Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I am thinking about getting a PS3
I am thinking about getting a PS3
2010-10-29, 9:17 AM #1
Sony has their open-our-credit-card-and-get-a-$200-gift-card deal going again....would be $100 for a 160Gb, $150 for a $320gb, or $200 for a 320Gb with Move.

Who has a PS3 and how is it? I use my 360 mostly for Netflix, and the occasional gaming..would be nice to have a standalone blu-ray player, but the only game that really interests me is GT5 (and only if it's better than Forza).
woot!
2010-10-29, 9:22 AM #2
GT5 is pretty much guaranteed to not be better than Forza. Of course, that's assuming if they ever release it, as it's been delayed yet again till next year IIRC.

If you have a 360 already, I don't see much point in it. It's not even that great of a bluray player, it's rather slow.
2010-10-29, 9:27 AM #3
I have both. I play both pretty regularly. PS3 exclusive library has gotten a lot better over the past couple years than it was to start. And it works fine as a blu-ray player.

Console-fanboyism is silly. If you've got the money for both, get both, and you'll enjoy being able to play basically any game that comes out that you may want for either system.
2010-10-29, 9:29 AM #4
We have xbox 360, ps3, and wii. Wii collects dust, hasn't been powered on in 6 months or more. We have historically only used the ps3 for bluray (works fine, the only problem I have is that it's impossible to tell it to permanently stop letting blurays access the internet which is really what makes everything slow -- we have to presS "DENY" EVERY ****ING TIME WE PLAY A BLURAY). We used to use the xbox 360 for streaming netflix. Since the PS3 now has a native app we use that so I don't have to renew my xbox live subscription. The experience on the ps3 (netflix-wise) is better, movies load and start playing much faster, the picture quality is great (I think they upscale standard def stuff better than the xbox one). We don't use it for games, all the ones we've purchased have been blah.
2010-10-29, 10:55 AM #5
Pre-jailbreak: Hardly used PS3 save for a constant rotation of 4/5 games and for media playing at home

Post-jailbreak: use it for games e'rry day :)
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2010-10-29, 12:01 PM #6
i'd say get an xbox, unless you really really want the blu-ray capability. the controller is better, the games that come out for it are the same, and it looks like it's a better media center. also, my ps3 was a ******* to get to play nice with both my router (linksys wrt54g series) and my computer (win7). it still isn't 100%... for example, patch downloads will stop before completing and freeze up the router (unless i disable media server discovery), which requires me to power cycle the router if i want internet on my computer again.
2010-10-29, 12:29 PM #7
ragna: as much as I hate to defend the PS3, I think that's your router sucking. Put some custom firmware on there if you can, preferably Tomato. My brother had his PS3 over at our house for a whole summer and never had such issues, and I run a WRT-54GL.
2010-10-29, 12:51 PM #8
I've actually started to phase out my 360. I use the PS3 a lot for BRD and Netflix. I'm not sure why people say the PS3 is slow with bluray, mine is faster than my dads standalone player. Oh well.

To each his own.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-10-29, 1:04 PM #9
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Post-jailbreak: use it for games e'rry day :)

I thought I heard somewhere that some newer games coming out require the latest firmware breaking the jailbreak.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-10-29, 1:53 PM #10
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I've actually started to phase out my 360. I use the PS3 a lot for BRD and Netflix. I'm not sure why people say the PS3 is slow with bluray, mine is faster than my dads standalone player. Oh well.

To each his own.

Probably because they constantly access the internet. Mine was so painfully slow until I set it to "confirm" -- I wish I could set it to "disable" and never have to worry about it again.
2010-10-29, 2:03 PM #11
Originally posted by ragna:
i'd say get an xbox, unless you really really want the blu-ray capability. the controller is better, the games that come out for it are the same, and it looks like it's a better media center. also, my ps3 was a ******* to get to play nice with both my router (linksys wrt54g series) and my computer (win7). it still isn't 100%... for example, patch downloads will stop before completing and freeze up the router (unless i disable media server discovery), which requires me to power cycle the router if i want internet on my computer again.

3 solutions to your problem

1. just leave the media server crap disabled
2. fiddle with router settings for a while... you'll eventually land on the right settings that clear up this problem
3. CM's suggestion

i personally don't use it that much so i went with option 1 and use a flash drive if i want to watch a video file from my computer on my PS3
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2010-10-29, 3:45 PM #12
Can't say that I've used my PS3 as a bluray player yet, but it certainly gets more use than my 360 ever did.
nope.
2010-10-29, 6:13 PM #13
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
ragna: as much as I hate to defend the PS3, I think that's your router sucking. Put some custom firmware on there if you can, preferably Tomato. My brother had his PS3 over at our house for a whole summer and never had such issues, and I run a WRT-54GL.

Hmmm good recommendation. Tomato looked nice and simple but unfortunately my router's incompatible. Micro DD-WRT it is...

Also, just want to add that, in my experience, the PS3 rocks as a blu-ray player. Flipping through chapters, fast-forwarding/reversing, etc are all really fast. About 10 times faster with basic actions than using PowerDVD to play blu-rays on my computer.
2010-10-29, 8:35 PM #14
I got a ps3 cuz I kinda wanted a bluray player, and I wanted a game machine I'd actually play.
360 has a much better controller, but I didn't take much interest in a lot of the games on it. Especially since the best ones (imo of course) were also available on pc.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-10-29, 8:48 PM #15
The PS3 downloadable games are abysmal.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2010-10-29, 10:40 PM #16
PS3. Gran Turismo 5. :neckbeard:
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2010-10-30, 7:52 AM #17
Originally posted by dalf:
The PS3 downloadable games are abysmal.

