Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Question for OSX users
Question for OSX users
2010-11-27, 3:58 PM #1
(I am not one but am curious for my OSX-using friends)

In your opinion, is it worth it to virtualize Windows (whether it be XP or 7) for the sole purpose of running Office 2007 or 2010 in seamless mode? Assume the cost of a Windows license, of an Office 2007 or 2010 license, and of purchasing virtualization software (or using VirtualBox over Parallels or VMWare Fusion) are not an issue.

Or would you rather just acquire and use Office:mac 2011? (Note that it does not have OneNote)
一个大西瓜
2010-11-27, 5:34 PM #2
We use Office 2011 at my office, we've upgraded them all, and I don't think a single user has had any complaints.

That being said, not a single user in my office has ever used OneNote, we do use Communicator / Lync extensively, which works great with 2011.

I'd recommend 2011.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2010-11-27, 5:57 PM #3
Office 2011 is a lot better than 2008. There's still some useful stuff missing on the corporate level, but for the average person it's pretty good.
2010-11-27, 9:27 PM #4
Would not recommend virtualization for that, it's far too annoying. And seamless mode isn't as seamless as it claims, at least in my experience.
2010-11-27, 9:31 PM #5
OneNote, Parallels/VMWare: YAGNI. Don't work as well as advertised. Don't work well enough to be worthwhile.

If you really need a piece of Windows software, it's worth booting into Windows to use it.
2010-11-27, 11:48 PM #6
Isn't there a good OneNote equivalent for OS X? What about EverNote?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-11-28, 2:35 AM #7
Just run Windows on it?

:P
2010-11-28, 12:25 PM #8
Originally posted by Emon:
Isn't there a good OneNote equivalent for OS X? What about EverNote?

Is there one that reads OneNote notebooks? Said friends have large amounts of school notes in OneNote form already and take all notes in OneNote
一个大西瓜

↑ Up to the top!