2:34 PM #9
I like this part, forgot what part it was though...
[http://minutillo.com/steve/weblog/images/tank-cat.jpg]

But seriously, my favorite is probably Gandalf + Eomer charging down Helm's Deep and just kicking some booty. The music is what really makes it good.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-12-06, 2:39 PM #10
Originally posted by Antony:
I rather enjoyed the third ending of RotK when Aragorn tells the hobbits "you bow to no one."

I was just about to say this. It was on TV right now on TNT and I remembered the scene. I love these freaking films.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-12-06, 2:48 PM #11
Too bad the real movie doesn't have that soundtrack. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFK1F0uXziM
幻術
2009-12-06, 3:31 PM #12
The Scouring of the Shire.

Oh wait...

Umm...The Battle on Pelennor Fields.

Mount Doom was quite the page turner though.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-12-06, 3:42 PM #13
http://havemyaxe.ytmnd.com/

And:
(language warning)

Personally, I'm a big fan of the scene where Eomer and Gimli argue whether Arwyn or Galadriel was prettier, threatened to fight each other, and then decided that they were both equally beautiful, but of different types of beauty. Why? Because it punctuates just how much better Return of the King would have ended if Peter Jackson had written that book.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-12-06, 3:52 PM #14
Saruman falling off of Orthanc onto a giant spike in the beginning of the extended edition of Return of the King
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-12-06, 3:59 PM #15
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Because it punctuates just how much better Return of the King would have ended if Peter Jackson had written that book.

what?
2009-12-06, 4:37 PM #16
Return of the King should have ended without all that stupid Shire crap. Peter Jackson's ending of Return of the King was overextended, but Tolkien's was far worse.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-12-06, 4:41 PM #17
Well, I disagree on that point, but I know that's how most people feel. I don't get how it's related to the Eomer/Gimli argument, though.
2009-12-06, 4:50 PM #18
The best scene is Boromir taking arrows in the chest by that big orcy guy. And the scene with Aragorn finding him.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-12-06, 6:21 PM #19
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Return of the King should have ended without all that stupid Shire crap. Peter Jackson's ending of Return of the King was overextended, but Tolkien's was far worse.

Horrible taste.
2009-12-06, 7:05 PM #20
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
The best scene is Boromir taking arrows in the chest by that big orcy guy. And the scene with Aragorn finding him.

This is one of my favorites as well.
2009-12-06, 10:08 PM #21
[http://www.tolkienforums.com/Mouth%20of%20sauron%20image.jpg]
2009-12-07, 12:36 AM #22
Originally posted by dalf:
The Scouring of the Shire.

Oh wait...

QFBTWIWGTS

To the ****ing word.
2009-12-07, 1:03 PM #23
Originally posted by saberopus:
[http://www.tolkienforums.com/Mouth%20of%20sauron%20image.jpg]

Too true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrLizclY8nU
I love him, he's so happy.
2009-12-07, 1:47 PM #24
Originally posted by Vornskr:
Well, I disagree on that point, but I know that's how most people feel. I don't get how it's related to the Eomer/Gimli argument, though.

He's saying that because PJ managed to create a nice little scene like that, it's a testament to his storytelling ability, and shows that he would (in Wolfy's opinion) have done a better job with ending the book than Tolkien himself did.

Geez, you people!
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-12-07, 2:16 PM #25
oh. but that scene was from the book. Second or third page of the chapter "Many meetings":

"And before [Eomer] went to the rest he sent for Gimli the Dwarf, and he said to him: 'Gimli Gloin's son, have you your axe ready?'
'Nay, lord,' said Gimli, 'but I can speedily fetch it, if there be need.'
'You shall judge,' said Eomer. 'For there are certain rash words concerning the Lady in the Golden Wood that lie still between us. And now I have seen her with my eyes.'
'Well, lord,' said Gimli, 'and what say you now?'
'Alas!' said Eomer. 'I will not say that she is the fairest lady that lives.'
'Then I must go for my axe,' said Gimli.
'But first I will plead this excuse,' said Eomer. 'Had I seen her in other company, I would have said all that you could wish. But now I will put Queen Arwen Evenstar first, and I am ready to do battle on my own part with any who deny me. Shall I call for my sword?'
Then Gimli bowed low. 'Nay, you are excused for my part, lord,' he said. 'You have chosen the Evening; but my love is given to the Morning. And my heart forebodes that soon it will pass away for ever.'"
2009-12-07, 2:44 PM #26
Best scene ever was Tom Bombadil. Took me ages to find that easter egg.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2009-12-07, 7:28 PM #27
"Fourty-two Master Legolas", said Gimli. "Alas, my axe is notched for the fourty second had an iron collar around his neck"

I'm sure I misquoted that.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-12-07, 7:46 PM #28
The extended edition scene in Two Towers when Legolas and Gimli discuss kill counts:

The Rohirrim's arrival and charge at the Pelennor fields:

And Gandalf's fight with the Balrog in Two Towers:

2009-12-07, 8:07 PM #29
why did you throw the bread over the cliff?
2009-12-07, 8:16 PM #30
Foundations of Stone is my favorite track from the OST.
2009-12-08, 7:31 AM #31
I wish I had internet at home, I'd post the GIF of them using a catapult to launch Frodo into Mordor.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-12-08, 7:39 AM #32
Quote:

+1
? :)
2009-12-08, 7:42 AM #33
My favorite scene was definately Theoden's speech and the ensuing battle cry and charge when the Rohirrim arrive at Pelenor Fields. I get shivers every damn time.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-12-08, 7:50 AM #34

Third ending?

Also, there is mention of Gimli and Eomer arguing over who is more beautiful. Was that in the books? I have the extended edition of the LOTR films and never saw that. O_o
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-12-08, 12:10 PM #35
Well, I guess Wolfy is saying that that scene in the book sucked, then.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-12-08, 5:13 PM #36

Another good one that gives me goosebumps.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-12-08, 5:17 PM #37
That scene never did anything for me. Dunno why.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-12-08, 5:24 PM #38
I never read any of the books, but none of the scenes in the movies really stand out to me. I did like the little interchange about second breakfast, but it wasn't spectacular. Overall, I didn't really care for the movies. They were OK, but about an hour too long each and kind of boring.
2009-12-08, 6:44 PM #39
All this talk about Lord of the Rings make me wish New Lines would hurry up and release the Extended Editions on Blu-Ray. Anyhow, no one seem to have mentioned the scene towards the end of Return of the King where Aragon and company rush to the black gate with a choir rendition of the fellowship theme playing.

↑ Up to the top!