Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Nice guys" vs "bad boys"
"Nice guys" vs "bad boys"
2010-11-16, 12:07 AM #1
Read this and thought of many threads on here over the years where someone had fallen for a girl, but she was in to "bad boys" and he just ended up being the shoulder to cry on. Also, who was it that would always jump in to those conversations and say "you just gotta hit on every girl you see and play the odds, there's nothing special about one particular girl"?

Quote:
Bad boys- and I’m referring here to the attractively naughty ones, not the ****heads – are confident on the outside and wounded on the inside. Their wounds cause them to behave in risky ways (in my job I describe this as “maladaptive health behaviors to manage negative affect”), and the confidence is a shell to protect the squadgy bits in the middle; like chitin on a cockroach, it makes them virtually indestructible, but no less messy if you somehow crush them. Women are drawn to the combination of confidence (“chicks love confidence,” as Minnie Driver tells us in the South Park movie) and vulnerability. Women will, indeed, tolerate a surprising degree of dickwad-ery in order to feel that they and only they understand and can HELP this beautiful, wounded soul.

All of which, needless to say, usually ends badly.

Nice guys, in contrast – and here I mean the kind of nice guys women don’t date, not beta heroes – wear their insecurity on the outside, like a particularly unwaterproof raincoat. A protective layer of nothing, with nerves (as PG Wodehouse might put it) sticking out a yard from their bodies. You can’t touch them without hurting them. So you don’t touch them.

This also ends badly.

Fortunately, I think, most people are reasonably healthy and able to tend to their own, not-too-abundant emotional needs. I think most of us live in a happy middle-ground between self-parenting so fiercely that no one can get close to us and needing so desperately to be parented that no one but an actual PARENT would be willing to do it.

In other words, I think most of the time this isn’t what dating failure is about; I think most of the time dating failure is about simple incompatibility, without reference to the emotional health of the people involved. Most of us are reasonably good at staying over our own emotional centers of gravity and, like, being nice to each other.

And if you find yourself leaning on the tired old trope of “He was/I am too much of a ‘nice guy,’ to go out with,” or “They/I like me/him because I’m/he’s a ‘bad boy,’” there’s almost certainly something more interesting happening that you’d be able to see – and probably learn from – if you stopped to look a little more closely and think a little more critically.

Like culture has fabricated these boxes into which we chuck people – the Bad Boy box and the Nice Guy box – based on the flimsiest of information, and we think we’ve EXPLAINED something, when all we’ve done is… put it in a box. It’s not that the bad boy/nice guy trope is without ANY meaning, it’s just that the meaning is so rarely useful and so shallowly descriptive as to make it almost meaningless.

Me, I think you can do a lot more with a gender-free story about self-care and empathy.

From Emily Nagoski :: sex nerd (btw, if you want to be good at sex, read this woman's entire blog (adult content, obviously))
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2010-11-16, 5:57 AM #2
As interesting as that was, it's nothing that hasn't been written before.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-11-16, 5:58 AM #3
all I took from that was maevie wants to be good at sex.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2010-11-16, 6:17 AM #4
So, women think they can heal me with their love because I wear cool jackets?

:neckbeard:
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-11-16, 10:51 AM #5
Originally posted by maevie:
Also, who was it that would always jump in to those conversations and say "you just gotta hit on every girl you see and play the odds, there's nothing special about one particular girl"?

Pagewizard? Sounds vaguely familiar.
2010-11-16, 1:47 PM #6
Pagewizard yes, until he turned into a born-again Christian
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-16, 2:13 PM #7
No, Pagewizard would tell everyone that you just need to **** your way through life. What he calls born-again Christian, I call virgin.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2010-11-16, 4:31 PM #8
I'm paraphrasing, but this post reminds me of a quote that goes something like, "women aren't interested in picking bad boys over nice guys. They're interested in picking strong men over weak men."
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2010-11-16, 4:58 PM #9
What's that? People don't like depressed whiners? Say it a'int so.
2010-11-16, 9:14 PM #10
There is a website for this: http://www.heartless-*****es.com/

Edit: oh right. you guys can probably figure it out
2010-11-17, 12:28 AM #11
Free SF_Gold!
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2010-11-17, 6:49 AM #12
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
all I took from that was maevie wants to be good at sex.

I do. And I am. Are you not that bothered, then?

2010-11-17, 6:56 AM #13
Haha, awesome.
Warhead[97]
2010-11-17, 8:39 AM #14
stuff

For the record, I learned most of her blog from listening to girls.

I am now comfortably mediocre at sex.
2010-11-17, 8:45 AM #15
I'll have you know I've never had an unsatisfied partner.

