Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I need a new turbo...
I need a new turbo...
2010-11-12, 8:47 PM #1
replaced the exhaust in the Forester today and noticed some shaft play in the turbo - guess that explains where the quart+ of oil went in the last 2000 miles!

Time for a VF39! :D
woot!
2010-11-13, 12:10 PM #2
Glad to hear you're making the best of it.

I'm sure you've checked it out, but here's NASIOC's list of other turbos to consider:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1141476
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2010-11-13, 6:43 PM #3
Nice link - thanks! I wonder if I'd be able to run a VF43 with a VF39 tune..hmm, may be time to email or call Cobb.
woot!
2010-11-13, 9:13 PM #4
I made the decision to keep my WRX stock a while back, especially when I started becoming obsessed with the GM LS series and thinking about just starting a side project car in that vein. But I recall the VF39's having cracking issues, and the VF43 and later having fixed that and other problems. On the other hand VF39s can probably be had cheap, so it might be worth it.
2010-11-13, 9:21 PM #5
It's not cheap, but having glanced over the specs a bit, that VF48 looks pretty sweet for what you're looking to do (direct bolt-on and tune).
2010-11-13, 9:26 PM #6
woot!
2010-11-13, 9:28 PM #7
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter 4 hire:
I made the decision to keep my WRX stock a while back, especially when I started becoming obsessed with the GM LS series and thinking about just starting a side project car in that vein. But I recall the VF39's having cracking issues, and the VF43 and later having fixed that and other problems. On the other hand VF39s can probably be had cheap, so it might be worth it.

Haha well basically having an STi motor, I couldn't keep it stock for too long. :P It sounds fantastic with the exhaust on it..nice and quiet, but a little bit of growl. I need to replace the turbo regardless, so I'll get an STi-spec turbo, install my STi intercooler and get a conservative tune..that's the end of my engine plans.

VF48's are $600-800. VF39's commonly end up with a wastegate crack but still work fine.
woot!

↑ Up to the top!