Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Happy Black Ops day
Happy Black Ops day
2010-11-09, 4:40 PM #1
So who obtained their copy today? I got mine, but I'm not going to play it until I'm finished with the rest of the games in my backlog. No doubt it's going to sell more than Modern Warfare 2, the only question is how much more.
2010-11-09, 4:49 PM #2
There will probably be a Call of Duty 8 announcement by the end of the month slated for Q4 2011
2010-11-09, 4:50 PM #3
Was this developed by a team OTHER THAN the one that left the publisher in a max exodus? It seems really close behind the last cod4 modern warfare 2, but maybe I'm time shifted or something.
2010-11-09, 4:52 PM #4
To answer my own question, it was a year ago that the last one was released, and indeed, this one wasn't developed by the same team. It was done by the team that did World at War which I didn't like at all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_duty
2010-11-09, 5:04 PM #5
Eh, Waiting on reviews. Probably will never get it.
2010-11-09, 5:12 PM #6
I've never played CoD, but I'm kind of tempted by this one seeing how it has a genuinely interesting setting for a game rather than modern day or endless WW2. :P
nope.
2010-11-09, 5:43 PM #7
[http://i.imgur.com/FJLYw.jpg]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-09, 7:31 PM #8
I liked World at War. I'd like to see reviews first, but I'll probably end up getting this one.
2010-11-09, 7:44 PM #9
Emon you son of a *****.

I'll probably pick the game up, but I don't want it to distract me from studying. Plus I have a ton of other games I want to get through, but from what I've seen it looks really cool, if a bit stale.
Attachment: 24460/1288852087356.jpg (202,772 bytes)
:master::master::master:
2010-11-09, 8:07 PM #10
hey guys i'm confused is carl of duty for 360 or ps3?

also stat haven't you been going to school for like the past 35 years or what man
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-11-09, 8:11 PM #11
Shouldn't it be "Carl on duty"
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2010-11-09, 8:16 PM #12
Yeah, it's by the screwups at Activision, so based on trends it should be equally as bad (they haven't made a good one yet). Typically all Activision does is just rehash whatever Infinity Ward did last time, in a new setting. Hell, with World at War, it was more of a DLC than a full game.

Of course, that's on top of the fact that I've never enjoyed the Call of Duty series in the first place, so...
2010-11-09, 8:32 PM #13
Originally posted by Tracer:
also stat haven't you been going to school for like the past 35 years or what man

:smith: yes

i finished my undergrad december '08 and i'm just taking a few classes now. it feels like forever though. that's what i get for taking a worthless major
2010-11-09, 8:33 PM #14
Sorry, still busy with New Vegas.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-11-09, 8:43 PM #15
I loathe the popularity of CoD

not the game, just how it leers at me in every social venue i inhabit. a good third of the girls i date play it religiously and i just want to get away from it
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-11-09, 8:57 PM #16
I bought it. So what you wanna fight about it?

It's ok, not over done like mw2 and a little better balanced but they did rip a lot of ideas from other games, like gun game anyone? buying upgrades with money? I've always been a fan of treyarch.. and WaW I loved the SP campaign it just felt epic at times when they throw in the dramatic music.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-11-09, 9:48 PM #17
gun game? Which one?
2010-11-10, 6:18 AM #18
what do you mean which one..? gun game was a popular mod/game type on cs:s
2010-11-10, 7:37 AM #19
Still busy with Castlevania & Fallout.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2010-11-10, 9:31 AM #20
Originally posted by Spook:
...a good third of the girls i date play it religiously and i just want to get away from it

Send them my way please and thank you.
2010-11-10, 9:53 AM #21
I didn't care much for Modern Warfare or the sequel. The ranking weapons system is annoying. People with no responsibilities can play all day and earn a high enough rank to be able to spawn with a laser-guided heat-seeking tactical nuke minigun, while people who have **** to do and don't play all day start with a ****ing cap and ball handgun.

*spawn*
*killed by 12 year old*
*spawn*
*killed by 12 year old*
*spawn*
*killed by 12 year old*

FUN GAME GUYS!

That being said, is this game different? I did enjoy the SP campaign in both of the Modern games.
2010-11-10, 10:15 AM #22
I think youre confused, it goes

1.Spawn
2.Airstrike bomb
3.Spawn again
4.Airstrike bomb
5.Spawn again
6.Helicopter sits in front of your face and rapes you until you can't press charges
2010-11-10, 10:24 AM #23
I only liked WaW for it's co-op campaign and Nazi zombies. But THIS.... this seems like a bargain. NOT over-the-top like MW2, Epic-looking campaign, co-op, Nazi zombies, Dead Ops Arcade (!!!), hidden bonus games, packed-in gameplay mods. . . I think I'll purchase this. I liked the first Modern Warfare better than MW2, and I think this is a good successor, based on the videos, reviews, and info I have gathered. :hist101:
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2010-11-10, 10:27 AM #24
You will like lightside.
2010-11-10, 11:39 AM #25
Well, lets see. MW and MW2 combined had less gameplay for me than Bad Company 2, and that includes both SP and MP. I have no reason to buy Black Ops, something that's sure to fail in the same ways the others did. Oh and Zombies? Seriously? I guess they figured out the regular game wasn't good enough.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-11-10, 8:45 PM #26
How did any of the Call of Duty games fail exactly?
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2010-11-10, 8:50 PM #27
I heard the campaign was three hours long. :v:
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2010-11-10, 9:15 PM #28
Originally posted by Sol:
How did any of the Call of Duty games fail exactly?

