Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Think back, waaaaay back.
Think back, waaaaay back.
2010-11-06, 8:36 PM #1
Back even before that, even before that, to a time long ago when 56k was still in use.
Let's talk about Jedi Knight mods, and levels, and the best ones. I think it's safe to say that we are far past the golden years and on to the the deep dark heat death of the Jedi Knight universe. So looking back with hindsight, what was good, and what was bad?
I remember JHS, JHS was a very fun map for playing on THE ZONE, but it was also extremely basic. Textbook example of a ****ty map that is somehow played by everyone. I also remember the retarded DRALLOC maps made by some beefy guy, terrible terrible maps over hyped to an extreme because having blue tint makes you artsy I guess. On the other end of the spectrum for me are mostly SP maps, since THE ZONE lived on JHS and the default maps. I remember Siege on Derra IV, and never actually beating it because it was so gigantic. I remember IWP2 and how it was basically the Jedi Knight Enhanced of it's time.

What do you remember from the golden years of Jedi Knight? It's the entire reason for this sites existence, and many of you have modded it, so I'm sure you have something to share.
2010-11-06, 9:55 PM #2
Siege at Vol Kanst was the best siege.
2010-11-06, 10:08 PM #3
The formatting of this post makes me think this is the first time Tibby has gotten drunk.
>>untie shoes
2010-11-06, 10:19 PM #4
If it weren't for Empire Nightclub my life may have turned out very differently.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2010-11-06, 10:30 PM #5
Originally posted by Antony:
The formatting of this post makes me think this is the first time Tibby has gotten drunk.

That already happened, Guess which post it was and win a prize.
2010-11-06, 10:31 PM #6
The OP? Where's my prize?
>>untie shoes
2010-11-06, 10:37 PM #7
I tried to get into modding other games after JK, but I never had as much fun elsewhere, and my projects didn't materialize. I guess it's a testament to JK's legacy that I still visit the forums seven years after my last level was released. I even whip out ye olde level editor once in a blue moon, and I'm always surprised how much fun I have.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2010-11-06, 11:40 PM #8
ToaM?

or BoaM

(also I'md runk now.. Do I get a prize?)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2010-11-06, 11:52 PM #9
holy **** KWP = life
DO NOT WANT.
2010-11-07, 12:34 AM #10
It's funny how for most people "JK's golden years" are related to MP only. For me it was all about the SP. Even though I have one piece of "photographic evidence" from an instance when I've played JK MP in 1998. What a hoot!

So yeah, my answer for "what do you remember from the golden years of JK" is the same as "what are your favorite JK & MotS SP levels". Meaning this post still applies.

Yet I forgot A Pirate's Tale, Yug'rin and Zak and probably a whole lot more.

And as with the "fav SP lvl yo" question, I can still give only one reply. Which would be: BIRTH OF A MERCENARY: SPECIAL EDITION. It's the sole reason why I started playing and editing JK again in 2001 (I frequented JKOutpost in 1998 and almost released a crappy level with the name 'FastGamer'... I waited until 2010 instead) and came here. So you can blame AKPiggott for my existence! Ha!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-11-07, 1:08 AM #11
Empire Night Club + some mod that gave you a grappling hook FTW. Those were fun times. Also, Siege on Vol Kanst narrowly beats Derra IV, as JM already pointed out.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-11-07, 2:06 AM #12
Call me old fashioned but I really enjoyed the Hoth conversion of Canyon Oasis.
2010-11-07, 2:44 AM #13
Ooh, that reminded me of c@rni's One Rebel's Sacrifice which I already played in 1999 and thought was pretty great. Even though the Tantive 4, Tatooine and Hoth levels were the only remotely good ones and the rest were just odd... especially the final level where you find out that the "one rebel's sacrifice" was just this rebel blowing up a ship. Oh well.

