Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Wireless router needed: suggestions?
Wireless router needed: suggestions?
2010-10-22, 2:08 PM #1
Right now I'm using an old netgear wireless router that I got for free from a friend when he moved. It's a POS that just stops working from time to time. Download speed starts reducing until it feels like i'm on 56k again, then nothing but timeouts until i reset the router. I can't even access the router by it's ip when this happens. Some research shows that this particular router has overheating issues and (in some cases) needs to be reset multiple times in a day.

I'm looking for a new wireless router that has good quality and isn't gonna cost a lot of money. I was thinking of a linksys wrt54g because I've used it before with good results, so I look around in town first, and all I can find are the new Ex000 linksys models (no wrt54s), which are insanely expensive. Newegg has the wrt54gl model, which costs almost $20 more than the non open source counterpart, but $60 is still a lot cheaper than the $130 the the E2000 is priced at here.

I could really use some input from you guys. What are your experiences with routers and which would you suggest?
2010-10-22, 2:25 PM #2
My friend has the same issue you describe with his wrt54g, but it probably happens once a month or so. I've never had a router I liked or worked to my liking so I'm curious to hear what people suggest as well.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-10-22, 2:31 PM #3
I have the WRT54GL with Tomato firmware installed. It's the best router I've ever owned. It has tons of features, and more importantly, it WORKS.

The only downside is the lack of Wireless N support.
2010-10-22, 2:33 PM #4
Make sure it's one that you can put DD-WRT or Tomato on to. Every stock router software I've ever used has been completely worthless.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-10-22, 2:38 PM #5
I still use a WRT54G, albeit one of the early revisions that was much more dd-wrt friendly cause it didn't have gimped RAM. That's for my legacy SSID that I keep running for B/G crap though. All of my computers run off of my WRT610N's radios. WRT610Ns are nice, but they're not cheap.
2010-10-22, 2:48 PM #6
I've got a WNR3500 and it's worked pretty well for me.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2010-10-22, 4:38 PM #7
I bought a wireless n router from newegg for 25 bucks. First one "wired" didn't work but wireless did. Replacement has worked fine for a long time now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166044&cm_re=wirless_n_router-_-33-166-044-_-Product

The software on it doesn't have a lot of features but it works fine.

↑ Up to the top!