Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Formula 1 2010
Formula 1 2010
2010-11-19, 7:35 AM #1
So race fans, what did you think about this season? My hats off to Vettel, he has really worked hard the past few years and he really deserved to win the championship, even though he wasn't the driver/team I was rooting for.

I was really hoping Alonso could hold it together but their pit strategy screwed them, and I think red bull brought in Webber to fool ferrari into making a pit stop since they were focused on Webber the whole race and not Vettel, that's just my theory though.

It was fitting that the 3 drives on the podium at Abu Dhabi have won the championship the last 3 years.

Great season, I hope to see a US based F1 team next year though.. But they need american drivers (hint hint)
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-11-19, 7:47 AM #2
Yeah it was a good year! Was cheering for Hamilton but he made way too many mistakes and didn't really have the car.

Vettel was incredible in qualifying but I felt sometimes he lacked during the races unless he could stay ahead. That's not to say he didn't deserve it, he had an incredible performance at times.

What amazed me about the last race was Button's tyres! Apparently bridgestone had said they'd last 20 laps max. He did almost 40! Just goes to show how smoothly he drives.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2010-11-19, 8:36 AM #3
I'm glad Vettel won. I think he's the quickest driver at the moment, but he's also entertainingly reckless at times - a great combination for watching on the tellybox.

+1 for Button's smoothness on those tires - he's bloody brilliant at that. Whether that'll win him another title without an exceptional car I don't know, but he's exceptionally talented.
2010-11-19, 1:59 PM #4
Yeah I really thought if they brought Button in a few laps earlier he could have been ahead of Hamilton at the end of the race.
2010-11-19, 2:57 PM #5
It's a shame Webber lost it in the last few races. Perhaps I'm biased, but Vettel comes across as a bit of a tool at times. Still glad he won, certainly over Alonso.

Great achievement winning the championship at 23 and amazing that Red Bull could do what Toyota couldn't despite not being a manufacturer. Toyota left F1 with a total of 0 race wins in 8 seasons, while RBR has had 15 in 6.

An interesting season of F1, if nothing else. The new tracks are still mostly boring however.
2010-11-19, 3:45 PM #6
Originally posted by BuuBox:
It's a shame Webber lost it in the last few races. Perhaps I'm biased, but Vettel comes across as a bit of a tool at times. Still glad he won, certainly over Alonso.

I don't think that's bias, I think it's truth. :P

I was rooting for Webber. :(
nope.
2010-11-20, 2:16 AM #7
I would have preffered Webber, but it's fair to say he's not been as quick as Vettel this year. Their rivalry is a key part of their success imo.
2010-11-21, 2:55 AM #8
Webber was only really slower than Vettel towards the end of the season, especially after his crash in Valencia. In Monaco he was in a class of his own.

Looking forward to the 2011 season. Shame Melbourne isn't first, but at least Brazil is last so it won't end on a snore fest.
2010-11-21, 6:15 AM #9
I don't know why but I would have preferred anyone out of the other 4 to winning it than Vettel,

Button had a good first season with Mclaren and was still in the hunt until problems that he had no control over effectively ruined his championship, the failure in Monaco by the mechanics not removing the cooling cover at the grid and then Vettel taking him out in the strangest overtake manoeuvre I've ever seen. I can't recall Button making a driver error this year than caused him to NOT to finish a race, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Hamilton I would have liked to have won it too, but a combination of his aggressive driving style and the odd mechanical failure was his downfall this year, that and the McLaren not being the quickest car.

Both the McLaren drivers have been working with a car that is markably slower than the RedBull and Ferrari, so to come out where they did is well done on their part.

Webber was my favourite to win, not because I thought he drove the best throughout the year, but because I felt he was more deserving of it than Vettel. Much like how Button won last year, Webber has been stuck in the mid-field since he joined F1. He's had to work damn hard to keep his place in the team and to trade 50/50 blows with Vettel (who everyone at RedBull seems to rate so highly) shows that Webber is more than capable. Still, he made more driving mistakes than Vettel, the crash at Korea in the wet, the flying into the back of the Lotus, both driver errors than cost Webber the championship. I still get the feeling though that the RedBull bosses (above Christian Horner) favour Vettel and Webber is fighting a losing battle.

