Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Mystery button in my truck
Mystery button in my truck
2010-11-28, 10:39 PM #1
I've had my 04 gmc canyon for about 6 months now, and this button above my radio has perplexed me since i bought it. The manual I have mentions nothing about it and I havn't been able to find anything about it by means of google. It's located in the same place where the 4 wheel drive controls would be if my canyon had 4 wheel drive. Anyone know what it is for?
Attachment: 24509/mysterybutton.jpg (52,312 bytes)
2010-11-28, 10:46 PM #2
Rocket-propelled seat ejection. PRESS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! :awesomelon:
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2010-11-28, 10:47 PM #3
Turns off Power Control? Or Traction Control

hence the outline of a tire
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2010-11-28, 10:50 PM #4
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Rocket-propelled seat ejection. PRESS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! :awesomelon:

Sweet!

It looks like it might be traction control, but i just find it strange that my manual makes no mention of the button at all.
2010-11-28, 10:51 PM #5
My guess from the graphic would be that it has something to do with the tpms (tire pressure monitoring system) that is close to the image that displays if your tire pressure is low?
...or what those guys said...
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2010-11-28, 10:51 PM #6
Yep, looks like it disables traction control.
woot!
2010-11-28, 10:54 PM #7
press it while at high speed
2010-11-28, 10:55 PM #8
Originally posted by genk:
Turns off Power Control? Or Traction Control

hence the outline of a tire

I concur
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2010-11-28, 10:56 PM #9
Originally posted by Tibby:
press it while at high speed

and watch nothing happen?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-11-28, 11:05 PM #10
It's traction control. The car I was driving last year had one and it helped when driving in snow and stuff.
My blawgh.
2010-11-28, 11:13 PM #11
Your radio runs on a Pentium 3? That seems a bit overpowered.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-11-28, 11:15 PM #12
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
It's traction control. The car I was driving last year had one and it helped when driving in snow and stuff.

Yes, but as suggested above, it probably deactivates traction control. Some time when you are on a wet road, someplace safe, stomp on the gas and notice how the vehicle responds. Traction control may sort of make your vehicle fell like it is stuttering. With it disengaged your tires will most likely break loose much easier.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-11-29, 6:39 AM #13
Yep, disables traction control like everyone else said. It basically just detects slippage in your wheels and lowers your throttle automatically if your wheels are slipping/spinning.

Depending on where you live, you may or may not ever notice it. There might be a light on the dash somewhere too that kicks on whenever traction control is actually regulating your throttle. I've had my car for 2 years now and I've only ever seen mine kick on once while I was driving down an icy road, but I live in a place where sufficient snow is rare.

99.99% of the time you're on the road, it won't be doing anything.
2010-11-29, 8:48 AM #14
Traction Control generally only works at low speeds also. You will likely notice it most in the snow trying to climb a hill. My wife's honda has it and it lets us, in 2wd (since it doesn't have 4x4) climb hills other non-tc cars can't. A friend has a BMW and that one, when it detects any amount of slippage, completely drops power so it's impossible to get up a hill with any amount of slip.

You can probably test it out by finding a dirt road/parking lot. Stomp the gas, notice the truck doesn't fish tail or spin tires. Disable TC and do it again. You will likely spin tires and maybe fishtail. Be careful.
2010-11-29, 8:50 AM #15
It's also really useful for when you want to drift around corners in an exciting high-speed chase. Turn it off, take the corner, then turn it back on and leave the bad guys in your dust.

At least, that's how it works on Burn Notice in the ALL NEW HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE :\
2010-11-29, 9:59 AM #16
I watched some idiot turn off the TC in his friends BMW and slide the back-end right into a curb destroying the wheels.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-11-29, 10:19 AM #17
My car has a badass BorgWarner TorqTransfer "Torque On Demand" system that applies power to each of the four wheels independently as needed. I have used it to great effect in the muddy slopes of the San Jacinto Mountains.
2010-11-29, 12:38 PM #18
This thread astounds me.
2010-11-29, 12:42 PM #19
Originally posted by Steven:
It's also really useful for when you want to drift around corners in an exciting high-speed chase. Turn it off, take the corner, then turn it back on and leave the bad guys in your dust.

At least, that's how it works on Burn Notice in the ALL NEW HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE :\

Like.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2010-11-29, 3:33 PM #20
Originally posted by Rob:
This thread astounds me.

2010-11-29, 4:01 PM #21
whatscsaid
nope.
2010-11-29, 4:33 PM #22
You need to pry that cap off with a small screwdriver. Its for filling your blinker fluid up.

o.0
2010-11-29, 4:51 PM #23
Greenboy's right, the large sideways "C" and the small "TC" are for Carbon Tetrachloride which is the active compound in blinker fluid.
2010-11-29, 5:12 PM #24
Turn it off when you want to do a brakestand

↑ Up to the top!