Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → WTF is a "Communications" degree anyway?
WTF is a "Communications" degree anyway?
2010-11-15, 4:45 PM #1
A long time ago I foolishly went to DePaul to get a Game Design degree and spend an outrageous amount of my own money out of pocket. I learned a lot that I don't regret, but I came home after getting pneumonia and bronchitis, and realizing that even if I could get into the industry I would be paying off loans long before I'd be able to live comfortably, much less design something worth playing or being proud of.

Now I have an AA and a useless Media Studies Certificate and I was about to go get a BA in "Media" Communications with a Business minor. I have edited weddings and music videos and various other crappy media for a friends family business since I was young, and decided to go with what I've actually been able to accomplish when I set myself to it, possibly working for myself or managing a group with the Business part of the degree.

I wasn't able to get into any classes this semester due to a problem with my old school sending papers to the new one, and have a semester off to think. I realized Communications is the biggest joke of a degree after reviewing some of the likely salaries and success rate for someplace like Minnesota. I honestly don't think I'm ever going to really see the kind of creative freedom or lasting stimulation from the media industry. It's so downsized, watered down, and undervalued that it's akin to working on the line.

I'm bad at math, but I'd honestly still like to get an Economics degree with an emphasis on game theory and try to apply that to educational game design, both in classrooms and with computers for kids internationally. I wonder if this is just as ambitious as my original goal, and if it's going to be so math intensive that I set myself up for failure.

Admittedly, I don't really know if I'm smart enough. I watch too much TED. I want to do the kind of research that can be applied in ways I feel stimulated. I genuinely believe games help people grow socially and facilitate learning, but I don't know if believing that means I can actually make it happen. I've learned the hard way here on massassi alone that passion is not nearly enough.

I am willing to apply myself to this Economics degree, but I don't know if there might be a more realistic path that might be both financially valid, and also personally satisfying that you folks might be able to suggest. I am going to University of Superior Wisconsin, and must change my Major soon if I don't want to go into Communications.

tl;dr I couldn't afford or make money learning to make games, I got an AA and a Media Certificate, I was going to get a Media Communications and Business degree, but now I'm thinking about getting an Economics degree and focus studies on game theory in education, but I'm wondering if I'm only passionate about it as I was with all my stupid mod ideas, and if there might be something a little more suited to my capabilities.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-15, 5:01 PM #2
Alright, a few things:

- Unless you're in fine arts, cs or engineering, you're probably never going to get to use an undergraduate degree for anything. It's a generic get-your-foot-in-the-door sort of thing like a high school diploma is supposed to be. If you aren't going to grad school you might as well just get your communications degree, get your 4.0 and spend every night drinking and playing video games.

- Economics is one of the most math-heavy majors. Past the second year level you're mostly dealing with wacky stuff like econometrics, which has some of the highest math and statistics prerequisites of any course at any school ever. Realistically, you'd never get into an economics grad program unless you had a background in honors or graduate level real analysis during your undergrad.

- The odds of getting a research job with an undergraduate degree are about the same as becoming a rock star.

- Game theory isn't what you think it is.

- If you were passionate about your mod ideas you would have done more of the work yourself.
2010-11-15, 5:02 PM #3
Hey do what I'm going to do!

Get a film degree and then get a job at 7-11 so that you can steal beer and drink your life away!

Granted, school is free for me, so...
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-11-15, 5:13 PM #4
Bad time to post the holytaco link from my other thread? :downswords:

Quote:
Get a film degree and then get a job at 7-11 so that you can steal beer and drink your life away!

Granted, school is free for me, so...

Sounds a lot like what a couple of my friends are doing. Their uncle who didn't have any kids got a purple heart in the Gulf (or Vietnam, I forget) so I not only get to watch their shenanigans while I study hard but I get to pay for it too.

JediKirby - How old are you? I was about 20-21 when I realized most of what JonC said and decided to go for engineering. I HATED math and was lucky to get a C in high school level trigonometry but I've made it work so far and I'm just about done with DiffEQ. How hard have you thought about this?

I hear there is going to be a huge demand for accounting. I have a friend who started out in this a couple decades ago and worked his way up in local politics and is now an elected county official making decent coin.
2010-11-15, 5:33 PM #5
There's the math thing, too: the way high schools and universities teach 'normal' math is profoundly stupid. You could do much better in the sort of math you need for econ, but you'll probably have to take math for stupids before you're allowed to take the fun stuff.
2010-11-15, 6:36 PM #6
I honestly do not know what a Communications degree is. But this mostly because I never cared to find out. What I do know is that alot of female students have communication majors or have obtained a degree in this field.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2010-11-15, 6:49 PM #7
Yeah I am learning things about maths on my own and actually having fun now. I am interested in actually learning real maths now.