And C@rni was a racist freak from what I've heard. Oh well.
2010-11-07, 4:17 AM #14
Nikumubeki was a racist freak from what I've heard.
>>untie shoes
2010-11-07, 4:41 AM #15
I hate Ubuu.
2010-11-07, 5:18 AM #16
I was going to save this until a Black Ops thread came up, but I'm impatient and a Tibby thread is good enough.
Attachment: 24453/1288852087356.jpg (202,772 bytes)
:master::master::master:
2010-11-07, 8:01 AM #17
Quote:
Empire Night Club + some mod that gave you a grappling hook FTW. Those were fun times. Also, Siege on Vol Kanst narrowly beats Derra IV, as JM already pointed out.

It's possible that this lot just wasn't around for Vol Kanst. Part of it's :awesome: was that it was :awesome:, and also that it came out right after the game. The guy made it in Jed 0.1 or some nonsense. Or maybe he was Lec, and made it in Leigh. Either way, it was released in early 98, IIRC.
2010-11-07, 8:04 AM #18
I played that level in 1998 (or 1999, all I know the level is in my 1999 backup CD with all my JK stuff of the time), but I always got stuck at some part and the unskippable opening cutscene always drove me mad. Of course, I only learnt quicksaving 3 years later. Hrmph.

Good times.
2010-11-07, 9:21 AM #19
The Massassi Level Packs
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2010-11-07, 9:36 AM #20
Originally posted by JM:
It's possible that this lot just wasn't around for Vol Kanst. Part of it's :awesome: was that it was :awesome:, and also that it came out right after the game. The guy made it in Jed 0.1 or some nonsense. Or maybe he was Lec, and made it in Leigh. Either way, it was released in early 98, IIRC.

Not to mention in the readme it said he completed it in 28 days.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-11-07, 12:09 PM #21
Originally posted by Tibby:
That already happened, Guess which post it was and win a prize.

http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=57870
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-11-07, 12:14 PM #22
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
If it weren't for Empire Nightclub my life may have turned out very differently.

This.

I remember staying up trying to find the control room and freaking the **** out when I finally found it.
2010-11-07, 9:08 PM #23
I wasted so much time using the IWP2 mod on the MP Hoth map where you could spawn almost invincible probe droids. Or trying out weapon's mods on planet Sith. I heard there was a planet Sith 2, but I could never find it.

Good times though. This winter I think I'll waste more time playing with mods.
My blawgh.
2010-11-08, 11:42 AM #24
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
I heard there was a planet Sith 2, but I could never find it.

http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=253§ion=downloads

Can't remember what Planet Sith 2 was like any more to be honest. But Planet Sith 3 was... er...

http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=37925

Yes.

In contrast, Terror on Sigma 51-A deserves a mention.
2010-11-08, 12:40 PM #25
Empire NightClub was a personal fav.
Drazen Isle was an obvious favorite.
the guy who made ENC also made some space station one that I liked.

Single player: Mechanics of the Force. Too bad there was no follow up to it.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2010-11-08, 2:48 PM #26
Originally posted by JM:
Siege at Vol Kanst was the best siege.

I don't think I ever played this level... where can I download it? TACC? Can I download it now with the domain name down?
2010-11-08, 5:04 PM #27
Quote:
the guy who made ENC also made some space station one that I liked.

Possibly the KOP base level? It was made by FlyDuDe, who made like 3 levels that I can recall, ENC, the KOP base, and his first one that I cannot recall.

Also, I loved the King of the Tower level where you set off all the traps in the top of the tower.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2010-11-08, 5:04 PM #28
If I find it, I'll let you know. :|

Seriously, does anyone have it?
2010-11-08, 9:09 PM #29
I like Rolling Revolution, KWP, EWP and SBX as far as mods go.

My favorite levels are SMHQ, Caesars Palace, JHS, Phoenix Suburban City, Manticeville and Space Colony Inc.
2010-11-08, 9:31 PM #30
I always enjoyed Barons Hed RPG, if it could be made to work.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-11-08, 9:42 PM #31
Build @ Tower
666, The Number of the Beast.
664, The Bloke Next Door.
Matt Bonner, The Lebron Killer

↑ Up to the top!