Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Academy owns
Jedi Academy owns
2010-10-30, 10:11 AM #1
The proof is in the pudding.

2010-10-30, 10:32 AM #2
I think something similar happened to me once. Maybe.

But hey what's up with these Star Trekking videos huh
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-10-30, 11:05 AM #3
brings back memories

remember when you preordered the game you got that license plate frame? well mine is on my car, i am probably the only person in the world that kept it for the day they started driving
2010-10-30, 11:10 AM #4
That licence plate will keep you single too!
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2010-10-30, 11:20 AM #5
I have that frame in a box somewhere.

Lucasarts needs to stop failing and make cool games again. TFU games blow.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2010-10-30, 11:57 AM #6
To be honest, JA felt half-assed in many ways. But I guess it belonged in the era when decent Star Wars games came out (2000-2004?) like KotOR and that Republic Commando game. Now LucasArs went back in the slump again.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2010-10-30, 12:02 PM #7
Originally posted by Sol:
That licence plate will keep you single too!

nah lol, even though the women ive been with have poked fun at it, it acutally helps people identify my car, you know, i think you have a case of the JEALOUS

Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
I have that frame in a box somewhere.

Lucasarts needs to stop failing and make cool games again. TFU games blow.

bust it out, pick up chicks, get laid
2010-10-30, 2:08 PM #8
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
To be honest, JA felt half-assed in many ways. But I guess it belonged in the era when decent Star Wars games came out (2000-2004?) like KotOR and that Republic Commando game. Now LucasArs went back in the slump again.

JA is pretty horrible. The voice acting is Dragonball Z-caliber (and the writing is worse), the levels are largely uninspired, the few setpieces they have are incredibly contrived and poorly-executed, storyline is full of gaping holes (unexplained appearance of Noghri for one level only which is never followed up on, Jaden suddenly has a Star Destroyer if he turns to the Dark Side, etc).
2010-10-30, 2:15 PM #9
I thought Republic Commando was terrible
2010-10-30, 2:16 PM #10
that probably means you are terrible. because republic commando is awesome. FACT.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2010-10-30, 2:22 PM #11
Can't dispute fact.
nope.
2010-10-30, 3:15 PM #12
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1108303']Jaden suddenly has a Star Destroyer if he turns to the Dark Side...

Isn't that part of the 'Join the Dark Side' contract sign-on bonus?
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2010-10-30, 3:21 PM #13
Did you know that Jerec's super star destroyer he was toolin' around in in Jedi Knight actually had Grand Admiral Thrawn on board, with the mission from the emperor to keep an eye on Jerec?
2010-10-30, 3:25 PM #14
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1108303']JA is pretty horrible. The voice acting is Dragonball Z-caliber (and the writing is worse), the levels are largely uninspired, the few setpieces they have are incredibly contrived and poorly-executed, storyline is full of gaping holes (unexplained appearance of Noghri for one level only which is never followed up on, Jaden suddenly has a Star Destroyer if he turns to the Dark Side, etc).

I liked Jedi Academy. I agree the story was retarded and some of the levels were lame (Coruscant, Taspir, Vjun, Dreadnought, etc.), but I thought there were a lot of really good, inventive levels that were fun to play (sand monster, swoop race, jedi tomb, Corellia, Hoth, Noghri planet, more I'm forgetting).
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-10-30, 5:34 PM #15
JA was pretty bad compared to the JO. However, even JO was pretty lame compared to the two original DF titles. It looked great, but the level design was bad.

DF & JK, sadly still two of the best Lucasarts titles. Their games have gone from awesome to mediocre to bad.

Republic Commando was a good idea, but badly executed. The fact that you practically can't die combined with the bacta stations everywhere made the game way too easy.

I also didn't like all the generic hallways, it all looked the same. The game just lacked the epic scope of levels in older Star Wars games.

Another thing I didn't like is that the game basically tells you what to do by putting all those icons in places where you're supposed to assign your commandos to a task.

It would have been a lot cooler if there was limited bacta, and if there was a system similar to Mass Effect and other tactical shooters to command the squad.

The voice acting and humour between the commandos was brilliant though.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2010-10-30, 5:41 PM #16
Bad LP, Voices too low.
Good video though.
2010-10-30, 6:00 PM #17
I had a completely different experience in Republic Commando. I spent most of the game pouring billions of clips into the same damn enemies while they refused to die.
2010-10-30, 6:06 PM #18
Oh that. I actually liked the fact that the Battle Droids were so tough.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2010-10-30, 7:23 PM #19
Want some more Tie Fighter...
2010-10-30, 7:28 PM #20
Hey, I forgot how funny Jaden's evil voice is.

"RAR ARGH! I AM ANGRY! ARRR!"
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-10-30, 7:46 PM #21
Originally posted by JM:
I had a completely different experience in Republic Commando. I spent most of the game pouring billions of clips into the same damn enemies while they refused to die.

This is what I remember, it was boring and frustrating to hold down fire on something and watch it have little effect.
2010-10-30, 8:09 PM #22
Even worse when those special grenades were so effective on them, and the game hardly ever gave me any.
2010-10-30, 11:55 PM #23
My experience with Republic Commando involved knifing things to death. You can knife the SBDs by circlestrafing.

I remember I never finished the game. I got to the Wookie camps, and I was tired of reviving my damn squad every 2 feet.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2010-10-30, 11:58 PM #24
Quote:
bust it out, pick up chicks, get laid

My wife objects to the content of this suggestion..
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2010-10-31, 1:01 AM #25
If its thats easy why the hell not? ;)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2010-10-31, 1:12 AM #26
I thought JA was nice, nothing spectacular plot-wise (yet it's still set in the era that has somewhat good stuff and no Vong crap) and the voice acting does remind me of DBZ now that someone noticed it.

