Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So apparently, The Force Unleashed 2 pretty much sucks
So apparently, The Force Unleashed 2 pretty much sucks
2010-10-26, 11:36 AM #1
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130400p1.html
http://kotaku.com/5672245/review-star-wars-the-force-unleashed-ii
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/26/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-2-review/

Most of the reviews I've been reading thus far have been on the negative side, and some even just tearing into the game. I usually don't put much faith into what reviewers claim, after all a game review is only an opinion. Except when a game is universally reviewed badly, then that's something to look into.

A recent example would be Fallout New Vegas... Which got mediocre reviews, but so far I've thoroughly enjoyed it. As much, if not more than Fallout 3.

The thing that grates me most are the complaints about the shortness of the game. I can totally deal with bland levels, and repetitive combat (Arkham Asylum had super repetitive combat and the most simplistic controls but it was a ****ing blast). But a 4 hour play time? Even on the hardest difficulty? I can't justify spending 65 bucks on a game that I can purchase at breakfast and have beaten by lunch, with absolutely no reason to replay or come back to the game. Even a rental here is 12 bucks. I'd rather buy my lunch.

WHY THE **** HAVENT THEY STARTED TO DO JEDI KNIGHT 67 OR BATTLEFRONT 3 YET.

Lucasarts, I am dissapoint.
2010-10-26, 12:05 PM #2
Seriously? 4 hours? I know the original was short but that's pretty much unbelievable.
2010-10-26, 12:25 PM #3
Originally posted by Temperamental:

A recent example would be Fallout New Vegas... Which got mediocre reviews, but so far I've thoroughly enjoyed it. As much, if not more than Fallout 3.

New Vegas has an average review score of 81%, the only reason it's that low is because of the bugs and crashes. New Vegas is almost universally being praised in terms of gameplay.

4 hours is f***ing unforgivable.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2010-10-26, 12:26 PM #4
NV reviews are stupid because everyone focused on "It's like Fallout 3, with more stuff, and that's a bad thing!" when that's exactly what the game was marketed as. And while it's far to complain about gamebryo, it's not fair to base your entire review on something that was out of the dev teams hands. Now that that little rant is iover, they have been working on Battlefront 3, but it's in dev hell since Free Radical closed.
2010-10-26, 12:28 PM #5
Did anyone expect this game to be good? Really? Since when did the force become a super power? It used to be a moderate tool for manipulation.

I miss you Kyle Katarn.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-10-26, 12:37 PM #6
Originally posted by Temperamental:
Even a rental here is 12 bucks

You pay WAY too much for rentals. I get new releases for $4. Except on Tuesdays and Thursdays, when it's $2

Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Did anyone expect this game to be good? Really? Since when did the force become a super power?

Since you could choke people to death over a conference call
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-10-26, 12:37 PM #7
woops
2010-10-26, 12:42 PM #8
I'm not really surprised.

When the main character comes back from the dead as a clone in the squeal it's an obvious money grab.
My blawgh.
2010-10-26, 12:46 PM #9
Originally posted by Deadman:
Since you could choke people to death over a conference call

Originally, only the most powerful Jedi/Sith in existence could pull off such feats. Hell, even Yoda teaching Luke, seemed to have to focus just to get the X-Wing out of the swamp. Granted, he was old, but does that even matter when dealing with the force?

Now we have every Jedi under the sun tossing ships around like paper airplanes...

I say again. I miss you Kyle Katarn.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-10-26, 12:46 PM #10
Quote:
You pay WAY too much for rentals. I get new releases for $4. Except on Tuesdays and Thursdays, when it's $2

You're telling me. Blockbuster is the closest place to rent a game for me. And Rogers video is around 8-10. It's ridiculous.
2010-10-26, 12:46 PM #11
I thought the force unleashed 1 sucked
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-10-26, 2:03 PM #12
I thought it was fun (FO1), but definitely purchase-worthy. Just some light arcadey action you play a couple of times.
2010-10-26, 3:19 PM #13
Did anyone expect this game to be good? Really? Since when did the force become a super power? It used to be a moderate tool for manipulation.

I was hoping for a better product.

From the previews, it looked like they fixed the targeting system. And the graphics were improved. They also hinted the clones-going-mad idea of the plot, which I thought would be cool.

But how in the hell did they make the game SHORTER than the original? The original was 6-7 hours, I remember. 4 hours? You are reusing content from the first game, so why so short?

