Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Youth jailed for not handing over encryption password"
"Youth jailed for not handing over encryption password"
2010-10-07, 3:29 PM #41
Isn't that why all the good encryption software nests encrypted volumes? So you can give them the password to the outer volume, and deny that any volumes inside it even exist.
2010-10-07, 4:34 PM #42
Yep, because there's no way to prove an inner volume exists. It would appear to be random data.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-10-07, 5:14 PM #43
So what you're saying is that this guy is stupid.
Warhead[97]
2010-10-07, 5:29 PM #44
Pretty much. If he was smart, he would have given them the password to the outer volume which contained data that was plausibly worthy of encrypting, but not illegal (Or would only make him guilty of some minor copyright offense), and would then claim that he fully complied and deny any and all knowledge of an inner volume.

Instead, he apparently bragged about the length of his password.
2010-10-07, 5:43 PM #45
yep, if only that pedophile were smarter he could have really showed 'em.
2010-10-07, 5:52 PM #46
*takes notes*
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-10-07, 9:12 PM #47
Nobody can decrypt my Massassi password.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2010-10-07, 9:42 PM #48
I could just change it.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2010-10-08, 12:01 AM #49
Originally posted by JLee:
Your way of pointing out why you don't agree with it is indirectly citing a US Supreme Court case?

You are an interesting person.

Not necessarily defending GHarris's take, but the legal issue is one that's far older than Miranda v. Arizona. It goes to the very nature of the privilege against self-incrimination, and that was part of English law, I believe, well before there even was any independent American law.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-10-08, 12:13 PM #50
Koobie wins the thread.

↑ Up to the top!