Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Are any of the new Tomb Raider games any good?
Are any of the new Tomb Raider games any good?
2010-11-07, 3:02 PM #1
I'm playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and for some reason, probably the jumping puzzles, I thought of Tomb Raider. Then I remembered how awesome Tomb Raider II was. Are any of the newer games good like II was? I was always under the impression that the franchise went to crap.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-07, 3:04 PM #2
I hear the latest one is good.
>>untie shoes
2010-11-07, 3:07 PM #3
Yeah I think the last 2 were meant to be pretty good, though they changed Lara's personality somewhat or whatever.
nope.
2010-11-07, 3:12 PM #4
Do her boobs bounce yet?
>>untie shoes
2010-11-07, 3:15 PM #5
I liked the first 3 games. Ive played them all since and came to the conclusion that they sucked. The newest installment is naught more that a birds eye view on mindless combat with half-inspired puzzles. I found this one in particular to be one of the most godawful games yet. I say nay to that ****. Yet to each his own, I suggest you play them if you have a mind to do so, yet be weary of new-age-game-dumbing-down-ness...
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2010-11-07, 3:20 PM #6
If I recall the reviews, the last few Tomb Raider games (including the latest one that just came out) have all been pretty decent. I don't think I've played any Tomb Raider after trying out the first one on a friend's PSX in the 90s.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2010-11-07, 3:53 PM #7
Some of the puzzles in that one on the 360 were okay. If you want that kind of jumping and climbing puzzle action, try

Assassin Creed I/II
Prince of Persia (360 one)
Prince of Persia : Forgotten Sands
Mirror's Edge
2010-11-07, 5:08 PM #8
Mirrors Edge was ****in cool
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-11-07, 5:13 PM #9
Oh yeah I played the demo for that Lara Croft guardian of light on Xbox (exclusive?) it wasn't bad but more of an overhead view.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-11-07, 5:23 PM #10
Mirror's Edge was amazing, albeit short. Get it cheap, play it, enjoy.
2010-11-07, 5:43 PM #11
The 360 game titled only 'Prince of Persia' is perhaps the greatest platformer ever made.
2010-11-07, 6:26 PM #12
Mirror's Edge was cool, at first. It seemed to have so much wasted potential. They set up a cool story (the whole messenger thing) and wasted it by having the main character run around trying to find her sister or something. And I hated the forced action sequences and the fact that the ENTIRE CITY seems to know where you are at all times.
2010-11-07, 7:57 PM #13
Tomb Raider Legend is short, has small levels, few puzzles and lots of shooting. It's not really good.

Tomb Raider Anniversary is a remake of the original Tomb Raider, and I personally loved it.

Tomb Raider Underworld is the best one in my opinion. Big levels, cool puzzles and Lara can do all kinds of cool stuff. Less combat, but that's not really a bad thing IMO.

Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light is an awesome arcade co-op game.

I'm waiting for Tomb Raider 9... leaked information says it's going to be an open world adventure set on some deserted Japanese islands, starring a young Lara in her first ever adventure. It will have more of a survival feel to it. She'll probably fight with bow and arrow and such. Saw some great concept art of creepy enemies...

I hope it's true, the TR franchise could do with an overhaul.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2010-11-07, 8:11 PM #14
More like womb raider, amirite?
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2010-11-07, 11:51 PM #15
Originally posted by Emon:
Mirror's Edge was cool, at first. It seemed to have so much wasted potential. They set up a cool story (the whole messenger thing) and wasted it by having the main character run around trying to find her sister or something. And I hated the forced action sequences and the fact that the ENTIRE CITY seems to know where you are at all times.

My friends and I would compete against each other in the time trials mode. Where we would would try to slip, slide and jump our way through the small maps as fast as possible. Really fun, especially if you found a shortcut and bested your buddies time by like 2-5+ seconds. :awesomelon:
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2010-11-08, 1:23 AM #16
I wanted to like Mirror's Edge, but I was too crap at it. :(
2010-11-08, 1:26 AM #17
I found mirrors edge a lot easier with mouse and keyboard than the 360 controller.

o.0
2010-11-08, 5:27 AM #18
Originally posted by Emon:

Read the screens on the elevators, they give a lot of backstory and explain how they often track you down. (Also, some of them are funny)

Also, it doesn't help that you're often running toward the police instead of away from them for half the game.
2010-11-08, 6:35 AM #19
Even still, it's silly. The main mechanic was fun but it felt like such wasted potential.
2010-11-08, 9:35 AM #20
I'm quite a fan of the new Tomb Raider games, and I never really got into the old ones (the ones which had the rotate-and-run movement system). The new movement system is much more fluid and fun to use and the combat, while not exceptional, can be fairly entertaining. It's probably also worth bearing in mind that Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld are all fairly short, and the first two contain quicktime cutscenes (if that's a particular bugbear of yours). I've played the trial version of Guardian of Light and it was alright, I guess. Probably a lot more fun with a co-op partner but I doubt I'll pick it up.

Also, Keeley Hawes is the VA for Lara. Yum.
2010-11-08, 9:59 AM #21
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Mirror's Edge was amazing, albeit short. Get it cheap, play it, enjoy.

You know what isn't short?

Jumping on things in real life. >.>
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2010-11-08, 10:01 AM #22
Originally posted by happydud:
You know what isn't short?

Jumping on things in real life. >.>

How often do you get to do that from 30 story buildings while dodging gunfire and such? :P

↑ Up to the top!