Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Scratched XBox disk
Scratched XBox disk
2010-11-23, 7:28 PM #1
Long story short (actually it's not really a long story so I dont know why I said that) I was at my cousins house and bumped the xbox while it was on. BAM. Disk has a nice scratch in it and won't load past the game menu.

It's only scratched in one place. Should I attempt to fix it with [something you suggest] or just buy a new copy of the game?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2010-11-23, 7:38 PM #2
you could always see if a local video store does resurfacing... $1-4 to have them run it through a professional cd buffing machine can often be much better than buying a new copy of the game unless a used copy can easily be found in that price range
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2010-11-23, 7:47 PM #3
Our local Hastings does it free of charge. But then I usually have to wipe the crap off when they're done.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2010-11-23, 7:50 PM #4
a professional buffing machine should never leave crap that needs to be wiped off

chances are they are using a skip dr or some other similar consumer grade scratch repair device or kit
2010-11-23, 7:57 PM #5
Hm, I'm honestly not sure if we've got any video stores around here anymore. Would a game stop have a good buffing machine?
2010-11-23, 7:59 PM #6
No. They don't even clean their discs. They just sell the same dirty scratched disc again and again and again everytime someone brings it back.
2010-11-23, 8:18 PM #7
I hear toothpaste does the trick for filling scratches. Though. . .Don't use toothpaste for xbox games, unless you've found a more effective method than I used.

. . .Rest in peace Fallout 3

:gonk:
My blawgh.
2010-11-23, 8:46 PM #8
Amazingly, furniture polish sprayed on a paper towel to wipe disc works wonders.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2010-11-23, 9:31 PM #9
I've had lots of success polishing audio/data CD's with polishing compound designed for taking scratches out of automotive finishes. I've never tried it on a DVD or any newer high capacity optical disk and I really don't know how they work or how different they are from a regular CD so I have no idea if it would work.
2010-11-23, 9:40 PM #10
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
I hear toothpaste does the trick for filling scratches. Though. . .Don't use toothpaste for xbox games, unless you've found a more effective method than I used.

. . .Rest in peace Fallout 3

:gonk:

toothpaste doesn't fill the scratch... it's an abrasive compound that helps to buff out the scratch... any polishing compound that is safe to use on plastic ( brasso, certain automotive products, etc...) will work

Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
I've had lots of success polishing audio/data CD's with polishing compound designed for taking scratches out of automotive finishes. I've never tried it on a DVD or any newer high capacity optical disk and I really don't know how they work or how different they are from a regular CD so I have no idea if it would work.

if it works with CDs it will work just the same for any other optical media format that isn't blu-ray

blu-rays have a scratch resistant coating that doesn't get along well with polishing compounds or buffers
2010-11-23, 10:00 PM #11
I used toothpaste on my MoTS CD back in 2005.
Still works!
2010-11-23, 10:37 PM #12
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
toothpaste doesn't fill the scratch... it's an abrasive compound that helps to buff out the scratch... any polishing compound that is safe to use on plastic ( brasso, certain automotive products, etc...) will work

Well in my particular case the xbox cd came out worse for ware after using toothpaste.
My blawgh.
2010-11-24, 4:58 AM #13
What game?

Microsoft offer a disc replacement program for games they publish. Mightn't be much cheaper than buying a new copy of the game however...

http://support.xbox.com/en-au/pages/xbox-360/troubleshoot/games/disc-replacement-program.aspx
http://assets.xbox.com/en-us/support/replacementdisk_orderform.pdf
2010-11-24, 5:49 AM #14
It's NHL 11. I'll see if I can find a video store around here that might be able to do it
2010-11-24, 6:07 AM #15
Originally posted by mb:
It's NHL 11.

:O
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2010-11-24, 6:14 AM #16
I KNOW IT'S A TERRIBLE TRAGEDY

↑ Up to the top!