Alsono....I hate and love this guy in equal measure. I personally think he's the most complete driver out there, aggressive when needed, tactically astute and able to get a team working for him. However he's also arrogant, self centred and a bully to his team mate. Still I'd rather have him win than Vettel, even after all the team-order mess that happened at Ferrari.

so....why not Vettel....well, I get the feeling Vettel is a cocky ****er, he's been handed the RB6 on a platter, with the team bosses favouring him over his team mate, even when on the timesheets there's rarely anything in it. He doesn't admit his own mistakes and what gets me the most is his over takes on the track. From memory he didn't win a race by making a competitive over take at any point (other than first corner mayhem), he won by either starting from pole and finishing in pole, or over taking in the pit stops. The times he has had to work his way through the field he's normally bumped and bashed into people in the process....his attempted over takes on Webber in Turkey and then Button at Belgium are laughable cockups with the blame squarely on Vettel.

Meh, I probably looking through rose-tinted glasses at everyone else, Vettel had a crap load of bad luck with mechanical failures and there is no doubting his potential and speed, I just don’t think he should be champion yet.

Oh, there is also the whole question regarding whether the RB6 was even a legal car for the first part of the season. RedBull claiming their front wing didn't flex is complete and utter bull****, there is so much video evidence of the front wing scraping the ground on fast corners that it's laughable they didn't get penalised for it. The fact that they had to add protective strips to the bottom of their front wing (no one else had too) shows that it was getting too damn close to the ground. Clearly as the FIA introduced new tests on the bodywork they tightened up the wing and other flexible areas of the car, but there was clear evidence the RB6 was flexing in areas it shouldn't be allowed to.

Compared to Brawn last year and the double diffuser it's a very different situation, the double diffuser was deemed legal after 6 or 7 races, the stuff the RB6 was shown to be doing in the first few races was never deemed legal, its just that they weren't testing for it properly. As the tests evolved RedBull adapted the car to pass them, some would call it clever, others would call it cheating, I'd put good money on the front wing of the RB6 from the first couple of races NOT passing the FIA tests.

---------------

Reading back over this it's pretty clear I don't like Vettel :P, in the back of my head I'm probably making the choice over who should be champion by not only thinking of this season but of what has come before, Webber is the hard luck story, Button and Hamilton are both Brits so I'm supporting them no matter what and Alonso I respect and allow to be a dick because he's earned the right too.

Taking the season by itself, no history of previous seasons, Vettel won it on speed alone, he's far from being the complete driver mind, but plenty of time for that to happen and for him to get into the same catagory as Alonso.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2010-11-21, 8:28 AM #10
Hey, I'm a brit and I don't support Hamilton whatsoever but that's mostly because he's a bit of a prick. As is his dad. :P
nope.
2010-11-21, 10:06 AM #11
That's why he's a good racer. All the best drivers are 'a bit of a prick'. Look at Schumacher and Senna, the two best drivers of all time. They had a win at any cost attitude. 2nd to them is useless, they just need to win. Occasionally that caused them to use dubious tactics like running other drivers off the road... hamilton is a bit like that and to a lesser extent so is alonso, which is why they're the best drivers at the moment.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2010-11-21, 10:09 AM #12
I'll give Hamilton credit for one thing, when he first started his career I couldn't stand him. I feel like he has found his place, stepped back a little bit, matured a little bit, and being Button's teammate maybe he's learned a thing or two.
2010-11-21, 11:00 AM #13
Originally posted by Ni:
That's why he's a good racer. All the best drivers are 'a bit of a prick'. Look at Schumacher and Senna, the two best drivers of all time. They had a win at any cost attitude. 2nd to them is useless, they just need to win. Occasionally that caused them to use dubious tactics like running other drivers off the road... hamilton is a bit like that and to a lesser extent so is alonso, which is why they're the best drivers at the moment.

Wrong kind of prick. My dad's mate deals with karting and whatnot and seemingly back when Hamilton was doing that and did anything out of line his dad would play the race card to get him out of any hot water. :v:
nope.
2010-11-21, 3:42 PM #14
All the best F1 cars blur the rules somewhat.

↑ Up to the top!