Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Tech: Google Sketchup, JED/ZED, JK/MotS & virtualization
Tech: Google Sketchup, JED/ZED, JK/MotS & virtualization
2009-12-19, 9:25 AM #1
I recently downloaded Google Sketchup & have been working my way through the video tutorials which has been rather enjoyable. The application is rather intuitive & is a pleasure to use for someone like me that has never bothered learning anything more advanced than JED/ZED. I noticed here that with the pro version one can export models in various formats. However, I'm more curious as to whether or not I would be able to import my models in to JED/ZED for use with JK/MotS (assuming they met the criteria). Also, I recently made the switch to Mac/OSX & am interested in finding out how well JED/ZED & JK/MotS run using a virtualization application (Fusion, Parallels, VirtualBox, etc.) & which solution would best fit my needs. I had Windows installed via Boot Camp but didn't like constantly having to reboot & if this is a requirement then I'd probably find another hobby.
? :)
2009-12-19, 10:22 AM #2
Brian's been running ZED under VMWare Fusion as I understand. You might want to consider dual booting (which doesn't cost for the virtualisation software AND runs faster) though.
2009-12-19, 10:38 AM #3
Sketchup is the only way to fly for architects :P
2009-12-19, 11:02 AM #4
I'm going to try VirtualBox first just because it's free & see what kind of results that I get before looking in to anything else.
2009-12-19, 11:05 AM #5
Yeah, Zed works under fusion, but JK didn't. Apparently they've made some major improvements to the 3d in 3.0. I upgraded to 3.0 but my windows vm became useless due to severe problems with vmware tools. They recently released an update that supposedly fixes it but I haven't used my windows vm in a long time. I use bootcamp because it's much better than running under fusion.
2009-12-19, 2:13 PM #6
VirtualBox appears to run JED/ZED fairly well. However, as you stated was the case with Fusion, JK/MotS don't appear to run. I failed to check the 2D/3D acceleration boxes when installing the OS though so I may do it all over again just to verify that this wasn't the issue.

Anyone know if any of these formats can be imported in to JED/ZED?

• 3DS (.3ds)
  • AutoCAD DWG (.dwg)
  • AutoCAD DXF (.dxf)
  • COLLADA (.dae)
  • FBX (.fbx).
  • OBJ (.obj)
  • XSI (.xsi)
  • VRML (.vrml)
2009-12-19, 2:33 PM #7
I believe there is an importer for .dxf somewhere, for JED.
2009-12-19, 2:56 PM #8
Sweet! I found it over at the JKHUB. Thanks!
2009-12-20, 9:53 AM #9
For ****-sake can someone please tell me how to stitch surfaces in JED/ZED on a Mac keyboard? There's no ****ing insert key. I basically just need the CTRL-INSERT & SHIFT-INSERT equivalent.
2009-12-20, 10:15 AM #10
fn+enter does insert, apparently, so I would imagine fn+shift+enter would do what you want.
2009-12-20, 10:25 AM #11
Erm, stitching can be done with ; and ' right? Lack of insert key sucks, yeah.
2009-12-20, 11:35 AM #12
That did it. Thanks!
2009-12-20, 5:47 PM #13
JK ran perfectly under VMware Workstation with Windows as the host OS.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-12-20, 6:07 PM #14
Does it actually import workable sectors?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-12-20, 6:21 PM #15
Jedi Knight works with VirtualBox. I simply made the mistake of not enabling 3D acceleration. w00t!

↑ Up to the top!