JA does have a bunch of great SP levels, though. Dark Forces Mod for JA (6-level demo), the Nina series (by Larry McBruce), Eike Legien's Imperial Outpost series, Dash Rendar: Resurgence and Eve of Redemption (released last year). And probably some levels I haven't played.

And I think it's worth checking out the unfinished beta release of AKPiggott's Enter the Dark Lord.

JO also has a couple of great ones like Party Crasher, ImpHothV3 (>_>) and Nemesis of Katarn. Maybe more.

I still think Republic Commando is one of the best LEC games even though the guns are really pisspoor, scarce and knifing indeed is the best way to take care of SBDs (not that effective against Spider Droids).
2010-10-31, 7:39 AM #27
I remember a lot of criticism about the first two levels of JO which had no lightsaber or force powers and just a lot of blasting and puzzle solving.

To be honest those were some of the best levels for me, and in DF2 some of the most memorable levels were the first three with no lightsaber. Nar Shadda is legendary.
2010-10-31, 9:19 AM #28
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Did you know that Jerec's super star destroyer he was toolin' around in in Jedi Knight actually had Grand Admiral Thrawn on board, with the mission from the emperor to keep an eye on Jerec?

where is the Vengeance now? just floating around the valley of the jedi where they left it???
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2010-10-31, 11:11 AM #29
Presumably Thrawn would have flown off with it. I mean, when is DF2 even set? DF is before A New Hope, but MotS is presumably before RotJ - remember, it starts in a rebel base. No, wait, Mara Jade is there, and she doesn't turn 'good' until after RotJ... and the empire didn't have but the executor class SSD at the time of the movies. The other designs come later, in the EU, where to be taken seriously by anyone you need a ridiculously huge ship. But, if DF2 is set AFTER RotJ, and Jerec is just in command of the Vengeance and a small bit of imperial remnant, why would Thrawn be there to watch him, and who was the Emperor who gave him the orders? And then what the **** do we do with MotS?
2010-10-31, 11:13 AM #30
I think I would have enjoyed the first couple JO levels if the aiming wasn't all screwy. I found it really difficult to lead targets and actually hit anything.

I think my favourite level in JO was Yavin. :/
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-10-31, 11:17 AM #31
Also Zell way to finish Nar :argh:
2010-10-31, 12:00 PM #32
Originally posted by JM:
Presumably Thrawn would have flown off with it. I mean, when is DF2 even set? DF is before A New Hope, but MotS is presumably before RotJ - remember, it starts in a rebel base. No, wait, Mara Jade is there, and she doesn't turn 'good' until after RotJ... and the empire didn't have but the executor class SSD at the time of the movies. The other designs come later, in the EU, where to be taken seriously by anyone you need a ridiculously huge ship. But, if DF2 is set AFTER RotJ, and Jerec is just in command of the Vengeance and a small bit of imperial remnant, why would Thrawn be there to watch him, and who was the Emperor who gave him the orders? And then what the **** do we do with MotS?

no JK takes place 1 year after RotJ, then MotS is 5 years after

Thrawn was watching Jerec during the RotJ timeline, then the emporer died and Jerec rose to power... what I wanna know is WTF was Luke doing when Jerec rose to power... oh Kyle's got this one ill sit it out...
2010-10-31, 7:31 PM #33
Originally posted by Tracer:
I think I would have enjoyed the first couple JO levels if the aiming wasn't all screwy. I found it really difficult to lead targets and actually hit anything.

It's only screwy if you have dynamic crosshair on.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2010-10-31, 7:47 PM #34
Originally posted by Andrew L:
no JK takes place 1 year after RotJ, then MotS is 5 years after

Thrawn was watching Jerec during the RotJ timeline, then the emporer died and Jerec rose to power... what I wanna know is WTF was Luke doing when Jerec rose to power... oh Kyle's got this one ill sit it out...

In the novelization of Jedi Knight Luke teams up with Kyle, and while Kyle goes after Jerec in the valley Luke leads Rogue squadron in a space battle against the Vengeance.
Though I haven't read that book in over 8 years.
My blawgh.
2010-11-01, 1:31 AM #35
I thing the simplest way to describe what I didn't like about JO (and this will probably draw flames) was because it was more JO1 than it was DF3. JA wasn't bad, but only in the light of considering it a JO2.

I started Quake 1 up the other day, it was like running in a sea of christmas pudding. Lots of brown with little bits of black. Compare that to DF with snow levels, sewer levels, space levels. I have Kotor around somewhere, still really need to finish that.
2010-11-01, 2:37 AM #36
when I played KOTOR, I played to the end then gave up, the end boss battle was terribad, and left with more of a "Well, that chore is done" feeling instead of a "**** yes!" feeling.
2010-11-01, 7:34 AM #37
why are your opinions always so annoying?
DO NOT WANT.
2010-11-01, 10:45 AM #38
Originally posted by Tibby:
when I played KOTOR, I played to the end then gave up, the end boss battle was terribad, and left with more of a "Well, that chore is done" feeling instead of a "**** yes!" feeling.

depends on how well you build your guy, first time I played through my guy sucked and was killed almost instantly

2nd time through I made my guy a monster and he destroyed the final boss like nothing

I will say though it does feel more like a chore first few times but I keep coming back for some reason :hist101:

↑ Up to the top!