Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Netflix - PS3 Application
Netflix - PS3 Application
2010-10-19, 7:45 AM #1
Well, I was using it yesterday, and it seems to disable the disc originally used. Which for me, is a shame. This new app doesn't allow for upscale (or maybe it was just a stretch function) of standard definition content. I can't seem to find an option for this anywhere in the application. Anyone have a clue?
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-10-19, 7:47 AM #2
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Well, I was using it yesterday, and it seems to disable the disc originally used. Which for me, is a shame. This new app doesn't allow for upscale (or maybe it was just a stretch function) of standard definition content. I can't seem to find an option for this anywhere in the application. Anyone have a clue?

You're doing it wrong. Tried it out last night. Native app upscales everything, including SD content, to 1080p.
2010-10-19, 8:03 AM #3
Originally posted by Darth:
You're doing it wrong. Tried it out last night. Native app upscales everything, including SD content, to 1080p.

I'm going to assume that was sarcasm and thank you for nothing.
2010-10-19, 8:49 AM #4
Perhaps you should be more detailed. Did you mean upscale or did you mean stretch. Stretch means taking normally "square" (4:3) video and stretching it to 16:9 widescreen so it fills your whole widescreen TV.

Cause as far as stretching, none of the Netflix players did that on purpose. It was probably a bug :P
2010-10-19, 8:59 AM #5
I'm going to assume that was sarcasm and thank you for nothing.

Nope, not sarcasm. I installed the app, changed exactly zero settings (don't even think there are settings for it), fired up an episode of the X-Files, and bam, it was upscaled to 1080p.

And I really don't see why it disabling the disc is a shame. The disc didn't upscale. The new app does. The new app's also a lot faster and the interface is a ton better.
2010-10-19, 9:08 AM #6
no the app upscales SD content

i don't see where the sarcasm is... and yeah the following things i hate about new app vs disc

1. my TV is a Sony KV-40XBR800 which has a 40" 4:3 screen... all 4:3 SD content uses the full 40" and looks quite good for SD... all 16:9 SD content is upscaled to 1080i and displayed in a roughly 37" 16:9 space on the screen... same thing with HD content except without the upscaling the problem here is 4:3 SD content upscaled by the new netflix app is now pillarboxed into the 16:9 space... see attached image for a visual representation of what this looks like... because the PS3 does not upscale SD content on a bluray all 4:3 SD content is displayed correctly on my TV (this "windowboxing" effect i can tolerate when watching an older movie in 1.37:1 on bluray since it is actually in HD)

2. when browsing movies on the disc it would tell you if it was HD or not while skimming through the list... now you have to select a movie and press x to go to the screen with the option to play the movie to find out if it is in HD or not...

i haven't tested it yet to see if it indicated if the stream is actually in HD or not but with the disc because the PS3 does not upscale you could tell by bringing up the display that shows the bitrate and time bar and all that... since that display is slightly different with SD and HD

i also haven't checked to make sure the app doesn't behave the same way as watching videos from the HD/usb drive where the system still displays notifications while watching the video...
Attachment: 24428/4x3sdupscaledonmytv.jpg (31,945 bytes)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2010-10-19, 9:21 AM #7
Okay, then I'm talking about stretching the content. The disc software did stretch ALL of my old SD content. The new app does not.
2010-10-19, 9:36 AM #8
that would be your TV settings stretching the content since your TV was doing the upscaling

watch a 4:3 dvd with upscaling on the PS3 turned off and i'm betting it will do the same thing
2010-10-19, 9:39 AM #9
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
that would be your TV settings stretching the content since your TV was doing the upscaling

watch a 4:3 dvd with upscaling on the PS3 turned off and i'm betting it will do the same thing

Yup.

The Netflix app is behaving as it should. I don't want my Netflix content to look like TBS.
2010-10-19, 9:48 AM #10
Wait wait wait

People use the PS3 for Netflix?
2010-10-19, 9:52 AM #11
Originally posted by Steven:
Wait wait wait

People use the PS3 for Netflix?

I didn't before because the Xbox did a better job with it. I will now though, cause the PS3 version seems better now. Although the Xbox version is getting an update relatively soon too, so who knows.
2010-10-19, 9:54 AM #12
And the Xbox netflix app keeps looking better
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-10-19, 11:07 AM #13
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:

Why would my TV change on it's own? The PS3 is on the same input, I didn't touch any settings, it doesn't change anything else. Why would the disc version of netflix stretch and the app not? I don't understand how my TV would even determine a difference, especially if both forms of netflix is still outputting the same SD signal.
2010-10-19, 11:10 AM #14
Why would my TV change on it's own? The PS3 is on the same input, I didn't touch any settings, it doesn't change anything else. Why would the disc version of netflix stretch and the app not? I don't understand how my TV would even determine a difference, especially if both forms of netflix is still outputting the same SD signal.

They're not the same signal.

Netflix Disc was sending 4:3 480p output to your TV. Your TV was seeing that and stretching it to 16:9. That's a setting on your TV.

Netflix App is sending 16:9 1080i/p (or even 720p, depends whatever max res you have your PS3 outputting to the TV) output to the TV. TV's not going to stretch it cause it's already 16:9 when it gets it.
2010-10-19, 11:20 AM #15
Ohhhhh, I didn't realize the whole disc was in 480....

seems like I should have noticed that... :\

Oh well, thanks for clearing that up, as painfully obvious as it should have been.
2010-10-19, 11:21 AM #16
It changed its output mode depending on the content. For SD stuff it would output 480p to the TV. For HD stuff it would output 720p to the TV.
2010-10-19, 11:27 AM #17
Ohhhhh, I didn't realize the whole disc was in 480....

no... the "whole disc" is not 480p

the disc is a bluray streaming through a bdlive based application...

the PS3 has never upscaled any SD content from a bluray

upscaled 4:3 content is always either stretched, zoomed/cropped, or pillarboxed into a 16:9 frame either by the TV (like when you used the disc) or by the player (as it is now with the app)
2010-10-19, 11:59 AM #18
Okay. Let me see if I understand this.

You're telling me that the Netflix disc, which is a BRD, and is using BDLive, is then changing the consoles resolution to 480 for the SD content in which it is playing. To which my TV is responding and fitting it to the screen. Where the new application does not change the console resolution, it just puts the content on the screen in a 1080p window?

If I still don't understand... then I'll just accept it as devil's magic and consider myself senile.
2010-10-19, 3:31 PM #19
Grab your tv remote, go to settings, look around for the stretch feature. You can probably turn it on manually.

o.0

↑ Up to the top!