Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Help spruce up my PC!
Help spruce up my PC!
2010-11-09, 7:32 PM #1
Been thinking about this and I thought I would give the machine a retrofit. The last upgrade occurred probably just before I started working for my company which is approaching 4 years ago. From what I remember 4 years might as well be 1995. Unfortunately, I've fallen quite out of the loop of the latest in PC upgrades. So! I call upon thee to help me become modern.

Purpose:

Mainly to stay current and I've got a little extra dough I can blow. Also seeing some titles coming out that make me want to go "ooooooooh shiny." Besides, after a long day of work dealing with frustrating code, nagging boss, and that ******* who CUT RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, YOU ****ER, I would like to release my tension in the form of shooting people/monsters/robots/Cool Matty.

Budget:

I'm not looking for the UBERLEETOMGBBQ gaming system. $500 is my limit. If there's something out there higher, you'll have to sell me on it. I figure $500 will get me a decent CPU+Board+GPU. But remember, I live in the State of California so there is a 35% tax on everything. I am loyal to no brands. Intel, AMD, nVidia, ATI, whatever works and is a bargain.

Current Rig:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ @ 2.6 GHz
nVidia GeForce 7950
Eh I don't know what board I have. Don't care to look it up
2.00 GB memory, no, don't know if it's DDR1/2/3/99.
All sorts of piddle and crap.

So help me out here! Oooh Lakers are on. brb.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2010-11-09, 7:36 PM #2
I'm going to suggest, in no particular order and just because it's what I have:
Intel i5 series processor, 750 is what I got but they updated it with a 760 I think.
AMD HD57XX or 68XX, depending on how much you want graphics.

↑ Up to the top!