Also, what's with Quick Time Events? Did anyone enjoy QTEs in the first game? Why put MORE in the second game? Why only 4 locations in the game when the original had many? Why is that the variety of enemies are lessened to the point you are fighting the same guys over and over? Why this? Why that?

I heard alot of TFUII got laid off few months ago. Apparently they were working on a TFUIII. If they were planning to charge these 4 hour games at full price, I don't know a better statement than "cash cow."
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2010-10-26, 3:33 PM #14
I played the demo for the original TFU and hated it. If anything, four hours is too long.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-10-26, 3:33 PM #15
Okay, so this answers my primary question. Yes, there will be a Star Wars, The Force Unleashed II, Ultimate Sith Edition.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-10-26, 4:21 PM #16
Great, I already have the game in my hand from preordering from NewEgg. Oh well, at least it was at a discount.
2010-10-26, 5:14 PM #17
Well, this is all disappointing. I guess I might wait and pick this up in the future when it's come down (a lot) in price, or second hand. Means more money for the other games on my list.

Which I've just noticed has Fable 3 down as coming out three days after. Between that, Fallout: NV, and Black Ops I should be alright for a few months.
2010-10-26, 5:51 PM #18
Where does it say 4 hours?

IGN says 'under six'
Kotaku says 'single day experience'
Joystiq says 'under eight hours'

I mean it's still incredibly short, but I don't see where it says 4.

My biggest issue with the first one was that it was way too short, and had way too few locations. This is even worse! Only three actually playable locations and my guess is you'll visit them all twice and one maybe three times. I mean seeing that they already had the engine and the resources, I really thought they'd be able to build more content.

It's a damn shame really. I thought this time they'd really fix a lot of issues from the original, but they didn't, except for the combat system. That's really disappointing.

I had also hoped the level design would be better than in the original, but they say it's just bland and generic, and less interesting than in the first one.

Bleh.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2010-10-26, 5:53 PM #19
Quote:
Over the course of several levels you'll cut enemies to pieces (yes, there's dismemberment this time around)

Good enough for me.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-26, 6:26 PM #20
Originally posted by Antony:
Good enough for me.

Not paying that kind of price for something that's apparentlys hort enough to note. :colbert:
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2010-10-26, 6:39 PM #21
Who said anything about paying for it?
>>untie shoes
2010-10-26, 6:48 PM #22
Hell, even Yoda teaching Luke, seemed to have to focus just to get the X-Wing out of the swamp. Granted, he was old, but does that even matter when dealing with the force?

Isnt that how George Lucas expects us to rationalize the force use and lightsaber fights in the original trilogy? Palpatine, Yoda, Anakin, and Obiwan are old. And Luke is a padawan who learned far too late in life to develop any real skill.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2010-10-26, 6:51 PM #23
Yeah there was a lot of talk of the star warsians being much more powerful 'back in the day'
2010-10-26, 6:53 PM #24
In my day we could annihilate franchises with a mere thought!
2010-10-26, 7:22 PM #25
Quote:
I mean it's still incredibly short, but I don't see where it says 4.

Friends who own the game that have beaten it in that time, also, check the gamespot and ign forums on topics related to the game. A lot of people are saying 4-5 hours tops. Some are even claiming this is even on the highest difficulty while searching for every hidden item and unlock in the game.
2010-10-26, 7:29 PM #26
I refuse to acknowledge that any message board connected to a site like gamespot or ign holds anything of value.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-26, 8:27 PM #27
That's funny. I have a tenancy to refuse to acknowledge that any message board connected to you holds anything of value. badadum
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-10-26, 9:00 PM #28
And yet here you are =p
2010-10-26, 9:17 PM #29
SWFU force powers = utter sh*te.

Overpowered Overpowered Overpowered
:carl:

I'd like to meet the developers of this game so I may personally kick them in the nuts, and make sure they don't procreate additional crap games-designing children.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2010-10-26, 9:25 PM #30
I think you guys are taking it all too seriously.
Yes, the powers are crazy, that's the FUN of the game. Pretend it's not star wars if it's 'unrealsiticness' bothers you so much.
2010-10-26, 9:36 PM #31
But it's still not fun. Even if it was in it's own universe it still wouldn't be fun. That's not the issue here, it's a sidepoint.
2010-10-26, 10:05 PM #32
My only beef with TFU.. it's not Jedi Knight
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-10-26, 10:31 PM #33
Have to agree with Tibby here. The gameplay in the original was just ****ing godawful. It would be godawful, tedious, and immersion-breakingly awkward even in a universe that plausibly contained an order of warriors so powerful that they could create invisible explosions by snapping their fingers.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!