Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I had to get to the lighthouse... I didn't know why...
I had to get to the lighthouse... I didn't know why...
2010-06-08, 7:12 PM #1
Played this game at my friend's place and in my opinion it's pure awesome. It's been a while that I was so thrilled to be playing a game. Once I finished it all I could think about was playing it again.

I must say that I am a huge Twin Peaks fan so that helps.

So who's got it, and what do you think of it? I was surprised there isn't a thread about this yet. I am, of course, talking about Alan Wake.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2010-06-08, 8:32 PM #2
Alan Wake is the last two words in your post, you filthy skank.
2010-06-08, 8:39 PM #3
They dumped the PC release.
**** them.
2010-06-08, 9:25 PM #4
Uh... what game?
I'm just a little boy.
2010-06-08, 9:42 PM #5
Originally posted by Tibby:
**** them.

this.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2010-06-08, 9:47 PM #6
bioshock?
2010-06-08, 10:03 PM #7
Oh, I see. Alan Wake is the name of the game. I thought you were just name dropping someone I've never heard of.
I'm just a little boy.
2010-06-08, 10:09 PM #8
**** them.

Definitely this, which made you mentioning the name last even more annoying :p
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-06-08, 11:45 PM #9
From what I remember, it was initially PC only.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2010-06-09, 12:29 AM #10
Not the first time microsoft has taken something destined for pc and binded it to a console, but unlike with halo I actually give a crap.
Wonder if in a years time we get a poorly ported version of this xbox 'exclusive'
2010-06-09, 4:19 AM #11
Originally posted by saberopus:
Alan Wake is the last two words in your post, you filthy skank.

:P

I too hate the fact that they didn't make it for PC. However, it's Remedy and they really like to do PC releases. Then again, Microsoft is the publisher so the chances of it happening look pretty slim actually.

Aside from that, I absolutely recommend this game to people with a 360.

Am I the only one who played this?
2010-06-09, 4:53 AM #12
Not releasing something for PC is stupid. "Only this computer can run our game." I understand it's a lot more work than that to port, I just think it's a silly distinction and will only cost them money if they actually think piracy is going to bankrupt them.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-06-09, 5:23 AM #13
I had read there was a huge debate going on about how it's not even true HD (720p) format. Which in todays tech (outside of nintendo) is fail.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-06-09, 5:26 AM #14
Quote:
Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience "Alan Wake" was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform." said a Microsoft spokesperson.

Why is it that microsoft of all people seem to have no idea about the pc? I don't know a single person who doesn't have their pc hooked up to the tv as well as their own monitor. Microsoft themselves made sure the xbox controller can be easily plugged into the pc... So you have the same controller, same screen, what's different? The chance of having better specs and making the game look/run even better? OH NO!

I don't believe that flimsy excuse for a second. The real reason is microsoft sucks [/rant]
2010-06-09, 6:03 AM #15
Despite being more of a console than PC gamer because my PC can't run any modern games, I fully agree with Deadman. The "playing comfily on the couch" argument is entirely lame when a PC can be hooked up to a television and a console can be hooked up to a monitor.

in fact, the only things console gaming has had going for it as far as I'm concerned are the generally lower price of the system itself (peripherals are more expensive than on the PC; what they charge for extra HD space for instance seems almost criminal), and having a standard platform...which actually only Nintendo really does anymore, and it also has its disadvantages anyhow.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2010-06-09, 6:05 AM #16
Ignoring all that *****ing about it not being on PC...

It's a pretty awesome game, but really short. Being familiar with Twin Peaks definitely helps too, as it definitely borrows a lot of stuff from it. Unfortunately the game came out on the same day as Red Dead Redemption, so I feel like it's gotten overshadowed a lot by it (RDR is a better game, but they're both still pretty awesome).
2010-06-09, 6:21 AM #17
Quote:
I opened the door and stepped into the darkened room.

The room I stepped into was dark. It had a lack of proper lighting, contributing to the darkness. The darkness made it hard to see. I had to try extra-hard to see in the darkness, since the room was so dark.

I looked around the dark room. There was a door. I walked to the door, through the darkness. It was dark. I tried to open the door. It was locked. The locked door would prove to be an obstacle to my progress unless I could find some sort of key. Unfortunately the room was dark, so it wasn't easy to find. I moved through the darkness to find a key, the key which would help me get through the locked door.