They failed to the PC audience, who has had better for a while now.

Like TF2, which to this day still garners hours of gameplay a week from me.
2010-11-10, 9:23 PM #29
I agree on that. :/
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2010-11-11, 2:43 PM #30
So apparently Black Ops has a decent single player campaign, although it's pretty much just another Modern Warfare 2 in plot.

Multiplayer, however, at least on PC version, is apparently abysmal. Ars Technica reported horrible problems with matchmaking, tons of unplayable lag, broken 3D support, terrible framerates (even on beastly machines), etc.
2010-11-11, 4:25 PM #31
Originally posted by Commander 598:
I heard the campaign was three hours long. :v:

Reviews say it's 8 hours long. The game is garnering good reviews so far.
2010-11-11, 4:27 PM #32
I'll trade someone Fable III (360) for Black Ops (360) after this weekend
2010-11-12, 8:35 AM #33
I picked up the game last night, and although I was really sleep deprived, I had a pretty good go at it. The SP campaign seems pretty well done, but it's like every other Call of Duty since 4. Every situation is standing out in the open while a million bad guys are shooting at you from every which direction. Very accurate, very long bursts, even through smoke and even when you're in cover. They also have this maneuver where they crouch down of the floor, stick their head around cover and blind fire you. They're insanely accurate, but the snap on aiming will never target them. In a lot of firefights there's very little cover, and what little cover is available is taken by your allies. I was originally playing in the hardest difficulty, but I came across a timed segment and it was pretty much impossible to complete.

The multiplayer seems pretty good. I got my ass handed to me on a plate because I was sleep deprived, not used to the PS3 controller and hadn't played a CoD game in a while. The gameplay isn't anything astounding, it doesn't really do much to advance the series in any meaningful way. The weapons seem balanced. The assault rifles are still strong, but they're not as dominating as in MW2. The only gun that I've come across that seems unfair is the M16, which is also the starting rifle. Developers must not play FPS games online, because if they did, they'd stop putting in these super powerful burst fire weapons. It does very high damage with a high fire rate and very little recoil. Maybe when the average player level goes up you'll see less of them.

The sound direction is a bit underwhelming, although not as bad as everyone says. You will not be able to hear footsteps (other than your own), even with good headphones. This makes the equipment even more necessary, especially for pro campers like myself. The air support sounds are toned down, which makes them sound a bit weak, but I'd rather hear what's going on in the game than what's blaring over my head.

Lag is a big issue, both on the consoles and on the PC. I heard they're putting out a patch for the PC, but the lag on the PSN is nasty. I had a 3 bar at most. When I played MW2, lag wasn't in issue in most matches I played. Hopefully the issue sorts itself out after the initial rush of everyone buying the game. I hate dying around corners.
2010-11-12, 8:42 AM #34
The story seems pretty lame, too. So far it can be described as, "Well, I'm with these guys and we've been doing things. Except that we're not able to do most of the things we want so we have to do other things instead." I'm expecting someone to tell me that their princess is in another castle.
2010-11-12, 9:10 AM #35
I played it last night for a few hours. I only played MP, and local MP at that. It as OK. The two online games I played were laggy as hell on my 25mbps down/5mbps up connection.

The game had a lot of "oh that's bull****" moments, which are fun every once in a while, but too many make the game annoying. Even on the killcam replay you can how bull**** some of the knife kills are. As far as weapons go, they're OK, but anything that doesn't spray bullets is a waste of your time.

Some of the maps are large, but the areas all look the same so it's easy to get disoriented. I only played for four hours, though, so I didn't really learn them.

One of the more annoying aspects is that for a game attempting to be "real," using real weapons, other plays are able to take a lot of hits before they go down. Three .308 shots to the chest gets the other guy about half way dead. What a crock.

I wasn't impressed with the MP. It's almost identical to MW and MW2, so if you're not a fan, steer clear. I would like to play through the SP Campaign, but that can wait until the game loses popularity and I can borrow a copy or the price goes down.
2010-11-12, 2:11 PM #36
Originally posted by zanardi:
what do you mean which one..? gun game was a popular mod/game type on cs:s

<3 CS:S ggame.
2010-11-12, 2:44 PM #37
I find it upsetting that most FPS games these days do not seem to care about SP campaigns at all, focusing on MP almost entirely it seems.
>>untie shoes
2010-11-12, 4:17 PM #38
Didn't Treyarch make some kinda Bond game a long time ago?

Or maybe I'm just thinking of Eurocom, who I know make or have made Bond titles, but for some reason I think Treyarch did too!
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2010-11-12, 4:18 PM #39
Originally posted by Antony:
I find it upsetting that most FPS games these days do not seem to care about SP campaigns at all, focusing on MP almost entirely it seems.

Just finished the campaign. It's probably the best one since 4. Probably the best characters in the entire series. It's pretty long, too. I'd say about 6-8 hours of play including deaths/loads.

It's pretty intelligent and well-written for a blockbuster FPS. I'd say it even makes up for the obnoxious AI.
2010-11-12, 4:22 PM #40
I can't figure out what the hell to do at the end of the prison break "Wield a fist of steel" it says to protect Reznov, and I have killed a couple hundred mooks, but it doesn't continue at all.

↑ Up to the top!