- Though sometimes my hand gets tired.
2010-11-18, 12:14 AM #16
Originally posted by Spook:
For the record, I learned most of her blog from listening to girls.

I am now comfortably mediocre at sex.

The first part of your statement surprises me, but not when followed by the second. The thing that is awesome about this blog is that she cuts through all the societal crap that people have heaped on them from a young age, skewing their expectations of sex. I've known very few girls who understood their bodies and desires well enough to be able to articulate most of what is in that blog.

2010-11-18, 3:35 AM #17
i miss you maeve :D
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2010-11-18, 3:44 AM #18
Originally posted by poley:
i miss you maeve :D

I approve of this message.

:neckbeard:
2010-11-18, 6:13 AM #19

I'm perfectly happy with my sex life.. I was just making a joke that I'm sure no one understood/thought was funny. I'll go back to my corner.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2010-11-18, 9:17 AM #20
The first part of your statement surprises me, but not when followed by the second. The thing that is awesome about this blog is that she cuts through all the societal crap that people have heaped on them from a young age, skewing their expectations of sex. I've known very few girls who understood their bodies and desires well enough to be able to articulate most of what is in that blog.

I think I would probably be really good at sex if I tried it sober but that hasn't happened in years. It's not that hard to determine the best course of action when combining what someone is attempting to say with the amplitude of hip movement, I think. But then alcohol

relevant

[http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20101103.gif]

I think not. FUnny I think so
2010-11-18, 9:29 AM #21
The trick is not to listen to what the partner says, you need to listen to the non-verbal cues.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2010-11-18, 2:43 PM #22
Totally. They may be SAYING "no" but they probably mean yes. It's all in the body language.
Warhead[97]
2010-11-18, 2:52 PM #23
They may be calling the police, but they're really calling out for your love!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2010-11-18, 2:58 PM #24
NO!

PLEASE DON'T!

STOP!

Is just "NO, PLEASE DON'T STOP!" broken up by panting amirite guys?

:carl:

Rape jokes. :neckbeard:
2010-11-18, 5:31 PM #25
I expected footage of an epic battle between an army of womanizing jerks that women complain about and yet continue to fall for, and an army of spineless dweebs who appear caring and compassionate but inside harbor a terrible bitterness at the perceived unfairness of life and women.

I'm sorry Maeve, but I wanted to see that.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2010-11-18, 11:43 PM #26
damn, sorry Kroko. I'll try harder next time

2010-11-18, 11:49 PM #27
I'm a nice guy and a bad boy at the same time. :colbert:
2010-11-18, 11:51 PM #28
I understand that island of awesome thing.

Women i end up hating i usually end up wanting to have sex with most.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2010-11-19, 4:14 AM #29
Originally posted by LividDK:
Pagewizard? Sounds vaguely familiar.

I remember Pagewizard's long posts on relationship advice. They were hilarious, shame I can't seem to find one using the search.
2010-11-19, 5:43 PM #30
wtf buubox?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2010-11-19, 6:40 PM #31
right?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-19, 7:41 PM #32
Pagewizard_YKS was funny at the time, but in retrospect he was just another PUA sperglord virgin. I googled a few of the things he said and they came right from a dating self-help guide.
2010-11-20, 1:39 PM #33
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Pagewizard_YKS was funny at the time, but in retrospect he was just another PUA sperglord virgin. I googled a few of the things he said and they came right from a dating self-help guide.

thats cus the game is a infallible book you need to brush up on your bibles

[http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/beautiful_dream.png]

In case you haven't noticed, all of my romantic tactics come from webcomics.
2010-11-20, 2:49 PM #34
It was something Askmen was selling. It wasn't the Game, but I don't remember what it was.
2010-11-20, 3:45 PM #35
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It was something Askmen was selling. It wasn't the Game, but I don't remember what it was.

Oh god, I think that could be worse.
2010-11-21, 10:53 AM #36
I honestly thought he was living his by life The Alphabet of Manliness, tinged with the haze of too much Jack Daniels.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-11-21, 1:39 PM #37
I think I've said more than once about the whole "approach every girl" thing .. if your odds are slim, you gotta increase the chances somehow!
2010-11-21, 2:19 PM #38
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
I think I've said more than once about the whole "approach every girl" thing .. if your odds are slim, you gotta increase the chances somehow!

[http://www.lovespellsbytanith.co.uk/lovespells_testimonial.jpg]

Thing she doesn't know is that the soulmate got to the witch doctor before she did. Like in that Haldeman short story.

↑ Up to the top!