Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you m...."
"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you m...."
2009-12-14, 10:16 PM #1
With each passing day, I like firefox less and less. Does anybody else get this message when they try to re-open a firefox browser? Sometimes I get it 3, 4, even 5 times in a row. Gah!
2009-12-14, 10:18 PM #2
Usually it's because either you tried opening it immediately after closing, and it was still shutting down (when it disappears the process isn't actually closed out yet, that takes a few seconds), or because Firefox crashed and the process is still running.

You can always just kill the firefox.exe process.
2009-12-14, 10:19 PM #3
occasionally it happens... firefox decides to take 3 forevers to stop running

only 2 options... kill the process or wait until it's done... either way takes about the same amount of time
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-12-14, 10:20 PM #4
I ditched FF ages ago in the name of Chrome
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-12-14, 10:26 PM #5
Originally posted by Deadman:
I ditched FF ages ago in the name of Chrome

Yeah, I use them both, unfortunately Chrome does not get along with PayPal shipping at all and I can't do what I use my PC for 75% of the time.
2009-12-14, 11:48 PM #6
Usually only happens when FF crashes on me and doesn't shut down properly.
Pissed Off?
2009-12-14, 11:51 PM #7
Chrome works fine for me with PayPal, and yea I ditched FF for it also. If Firefox does that, just open up task manager and kill the remaining processe(s).
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-12-14, 11:55 PM #8
Yeah I use chrome with paypal and everything, haven't had any problems.
2009-12-15, 12:08 AM #9
It works fine until I go to print a shipping label....where you have the choice to print the real label or the sample label, I choose to print real label and it only prints sample label. Choosing sample label also prints sample label :(
2009-12-15, 12:14 AM #10
Oh I see, bugger.
2009-12-15, 12:38 AM #11
Chrome +1
2009-12-15, 1:46 AM #12
Lately I've been using the current Windows XP compatible versions of the following browsers: Firefox, IE, Safari, Chrome, and Opera. In my experience, Opera is superior to the rest of them, but I only started using it a few days ago so this isn't yet my conclusive opinion.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-12-15, 10:04 AM #13
I miss Firebird :(
2009-12-15, 10:24 AM #14
It was originally called Phoenix.

Anyway, yeah, firefox can take a long time to shut down, even though it appears gone fairly quickly. It happens to me all the time, I just learned to live with it because of all the useful firefox addons.
2009-12-15, 12:00 PM #15
Steam does something similar for me, I can never close it and immediately restart it without waiting a few seconds.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-12-15, 8:46 PM #16
Steam has always been slow. Firefox just slows down as you use it more.

Suggestions
- Optimize your SQLite databases in your profile. No I'm not gonna tell you how it's not a simple task, go Google it.
- Remove (or disable, but that doesn't speed up the startup by as much) extensions or themes you no longer use.
- Use the default theme.
- Clear browser data.
- Systematically disable extensions and benchmark startup and shutdown time to discover troublemakers. For example, when my firefox was taking 30 seconds to start up and 10 to shut down, I found AdBlock Plus was responsible for 11 of those seconds on startup and 6 seconds on shutdown. Further investigation revealed wiping its preferences and setting them again fixed this completely.

2009-12-15, 9:42 PM #17
I switched from Opera to FF the other day.
FF is better for videos or small amounts of pages, Opera is great for anything that requires a million pages at once.(Research)
2009-12-15, 9:42 PM #18
Hmm.

Basically every program I run uses some variant of SQLite for backing store. I wonder when someone will start integrating or bundling a full SQL server and exposing it through platform APIs.
2009-12-15, 9:51 PM #19
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Hmm.

Basically every program I run uses some variant of SQLite for backing store. I wonder when someone will start integrating or bundling a full SQL server and exposing it through platform APIs.

Related: See Ubuntu's cloud system. Uses some off the wall SQL system that gets synced to the Ubuntu servers.
2009-12-15, 9:55 PM #20
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Hmm.

Yeah, it would be nice if everything were in a central db.
2009-12-17, 4:41 PM #21
Originally posted by Martyn:
Chrome +1

yeah i'm starting to jump on the chrome bandwagon

not a huge fan of the way it handles tabs or the location of the tabs but flash in firefox was real hit or miss on some sites (band pages on myspace would be a crap shoot if the music player actually loaded) and firefox occasionally tarding out is worth the annoyance of the way chrome handles tabs (though i've run into a couple sites where middle clicking not only opens in a new tab like it should but also opens the link in the same tab which is five kinds of annoying)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-12-17, 4:46 PM #22
I think firefox is going to this one-process-per-tab model in it's next major version.
2009-12-17, 5:16 PM #23
Chrome's had quite a few quirks that annoy me, although many of them stem from flashblock/adblock.

One of the major annoyances in general though is that the forum's WYSIWYG editor javascript isn't loading. Thus, I can't press ctrl+I to italicize easily, for instance.
2009-12-17, 8:24 PM #24
Let's take a look at that JS.

Code:
/*======================================================================*\
|| #################################################################### ||
|| # vBulletin 3.8.4
|| # ---------------------------------------------------------------- # ||
|| # Copyright ©2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. All Rights Reserved. ||
|| # This file may not be redistributed in whole or significant part. # ||
|| # ---------------- VBULLETIN IS NOT FREE SOFTWARE ---------------- # ||
|| # http://www.vbulletin.com | http://www.vbulletin.com/license.html # ||
|| #################################################################### ||
\*======================================================================*/

Oh no CM is violating the license by putting it on his server!111

Code:
vB_Text_Editor(editorid,mode,parsetype,parsesmilies,initial_text,ajax_extra){this.editorid=editorid;this.wysiwyg_mode=parseInt(mode,10)?1:0;this.initialized=false;this.parsetype=(typeof parsetype=="undefined"?"nonforum":parsetype);this.ajax_extra=(typeof parsetype=="undefined"?"":ajax_extra);this.parsesmilies=(typeof parsesmilies=="undefined"?1:parsesmilies);this.popupmode=(typeof vBmenu=="undefined"?false:true);this.controlbar=fetch_object(this.editorid+"_controls");this.textobj=fetch_object(this.editorid+"_textarea");this.buttons=new Array();this.popups=new Array();this.prompt_popup=null;this.fontstate=null;this.sizestate=null;this.colorstate=null;this.clipboard="";this.disabled=false;this.history=new vB_History();this.influx=0;this.allowbasicbbcode=((typeof allowbasicbbcode!="undefined"&&allowbasicbbcode)?true:false);this.ltr=((typeof ltr!="undefined"&<r=="right")?"right":"left");this.init=function(){if(this.initialized){return }this.textobj.disabled=false;if(this.tempiframe){this.tempiframe.parentNode.removeChild(this.tempiframe)}this.set_editor_contents(initial_text);this.set_editor_functions();this.init_controls();this.init_smilies(fetch_object(this.editorid+"_smiliebox"));if(typeof

Oh my I see why you didn't just jump in and fix it. :psyduck:

↑ Up to the top!