I stubbed my toe. The room was dark, so I didn't notice the chair that I stubbed my toe against. My toe hurt. I hopped up-and-down on one foot in order to make the pain subside. Unfortunately, in the darkened room, I stumbled into an open broom closet and fell ass-first into a dirty mop bucket.

I sat in the darkened room with my soaked ass, wondering when I would ever see my beloved wife again. I hope she doesn't notice the stain on my ass. It's dark.

Saw that posted on the GameFAQs forum for the game and thought it was amusing after what I'd heard about the main character's constant narration.
2010-06-09, 6:26 AM #18
There's been a few games recently where the game will get its console release and either the developers or the publishers will say "nope defintely not on pc ever" and then three or four months later there's a PC release announced.

Remedy makes PC games. Alan Wake was a PC game. Microsoft has been pushing Vista as a gaming platform. (Well, maybe not 'pushing'. Prodding, perhaps.) Alan Wake was a DX10 (ie, Vista) game. You don't just drop a platform from a tripple-A title because "it's much better on a couch."

Give it to around September and if there's no PC announcement then I'll be convinced it's a 360 exclusive.
2010-06-09, 6:31 AM #19
Everything starts with I in that game. Terrible writing for a game about a writer. "I thought I should get closer" instead of "The fog made things hard to see..." The explicitness is really hard to ignore, watching my friend play.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-06-09, 7:11 AM #20
Originally posted by Jin:
There's been a few games recently where the game will get its console release and either the developers or the publishers will say "nope defintely not on pc ever" and then three or four months later there's a PC release announced.

Remedy makes PC games. Alan Wake was a PC game. Microsoft has been pushing Vista as a gaming platform. (Well, maybe not 'pushing'. Prodding, perhaps.) Alan Wake was a DX10 (ie, Vista) game. You don't just drop a platform from a tripple-A title because "it's much better on a couch."

Give it to around September and if there's no PC announcement then I'll be convinced it's a 360 exclusive.

I still won't ****ing buy it because they obviously don't give a **** about what they say.
2010-06-09, 7:59 AM #21
I don't think the non-PC issue had anything to do with playing confortably...Duh.

It boils down to two major things. Console games are harder to pirate, and more people have standardized hardware via the X360, Vs the average PC that may not run the game. Boils down to that. They'll presumably sell more on just the Xbox 360 by forcing those who would steal it on Pc, to buy it/rent it instead.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-06-09, 8:09 AM #22
I still won't ****ing buy it because they obviously don't give a **** about what they say.

They do, though. Because what they're saying is "We're going to wait until we've sold enough units on the 360. Then we'll release the "port" because we <3 PC gamers."

(they don't really, though, they hate you all for being whiny snot-nosed bastards that say things like "I'M NOT GOING TO BUY IT BECAUSE THEY DELAYED THE PC RELEASE WAAAHH")
2010-06-09, 8:12 AM #23
With regard to the game itself, I have to say that it's excellently paced and the way it is set up, like a TV series divided into several episodes, makes it very satisfying to play even when only playing for a short while.

The characters are really good, wanting to find out about the mystery makes you want to continue playing.

But the best part is the sheer atmosphere and suspense of the game. It's a very haunting experience, especially on the higher difficulty settings.
2010-06-09, 8:14 AM #24
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I don't think the non-PC issue had anything to do with playing confortably...Duh.

It boils down to two major things. Console games are harder to pirate, and more people have standardized hardware via the X360, Vs the average PC that may not run the game. Boils down to that. They'll presumably sell more on just the Xbox 360 by forcing those who would steal it on Pc, to buy it/rent it instead.

And those of us who dont have a 360? **** like this makes me want one even less. makes me want to boycott the 360, not that it'll make a difference.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2010-06-09, 8:16 AM #25
I'm just going to steal an Xbox 360 and a copy of this game, then.
I'm just a little boy.
2010-06-09, 8:30 AM #26
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I had read there was a huge debate going on about how it's not even true HD (720p) format. Which in todays tech (outside of nintendo) is fail.