Yeah, I typically play XBLA games on my 360 the most out of anything.
2010-10-31, 5:03 PM #18
I must be doing something wrong, because I tried to watch "Batman: Under the Red Hood" on PS3's native Netflix app (which, admittedly, is a better interface than the 360's) and it didn't upscale it at all for my TV. I've yet to have a good experience with it.

That said, the PS3 is fun for things like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Little Big Planet.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-10-31, 6:14 PM #19
Originally posted by lightside:
PS3. Gran Turismo 5. :neckbeard:

If it ever comes out and even then will have terrible terrible terrible terrible damage modeling.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2010-10-31, 7:08 PM #20
Forza has finally done what I said it would do years ago when the first one came out: usurped GT as the king of racing games.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-31, 7:28 PM #21
GT hasn't been the king of racing games in a very long time (some would say ever)...
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2010-10-31, 8:32 PM #22
I would say ever
2010-10-31, 9:21 PM #23
Originally posted by Wolfy:
I must be doing something wrong, because I tried to watch "Batman: Under the Red Hood" on PS3's native Netflix app (which, admittedly, is a better interface than the 360's) and it didn't upscale it at all for my TV. I've yet to have a good experience with it.
So that movie is in HD so for me it didn't need to upscale (or at least not much). It could be that your connection is just really bad and there's only so much upscaling can do. You can tell it upscales because the tv doesn't mode switch like it used to (at least mine doesn't). The other thing is that the new ps3 app seems to load a movie instantly on horrible quality and then within 30 seconds or so it gets much better. Also apparently if you hit select on the controller during the vid it will tell you the quality.
2010-11-01, 9:35 AM #24
Why is upscaling so difficult? Every media player I've ever used on my PC has been able to play videos at arbitrary resolutions since I had a Pentium 100. What's the big deal?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-01, 9:47 AM #25
Originally posted by Emon:
Why is upscaling so difficult? Every media player I've ever used on my PC has been able to play videos at arbitrary resolutions since I had a Pentium 100. What's the big deal?

I think it has to do with the way the PS3 works regarding resolutions. Oftentimes it will jump up and down in resolutions that your TV supports, instead of just sticking to the highest available resolution and using scaling. Thus, sometimes you're relying on the TV to scale it properly, etc etc.
2010-11-01, 10:24 AM #26
For multiplayer games Xbox 360 is the way to go. For single player games, PS3. I guess it comes down to which console specific games you care about; Fable and Halo are only XBox. Uncharted and Metal Gear are only PlayStation. I use the Xbox for games and the PS3 mostly for movies these days, but it depends on what games are coming out. When Assassin's Creed comes out I'll be on the PS3 all day; today I'm hooked on Fable and Halo.
2010-11-01, 11:33 AM #27
Metal Gear Rising is 360! :D

Also, I wonder how long it'll take for Fable 3 to be released on digital download. I am moving to buy all my games on digital only now, everywhere.
2010-11-01, 11:38 AM #28
I don't like download games or books. I like being able to loan or trade with friends, and get deals on used items. Digital movies are OK because they're inexpensive, and usually spur-of-the-moment ideas, so it's convenient. Plus, they only last two hours, while games or books last much longer.
2010-11-01, 11:46 AM #29
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Also, I wonder how long it'll take for Fable 3 to be released on digital download. I am moving to buy all my games on digital only now, everywhere.

This would be ideal if it were possible to get a reasonably sized hard drive for the 360 at a reasonable price without having to mod it.

As it is currently, no thanks.
2010-11-01, 11:57 AM #30
Originally posted by Darth:
This would be ideal if it were possible to get a reasonably sized hard drive for the 360 at a reasonable price without having to mod it.

They released a 250gb HDD a few months ago for reasonable money. Not super-cheap by hard drive standards, but not a total rip off.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2010-11-01, 12:25 PM #31
They're getting better, but when I can put a 7200 RPM 640 GB drive in the competing platform for $90, $130 for 250 GB is still pretty damn bad.
2010-11-01, 12:40 PM #32
Originally posted by Darth:

Understandable, but I just got the new 360 with 250GB anyway, so that's more than enough to do what I want.
2010-11-01, 7:19 PM #33
I use my PS3 for Netflix, Blu-ray and games. My brother has a 360. I don't play online that often, so the PS3 works for me. And if I get an itch to play something else, I swap with my brother for a while.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2010-11-04, 2:46 PM #34
PS3 is worth it for MS4 alone, not to mention god of war, little big planet, Killzone and resistance...

(demon's souls is awesome too!)
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2010-11-04, 6:17 PM #35
Originally posted by Brian:
The other thing is that the new ps3 app seems to load a movie instantly on horrible quality and then within 30 seconds or so it gets much better.

So it would seem. The 360 spends time getting the picture "perfect" before playing the movie, but the PS3 seems to go straight to the action, if momentarily-crappy-looking action. I like the PS3's behavior now that I understand it, and it means an end to my X-Box Live Gold account.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-11-04, 6:20 PM #36
Same here, the only reason I had "GOLD" was to watch netflix. Don't need it anymore.
2010-11-04, 6:32 PM #37
I sold my Xbox 360 because I hated playing first-person shooters (the only games that I really play often) w/ a ****ing controller. Even once I got pretty used to it I still ****ing hated it. I pretty much just used it for streaming Netflix & it sucked worse at that than my BluRay player. I don't know anything about Wii-wii's, PS3's or whatever else there is out there, but if it doesn't have a keyboard & mouse, it can burn in hell for eternity. That is all.
? :)
2010-11-05, 4:30 AM #38
Yeah, if you're only interested in fps' you should definitely take a computer over a console.

↑ Up to the top!