And after I get my film degree, I'll probably get a MFA Film degree and work for the Utah governor's office on the Film Council.

Oh ****, I've let my not totally useless plan out of the bag!

That is, of course, unless I can afford to make youtube videos while working at 7-11.

I work at the Veterans Office and it's interesting to see some of the dependents who get benefits transferred to them. Especially some of the girls my age...
2010-11-15, 6:51 PM #8
Utah Film Council?

Do they review documentaries on potatoes?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2010-11-15, 7:08 PM #9
The 1st, 4th and 5th points Jon`C made are true. I don't know about the other ones just because I'm ignorant in the matter.

I got what was essentially a communications degree, though I seem to trick enough people because it was called "Media and Communication Studies." I don't regret it, and I did apply myself to what I was interested in anyway (though I have a chunk of a portfolio from my previous attempts at animation and interactive art to make my university time somewhat more valuable in theory). To my understanding, majors with media and/or communication focuses were for people going into marketing or, in my case, places where you couldn't major outright in creative writing.

It's a moot point for me though until I apply myself for better jobs, which I hope to do soon...
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2010-11-15, 9:10 PM #10
I'm an Art major. FML
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2010-11-15, 10:33 PM #11
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Utah Film Council?

Do they review documentaries on potatoes?

That's Idaho dude.

See also;Sundance.
2010-11-15, 10:45 PM #12
You must have meant documentaries on Mormons :tfti:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-15, 11:14 PM #13
I don't think it matters what you study, you just have to specialize in something and develop a skill. I was in Communications my first semester, but I got out once I realized it was too broad.

From what I hear, computer science majors are having extraordinarily hard times finding jobs now. I've also heard that accountants are in demand.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2010-11-16, 6:40 AM #14
Originally posted by Emon:
You must have meant documentaries on Mormons :tfti:

funny cus jesus

im working on a project which is going to blow the mormon-drug-MILF situation WIDE OPEN
2010-11-16, 7:14 AM #15
the what
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-16, 7:58 AM #16
is the situation the fact that you can't have a mormon ILF without the M because the elders knock up all of the girls when they're 14?
2010-11-16, 8:20 AM #17
What's a communications degree? I'll ask my friend when she gets out in May and [most likely] still works at the Olive Garden.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2010-11-16, 4:18 PM #18
First, if you are not good at math, game theory is the last place you want to tread. But don't feel too bad. There is a lot of game theory in a lot of other areas of economics obviously where you don't have to be a wizard with multi variable calculus to apply it. Most of the times game theory is used in industrial organization type settings like discussing collusion, and games like that where you are battling with another firm and innovating, cutting prices, quanitites, etc. But when you "get into" game theory, it's a whole other ballpark. All math. All horrendous math.

Non Grad school path
Econometrics is tough, but not THAT tough. The tough part of Econometrics is the theory behind it, that's where you get your PhD. For the most part though, undergrad econometrics is incredibly rewarding and you still do learn a bit of simple theory. Fortunately, computers have taken most of the busy work of econometrics out of the equation. Its is a real blast, and if you think you would love a job where you research, model experiments, data mine, etc, I would whole-heartedly recommend an Economics degree given that you do take some additional math (Linear Algebra/DiffeQ might help) and an Econometrics class. A good econometrics class is a great bargaining chip on your resume, but a good econometrics class that teaches you proficiency in STATA or some other statistical package is even better. In my opinion, an Economics degree is pretty useless. But an Economics degree with a mathematical emphasis (so usually econometrics, lin algebra/diffeq, calc123, stats) is a great degree. I would add though that I've been told that when it comes to Econ especially, where your undergrad is definitley makes a difference. For example, getting the Econ degree at UW-Madison is a bit different than UW-Lake Superior, especially now that the professors at these top schools are so highly regarded. (come to madison kirby!)

Jon'C is right. You'll never get a research position with just an Economics degree. Almost every research position I have applied to always asks for proficiency in statistical packages, good academic record obviously, and significant quantitative ability, aka math.