You would be surprised how many games are not actually 720p on the 360. Like Halo 3. And Call of Duty series.
2010-06-09, 8:31 AM #27
When I found out this game was focused around a flashlight.. I lost my hard on
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-06-09, 8:49 AM #28
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
You would be surprised how many games are not actually 720p on the 360. Like Halo 3. And Call of Duty series.

Yeah, Alan Wake is definitely not the first.
2010-06-09, 9:30 AM #29
I was really looking forward to Alan Wake. Unfortunately the reviews, which paint it as still a good game, don't suggest that it's anywhere near as good as I hoped it would be. I'll probably rent it for my recently acquired Xbox.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-06-09, 9:37 AM #30
Originally posted by Ford:
And those of us who dont have a 360? **** like this makes me want one even less. makes me want to boycott the 360, not that it'll make a difference.

Yeah, just don't buy the system that has the game you want to play... That will fix everything. You will surely have shown them where you stand at that point. They will have no choice but to go on making money from everyone else on the planet that already owns one.
>>untie shoes
2010-06-09, 9:37 AM #31
Originally posted by Emon:
I was really looking forward to Alan Wake. Unfortunately the reviews, which paint it as still a good game, don't suggest that it's anywhere near as good as I hoped it would be. I'll probably rent it for my recently acquired Xbox.

My only major gripe is that it's short. I made it a point to only play one episode at a time (they each seem to be about 1.5-2 hours a piece, 6 total, so 9-12 hours total) to try and draw it out longer. The narration can get kinda corny at times I guess, but I was able to ignore that fairly easy.
2010-06-09, 11:17 AM #32
Pfft, Finns thinking they can make video games. Bah, humbug!

Play TODOA. :tfti:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-06-09, 5:33 PM #33
Originally posted by zanardi:
When I found out this game was focused around a flashlight.. I lost my hard on

Dude! You have no idea. It's simply awesome.

You fight with flashlights (various kinds), flares, flare gun, flash bombs, revolver, hunting rifle, shot gun and pump action shotgun. You can also take out hostiles by collateral damage. (Make them stumble off cliffs, electrocute them, etc.) You can also run them over by car.

The game is not horror-show scary but it's really suspenseful and makes you dread hostile encounters, especially if you've just had a narrow escape.

I recommend playing it on at least hard setting, but for a real good experience on nightmare. For hardcore gamers like many of you, normal mode is probably too easy and may get repetitive. The harder difficulties really force you to be more tactical, resourceful (as you will be much lower on supplies / ammunition) and take enemies out in creative ways. There will also be many moments where you'll just have to dodge the attacks and run to the next safe haven (which involves some tactics too).
2012-02-16, 7:35 PM #34
Necromancing this old thread to let you all know that Alan Wake went live on Steam today. It's cheap!

http://bit.ly/yTCUml

It's said to be a great port. Remedy went to great lengths to get smooth gameplay with keyboard and mouse (but also supports 360 controller), upgraded the whole game with hi-res textures and included lots of options for graphics optimization. It even supports stereo 3D and multiple monitor setup. You can also adjust the FOV. I've heard from people who played it and it's said to run as smooth as **** from a duck's ass.

Receive the Collector's Edition DLC Free until February 23rd 10AM PST!

In other words, the Collector's Edition is the same price as the regular edition until said time and date.

Collector's Edition includes a great soundtrack, developer commentary and more. I'm not sure if the 'Alan Wake Files' book is included in the digital version, but I think so.

Retail version will hit stores in March.
2012-02-16, 11:03 PM #35
Not 100% sure it's still working but Greenmangaming.com had a 33% off when you enter coupon code HALFT-ERMHO-RRORS at checkout. That makes the Collectors Edition $23.45 and the provided keycode activates on Steam.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-02-17, 6:23 AM #36
WILL GET. This, and also, The Darkness II.
幻術
2012-02-17, 8:12 AM #37
Whoa, it's the #1 selling game on Steam at the moment.
2012-02-17, 8:28 AM #38
I completely forgot this came out this week. Definitely going to rebuy it for the PC version.
2012-02-17, 11:44 PM #39
This thread is about Silent Hill 2 right?
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-02-18, 10:24 AM #40
Alan Wake PC

↑ Up to the top!