Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → C-130 en route, deploying tree bombs.
C-130 en route, deploying tree bombs.
2010-10-20, 10:24 AM #1
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/10/old-military-planes-drop-900000-tree-bombs-day.php

That's a lot of trees.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-10-20, 11:37 AM #2
What can bombs NOT do?!
2010-10-20, 12:44 PM #3
They can't fail trees. Not ever.
2010-10-20, 1:00 PM #4
apparently the origional guardian article this story came from was from 1999. it looks like nothing really happened with it. :( dang.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2010-10-21, 12:36 PM #5
it's only been 11 years! Give them some time!

Lets go tree-bombs!
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2010-10-21, 2:44 PM #6
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
apparently the origional guardian article this story came from was from 1999. it looks like nothing really happened with it. :( dang.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. You're carpet-bombing an entire area with pointy things. So I guess people never go into the country, right? :downs:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-10-21, 4:07 PM #7
Originally posted by Freelancer:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. You're carpet-bombing an entire area with pointy things. So I guess people never go into the country, right? :downs:

900000 new trees!

...and 2000 seedriddled badgers.
nope.
2010-10-21, 6:43 PM #8
As a forester (who has experience with reforestation), I would be concerned about a few things with this plan.

First off, tree saplings are incredibly vulnerable. I would be afraid that during transport, and especially while in free fall, the trees would lose way too much moisture and reach the permanent wilting point.

Additionally, I would be concerned about soil compaction due to the impact of the metal cones. It's possible that the soils could be compacted so much that the tree roots would be unable to spread beyond the original area of the cone itself.
2010-10-22, 8:30 AM #9
Originally posted by Baconfish:
900000 new trees!

...now if only they could get badger bombs....:awesomelon:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2010-10-22, 9:10 AM #10
Originally posted by Baconfish:
900000 new trees!

Wait...

Sapling... Plus Toad? =...

[http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/nessamoore/Pokemon/bulbasaur.png]
2010-10-22, 7:13 PM #11
Originally posted by DSettahr:
As a forester (who has experience with reforestation), I would be concerned about a few things with this plan.

First off, tree saplings are incredibly vulnerable. I would be afraid that during transport, and especially while in free fall, the trees would lose way too much moisture and reach the permanent wilting point.

Additionally, I would be concerned about soil compaction due to the impact of the metal cones. It's possible that the soils could be compacted so much that the tree roots would be unable to spread beyond the original area of the cone itself.

Last I heard, that was basically the problem. They tried it with mangroves and they simply wouldn't regrow.
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!