Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Poley creates Universe
Poley creates Universe
2010-11-10, 7:33 AM #1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11711228

Hey JB, good work! Got anything to tell us about this?, I'd love to hear it!

(Also, if you have any killer images I would whimper in happiness)
2010-11-10, 7:37 AM #2
Now he can make an apple pie from scratch!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-10, 8:43 AM #3
Originally posted by Emon:
Now he can make an apple pie from scratch!

<3 carl sagan
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-11-10, 8:47 AM #4
The youtube song has been repeating in my head since I read that post earlier.

ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-10, 10:11 AM #5
haha

lead ion experiements, to be honest it's not really my thing and anyhow at the moment I'm totally and utterly bogged down with writing (or not in this case) my thesis while at the same time having physics coordinators moan at me for not updating stuff or doing this and that...

Briefly though, they are doing the lead ion collisions to look for stuff called quark-gluon plasma. Time wise, from the big bang, this stuff comes after the proton-proton collisions that we have been doing and is basically at the stage where more complex atoms started to form. That's about all I can remember off the top of my head.

anyhow, I've been looking for a good excuse for some much needed procrastination so I'll go find some fancy pictures.

edit for the images.

Thinking about it I better do some quick explanation.

The first two pictures are the heavy ion collisions and what your first thought will probably be...that's just a mess and you'd be right. If you compare the top two images to the one at the bottom, which is a proton-proton collision (and a top quark candidate event...what I'm looking at) you'll see the big difference in the amount of matter around.

This is a perfect example of the difference in time before right after the big bang (proton-proton collisions) and just a few moments later, talking something like 10^-7 seconds after the big bang for heavy ion and something like 10^-12 (and less) for proton-proton collisions.

If you want a bit more info just ask away.
Attachment: 24461/atlas2010_vp1_run168665_evt83797.jpg (63,789 bytes)
Attachment: 24462/JiveXML_168665_57983-YX-RZ-LegoPlot-2010-11-08-12-41-37.jpg (60,899 bytes)
Attachment: 24463/emu2btag_run160958_evt9038972_vp1.jpg (259,577 bytes)
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2010-11-10, 10:57 AM #6
i think its amazing.

I never knew u could use such a high energy density to instigate a quark plasma, not just general fusion/proton plasma.

Now i understand the idea of how the 4 fundamental forces combine above certain energies. Electro-Strong Nuclear force COMBO

so, er, anything useful we can extract from these experiments yet? / douche response
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2010-11-10, 11:24 AM #7
Massassi News 5, a first look scoop from our inside man, Poley in the field.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-11-10, 1:18 PM #8
Are we all dead?
2010-11-11, 3:52 AM #9
Originally posted by Ruthven:
so, er, anything useful we can extract from these experiments yet? / douche response

simple answer, nope.

it's all "blue sky" research at the moment, I wouldn't expect any knowledge that comes out of the data from the experiments to be used for probably 20-50+ years.

My guess is that the heavy ion data might be used sooner in some of the upcoming fusion experiments in helping model/shape the plasma, but that's maybe a long shot, but who knows.

The data from the proton-proton collisions...well it pretty much took a generation (and then some) for our knowledge from the early electron experimenets to filter through into what we do now.

The electron was formly discovered around 1900 I think and it took physicists like Rutherford in the early 1910's to further understand the structure of the atom and the electron which lead to the first theories on quantum mechanics. Those same theories underpin a lot of the semi-conductor and atomic industry over the past 50-60 years so you probably want to think along those lines for a timeline.

We're at the point where we can move around individual atoms and molecules which we first experimented with nearly 100 years ago. We're designing computer chips that are getting closer and closer to the limits where quantum tunnelling will play an increasing role in leakage current from computer chips (basically electrons start jumping between "walls" in the circuitry).

I haven't got a clue when...heck even IF we'll ever be able to control/move at the sub-atomic level without something the size of a particle acclerator but it'll need a lot of time for people far far cleverer than me to get their head around the data.

and no we aren't all dead....yet.

Rbots
2010-11-11, 4:14 AM #10
Originally posted by Tibby:
Are we all dead?

Were we ever alive?
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2010-11-11, 10:35 AM #11
Is this the real life?
My blawgh.
2010-11-11, 10:48 AM #12
Am I your fantasy?

no wait
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-11-11, 1:28 PM #13
quite apt that we go to Queen lyrics, Dr. Brian May was an astrophysicist after all ;)

Rbots
2010-11-11, 1:54 PM #14
Originally posted by poley:
quite apt that we go to Queen lyrics, Dr. Brian May was an astrophysicist after all ;)

Yeah, not honorary or anything. Quite an interesting caught in a landslide
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!