Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Trying to help a friend. Xandros Linux.
Trying to help a friend. Xandros Linux.
2010-11-21, 11:18 PM #1
So my friend wants me to fix his netbook. It's an Asus Eee PC 2G Surf. I've tried many remedies and even Wine for 'emulation', but I CANNOT get Firefox to update past version 2 and for some reason, the latest Flash player will not work either. I've heard this is notoriously hard.... especially on this version. Anyone help me update Firefox to the latest (stable) version and update to Flash 10 on Xandros?? Sorry, I'm desperate. Much appreciation, all.

:psyduck:
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2010-11-21, 11:25 PM #2
Well you asked the right place, at least half the people here run Linux.
2010-11-22, 12:17 AM #3
Is switching to the Ubuntu Netbook version a possibility?

o.0
2010-11-22, 1:48 AM #4
Originally posted by Tibby:
Well you asked the right place, at least half the people here run Linux.

lol
2010-11-23, 11:31 AM #5
But nobody seems to care. *sigh* :carl:

Lol, no matter. I'll figure it out for myself. I trusted this forum more than any others.

I remember when there was a time that I would have had over a dozen possible remedies to such a request. All y'all are SLACKIN'!!!

Or moved on.

-Emon
2010-11-23, 11:41 AM #6
The problem is to specific. I doubt a lot of people here has asus eee pc with xandros experience here.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-11-23, 11:56 AM #7
general linux solution for flashplayer 10:

(root terminal)

apt-get update
apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-11-23, 12:00 PM #8
Why is it running xandros anyway? From what I can gather with basic research it seems like Xandros is a weird combination of Linux and Windows. So why not use Ubuntu Netbook?
And don't get all passive aggressive because it turns out nobody has a solution to the problem, it's a vague problem for a specific peice of hardware and software.
2010-11-23, 4:19 PM #9
Yeah, I read the post but I know nothing. I use debian/ubuntu/rh/centos on various workstations/servers throughout my home and office and I've never experienced anything like you're describing. It's always better to pick a distro that a lot of people use.
2010-11-24, 8:48 AM #10
Yeah, a friend got it in a trade. I looked at it and made a face.

And Tibby - Shut your mouth slut. Put some clothes on.

-Emon
2010-11-24, 1:15 PM #11
Because making enemies in the community is going to get your problem solved so much faster.
2010-11-24, 2:43 PM #12
Tibby, you're being an idiot.

I am 99.9% sure that Asus system comes with Xandros, thus, there was no "choice" involved.
2010-11-24, 3:10 PM #13
Gee thanks, that's what I get for suggesting a different approach.
2010-11-24, 4:18 PM #14
Xandros is dead, install something recent.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2010-11-24, 5:52 PM #15
He's not an idiot for suggesting an alternative.

↑ Up to the top!