Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Bluray
Bluray
2009-12-15, 1:31 AM #1
I have a Samsung 72" rear projection 1080p TV that I bought recently for my apartment and decided it's time to get a bluray player instead of streaming videos from my computer. My problem is that I don't know what upconversion and all of that **** means. Can anyone recommend a good bluray player for around $200 for my TV?
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-12-15, 2:01 AM #2
paging drunkjedi82
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-12-15, 5:16 AM #3
You can get a decent BR player for under $200. Probably ~$125ish now. The cheapest I have seen them is $78 at wally world.

Upconversion is taking DVDs from their native res of 640x480 up to whatever the player's max is. Most of them goto 1080i. I think even the Xbox 360 does this with DVDs.

If you use HDMI, don't buy cables at ANY store, you can get cables online, from warehouses, for dirt cheap. I got 25ft of HDMI for around $10.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-12-15, 6:39 AM #4
The 360 only "upscales" DVDs under certain conditions. In any case, upconversion is nothing to worry about, the quality difference simply isn't that big.

Also, you obviously won't be upscaling anything if it's Bluray.

Finally, to continue what KOP said, Monoprice is the only place you should get cables, unless you needed it like, yesterday. Dirt cheap, and high quality.
2009-12-15, 7:29 AM #5
I've never used them, but Best Buy sells combo players that do bluray and stream from netflix, and I believe they are all under $200 (on sale they were $100). Also, in case you didn't catch it, upscaling is only for DVDs. I find that an upscaled DVD looks much better on my HDTV than using my old DVD player.
2009-12-15, 7:47 AM #6
I also like [url]www.cablewholesale.com[/url] for cables.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-12-15, 9:32 AM #7
the samsung BD-P1600 is probably the most popular BD player under $200 you can get it for $150 on amazon

it supports the current bluray profile and includes streaming support for netflix, blockbuster, pandora, and youtube
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!