Grad School Path
If you do not like math, do not be an Econ major intending to go to grad school. Even if you do well in Calc 1-2-3, Real Analysis is a whole other factor. However, there is some light here. There are plenty of people that actually do pretty terrible in Calc, but do great in Analysis because they know how to prove things. But regardless, the math you will need to be successful in Grad school is Calc 1-2-3, Linear Algebra, Differential Equasions, Econometrics, Statistics, Into to Analysis / Real Analysis, with Analysis being mega mega important and good grades in all of them preferably, with better grades near the end showing improvement/not slacking off. So it's a lot of math (currently suffering). A lot of it probably will be really tough, especially Analysis unless you are naturally gifted at that sort of thing.

TL;DR: Economics degrees are becoming less useful as time goes on because of the reliance on econometric testing and mathematical ability. That's why if you major in Economics, and you plan on using your knowledge in that realm, make sure you take some math with it. But, it really is awesome. Econometrics is really an absolute blast. By far the most rewarding class I've taken. Incredibly useful, incredibly thought provoking, and generally you get to see some awesome results! If possible, something that might seem up your alley but I don't know where its taught really is the new field of Behavioral Economics. Kind of combines psychology + the idea of rationality to explain why people are irrational, etc. For a good example, read Dan Ariely's "Predictably Irrational". Good book, and even better human being. He actually answered one of my emails with a request to talk over my question in person!
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2010-11-16, 7:44 PM #19
Originally posted by Jon`C:
is the situation the fact that you can't have a mormon ILF without the M because the elders knock up all of the girls when they're 14?

no they can't date until thjey're 16.

I'm talking about the insane epidemic of housewives abusing prescription drugs in Utah (mainly Utah county, which is where Provo, meaning BYU, are)

Mainly due to the fact that they were snatched up by a 21 year old return missionary when they were 18 or 19 and are now expected to be a housewife. More terrifyingly, they are supposed to be a mother with no life experience past high school of wednesday night church groups.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE BROTHERS AND SISTERS
2010-11-16, 9:04 PM #20
Originally posted by mscbuck:
An economics degree without math is useless

:smith:
Crap
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2010-11-16, 9:22 PM #21
Originally posted by Spook:
no they can't date until thjey're 16.

I'm talking about the insane epidemic of housewives abusing prescription drugs in Utah (mainly Utah county, which is where Provo, meaning BYU, are)

Mainly due to the fact that they were snatched up by a 21 year old return missionary when they were 18 or 19 and are now expected to be a housewife. More terrifyingly, they are supposed to be a mother with no life experience past high school of wednesday night church groups.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE BROTHERS AND SISTERS

The world is a truly horrifying place.
2010-11-16, 9:34 PM #22
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1110854']The world is a truly horrifying place.

As if 4chan and the oil industry weren't enough to make me consider blowing things up, we have Utah county. God help us if there are people like me out there, but without my artistic temperament.
2010-11-17, 12:12 AM #23
Thanks a lot for all of the feedback.

I guess I'm just not sure what kind of a job I am going to get after a Communications degree that I couldn't already get now by knowing the right people. The business side at least seems practical, but saying that I'm going to then start a business in media seems like a pretty elaborate way of saying I don't know what I want to do.

While economics might not be as realistic, I want to spend my education gaining skills and understanding in a field that can be applied in both practical and theoretical ways.

Then again, as mentioned, the degree is just the foot in the door. If I find a job or employer that allows me to grow and learn, it won't really matter where I started in education. I am just a little worried about ending up editing in a local newsroom for the rest of my life, always wishing I'd been able to take part in something more creative or involved, but I guess that comes down to confidence and will on my part more than anything.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-17, 8:58 AM #24
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I guess I'm just not sure what kind of a job I am going to get after a Communications degree that I couldn't already get now by knowing the right people.
um... none. If you want a job that (legally) requires an education you should be going to trade school, not university.

Quote:
While economics might not be as realistic, I want to spend my education gaining skills and understanding in a field that can be applied in both practical and theoretical ways.
ahaha, applied economics.

Quote:
I am just a little worried about ending up editing in a local newsroom for the rest of my life
No you won't, not unless you have a friend or relative working there. Not on the merits of a communications degree.
2010-11-17, 9:06 AM #25
even though he is canadian he is right

what sense does it make that we go to college to get vocational skillz

youre supposed to go to college for higher study of your field and streams and pussy

Kirbs, get a culinary certificate and start a you themed restaurant. Yes sir, success that way lies.
2010-11-17, 9:10 AM #26
Success actually does lie that way. Tradesmen (other than shop finish carpenters) make more money than most college grads, they make money sooner, many of them earn a journeyman ticket (the trades equivalent of a bachelor's degree) in three years, they're more likely to start their own business and they're more likely to be successful in their own business.

↑ Up to the top!