Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pedal Board
Pedal Board
2010-11-30, 6:40 PM #1
So, here's the deal. I'm planning to construct a custom (Guitar) pedal board to keep all of my stuff in order. I don't mind being my own roadie, but having to constantly break down my adapters, leads, pedals etc., is getting really old really fast.

I know how I want to build it, but what intrigues me is the process of actually attaching the pedals to the board. It's gonna have a section underneath to hide all of the ugly wires and such, but as for attaching the pedals, I'm not sure how to proceed. How would you do it? Zip ties, clamps...? Any suggestions would be awesome.

Here's what I use on a regular basis.

[http://www.musicgadgets.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/boss-me-20b.jpg]

[http://static.music123.com/derivates/6/001/477/969/DV019_Jpg_Regular_150204_R.jpg]

Edit: I know this could go on the music section, but it's not about music, it's about how to attach A to B... right?
666, The Number of the Beast.
664, The Bloke Next Door.
Matt Bonner, The Lebron Killer
2010-11-30, 6:53 PM #2
Velcro? You could place a large sheet on the whole board, and small pieces on the components. Then you could arrange them as needed.

o.0
2010-11-30, 7:19 PM #3
Yeah, velcro strips is what I'm planning on doing. It'll help further down the road if you want to re-order your pedals. Also, I started looking into power supplies instead of power strips but I'm not sure how much advantage that'll give me.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2010-11-30, 7:24 PM #4
Velcro is the best option if you plan on changing the pedals often, but if often to you means anything less than once a month, I suggest affixing them more permanantly.

I had one where I took hose clamps (I think, it might have been steel banding very similar, but it had holes in it) and screwed them into the carpet covered plywood. Much more secure than velcro and it's ****ING METAL YEAH
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-11-30, 7:28 PM #5
this is MASSASSI, it's a petal board
2010-11-30, 7:47 PM #6
Velcro is a very sound idea, I'm liking the suggestions so far, thanks to you all!

Except for Saberopus... yours can be a petal bored...

Originally posted by Spook:
Velcro is the best option if you plan on changing the pedals often, but if often to you means anything less than once a month, I suggest affixing them more permanantly.

I had one where I took hose clamps (I think, it might have been steel banding very similar, but it had holes in it) and screwed them into the carpet covered plywood. Much more secure than velcro and it's ****ING METAL YEAH

I like this... ****ing metal is the ultimate desired outcome.
2010-11-30, 9:15 PM #7
I was just reading about building a custom pedal board... lemmie see if I can find the resource....
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2010-11-30, 9:33 PM #8
Found it. Sort of.

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/pedalboard-primer/October-2010/120611

Anyway, in the video, he blabs on and on about the individual pedals, but eventually (somewhere past 10:40) he talks about wiring and yes, velcro.

Also, some of the stuff he mentions in the article about the order of the pedals and power is worth knowing.

And YES, he is a bass player, but it mostly still applies to guitar too.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2010-11-30, 10:10 PM #9
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
Found it. Sort of.

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/pedalboard-primer/October-2010/120611

Anyway, in the video, he blabs on and on about the individual pedals, but eventually (somewhere past 10:40) he talks about wiring and yes, velcro.

Also, some of the stuff he mentions in the article about the order of the pedals and power is worth knowing.

And YES, he is a bass player, but it mostly still applies to guitar too.

Wow, this is good stuff. I'm a bass player as well so this is even better, awesome find!
2010-11-30, 10:57 PM #10
Originally posted by Fett 316:
Velcro is a very sound idea, I'm liking the suggestions so far, thanks to you all!

Except for Saberopus... yours can be a petal bored...

I like this... ****ing metal is the ultimate desired outcome.

Consider also bikechain. At least on the digitech, you can take it apart and use one of the flat pieces with two holes. Take out the body screws on the back (unless they changed their housing design) put screw through metal piece, reassmble. Then screw the other hole to the board.

I think that boss will prove the most problematic for you.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-12-01, 8:05 AM #11
1) Get an old briefcase from a yard-sale or goodwill.
2) Attach pedals to the inside of the case.
3) ???
4) Portable/hip briefcase pedal board profit.

edit: like this, or this one, or this one here.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2010-12-01, 8:27 AM #12
If you only have 2 pedals I mean I don't really see the need.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-12-01, 10:10 AM #13
Originally posted by zanardi:
If you only have 2 pedals I mean I don't really see the need.

It's a neatness/functional issue for me. Like I said, lugging the stuff isn't an issue, but having to waste time breaking it all down, moving it, and putting it all together again is getting old. Plus, I think it would be good for hiding all of the ugly leads and adapters.

Ideally, I'd like to have it where I could just plug and play, ya know? I actually have 4 other pedals, but don't use them regularly.

The Ultimate Potato Briefcase... that's a good idea...

And Spook's bike chain idea, I'll have to look into that one, sounds good too.

Cookies for you all.

↑ Up to the top!