Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Building a Computer (take 2)
Building a Computer (take 2)
2010-10-26, 9:21 AM #1
Last time (thread here) I got good advice but didn't end up buying. I now have a commitment from my boss that I'll be allowed to regularly work from home at least 1 day per week and possibly 2 some weeks. So this time I am really going to order the pieces and put one together. The last thread was in January. It looks like the core i5-750 has gone down in price a whopping $5.00 since then.

Here's some of what I wrote last time:

I need:
Case (prefer quiet)
Power supply (if not included with the case, prefer quiet)
Motherboard (want: onboard ethernet, possibly onboard sound, have historically had really good luck with "real" Intel boards)
Processor (prefer Intel, need multiple cores, not sure how many)
Memory (is 4GB enough? prefer kits so multiple channels work)
Hard Drive
DVD/CD Drive/Burner
Graphics Card (want: nVidia, prefer quiet if fast enough)

Here is the catch: I use Linux as my main OS so components should be linux compatible. This typically doesn't matter for most components, but for the graphics card I really like nVidia because they have awesome linux drivers. This typically affects sound cards, wireless cards, etc., which I don't care about because the motherboard should have onboard ethernet, and if the onboard sound doesn't work I have a backup card.

I *will* be using this eventually for windows-based games, so I would want it to run new games fairly well. I don't need the newest/fastest, I'm more looking for a great price/performance ratio with some cushion for the future (if possible).

I prefer "retail" box processors/motherboards/case because they include everything I need (fans, mounting hardware, etc.), but I am okay with OEM memory, drives, graphics card, etc. I am open to be convinced otherwise if arguments have merit (better cooling, etc.).

I typically order from Newegg since I don't pay tax there, but I am open to other retailers that have good reputations and good prices. I *hate* mail-in rebates so I always consider the price BEFORE rebate if they're not "instant" rebates.

All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. (I'll thank you later, too.)
2010-10-26, 9:46 AM #2
You seem to be concerned with the quiet factor... I recently built a new system and was amazed at the fact that it makes virtually no noise at all.

I'm running an AMD Phenom X2 550 on a Gigabyte GA-770T motherboard. I am using the ATI Radeon 5670 1GB PCIe 2.1. I have 4gb of some cheap ram. Like I said it's quiet as hell, and I run most things at max settings and get a pretty good framerate.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-26, 9:48 AM #3
I recommend getting a cto from Lenovo instead, with the extended warranty although 3 years priority/replacement is standard with all ThinkStations.

You'll be able to get pretty much exactly what you want, it'll be cheaper (especially once you factor in your time,) the warranty will help protect against kid-related disasters and system integrators have great thermal engineering these days.
2010-10-26, 10:03 AM #4
When you say "cto" it looks like their "C" series are amd systems not intel ones.
2010-10-26, 10:47 AM #5
Most mobos have onboard Sound and Network so dont worry about that

Also 4 is plenty, what are you going to run? XP, Vista, 7?

I have 7 now with 2 gig and it runs great, I have 2 more gig I am going to add but it is not needed unless you have new games that require it

I dont really play any new games...

EDIT: Sorry I somehow missed that you said Linux.... 2 gig is PLENTY for Linux
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2010-10-26, 11:27 AM #6
Originally posted by Brian:
When you say "cto" it looks like their "C" series are amd systems not intel ones.

customize to order

cto/bto

they have both intel and amd.
2010-10-26, 12:28 PM #7
I can't find a place where they offer a core i5-750, do you have a link for lenovo somewhere where you are getting good specs/prices?
2010-10-26, 12:34 PM #8
Western Digital's Caviar Black drives are awesome (and they're constantly on sale at Newegg), but they are pretty freaking loud. Certainly the loudest component in my system. Other than that, I'm surprised how quiet computer parts have gotten in the past two years. I think you'll be surprised.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2010-10-26, 12:46 PM #9
If you do build your own:

SeaSonic makes a silent fanless 460W power supply, although maybe not enough wattage depending on which graphics card you end up choosing. I sure most of the PSU's with a 120mm fan are silent enough.

I dont think there are currently any passively cooled graphics cards good enough for intensive games. There are some passively cooled 9800gt or gt240's. You should probably get something like a GTX460 and be satisfied with the fact it will probably only make significant noise while actively gaming.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2010-10-26, 1:27 PM #10
I'm not as concerned about noise nowadays. Re: hard drives, I'm going to get a SSD, probably the corsair nova 128gb.

Regarding graphics cards, what's the best price/performance card out there right now?
2010-10-26, 2:31 PM #11
Ati 5770. Or possibly a 6850/70.
I'm pretty sure Ati linux drivers are pretty good, but i have no idea.
2010-10-26, 2:57 PM #12
Right now, I think Nvidia's GTX460/GTX470 or AMD's 6850/6870 provided your willing to spend ~$200. Prices are changing alot, all depends on when you are going to buy. AMD will be launching their new highend stuff in about a month the 6950/6970. Nvidia will probably be forced to drop prices on their flagship GTX480.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2010-10-26, 4:39 PM #13
I can't find a place where they offer a core i5-750, do you have a link for lenovo somewhere where you are getting good specs/prices?
No, sorry. Lenovo doesn't carry that specific model of processor that is one year and a die shrink old.
2010-10-26, 4:50 PM #14
I remember when it was the best when I bought it last year :saddowns:
2010-10-26, 7:18 PM #15
So, what's the "current" good price/performance chip that they sell?
2010-10-26, 7:34 PM #16
So, what's the "current" good price/performance chip that they sell?

I think most retailers replaced the i5-750 with the i5-760. It's stock speed is 133mhz faster, thats about it.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2010-10-26, 7:50 PM #17
I take it back: ThinkCentre M90 Tower has Core i5-750 as an option.
2010-10-27, 7:20 AM #18
That system with similar specs to what I'm building is about ~450 more expensive and I've got a 128gb ssd instead of their hd. Thanks anyway.
2010-10-29, 3:37 PM #19
I ordered the pieces today. I got everything except a graphics card. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good price/performance card, preferably with nvidia chips because I have had great luck with their linux drivers.
2010-10-29, 3:42 PM #20
Oops, didn't see EAH_Triscuit & Tibby's replies above, sorry. Will look into ati linux drivers, maybe they are good now.
2010-10-29, 4:02 PM #21
Don't take Tibby's reply seriously, he wouldn't know good Linux drivers if they slapped him in the face.

↑ Up to the top!