Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → question on video/media players
question on video/media players
2010-12-01, 10:05 AM #1
I really don't know much about media players or what is the "best" player etc. I did some reading (see:googling) and everyone seemed to be ranting and raving about KMPlayer's video quality... am I missing something here?

EDIT: images are big to show detail, please don't ban me kthnks. Oh and technically this isn't pirated because I paid in full for my blu-ray preorder already. ;)
EDIT 2: Why does min uploader keep randomly breaking my links? wtf!?

KMPlayer
[http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4159/kmplayer0.jpg]

WMP
[http://i.min.us/ibgq4W.jpg]

I'z confuzed.
2010-12-01, 10:18 AM #2
Well there's no image for KMplayer to compare it with, but picture quality between decoders is usually so insignificant that no one cares.
2010-12-01, 10:19 AM #3
Sorry CM I was having a problem with min uploader! Had to reupload to imageshack.
2010-12-01, 10:23 AM #4
Inception DVD rip is out, eh? Gotta get me that.
2010-12-01, 11:42 AM #5
technically it IS pirated

just because you have ordered it in one format does not give you the legal right to download it

but as far as the comparison goes you really need to get shots of the exact same frame

we can assume the jaggies in the kmplayer shot are because some setting is giving you problems but we can just as easily assume that frame in that encoding of the film is ****ed
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2010-12-01, 11:47 AM #6
Why in the world are they still encoding videos in xvid?
2010-12-01, 7:12 PM #7
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:

just because you have ordered it in one format does not give you the legal right to download it

but as far as the comparison goes you really need to get shots of the exact same frame

we can assume the jaggies in the kmplayer shot are because some setting is giving you problems but we can just as easily assume that frame in that encoding of the film is ****ed

A.) Don't care 90% of my HD is pirated.

B.) Its like that through the whole movie which really throws me for a loop. I messed with all the filters but it only made it worse. Is the program just not all that compatible with ATI products possibly? My card is an xfx 4850.
2010-12-01, 8:10 PM #8
Use VLC.
Lolpiracy.
That is all.
2010-12-01, 8:14 PM #9
Use VLC if you're looking for an ugly, buggy, slow, 8 year old unpatched fork of ffmpeg.

Or use Combined Community Codec Pack and the media player of your choice.
2010-12-01, 8:46 PM #10
I generally use media player classic from the CCCP. I was just baffled as to why so many people thought KMPlayer was better, when my results indicated differently. I guess it just doesn't get along with my rig too well.
2010-12-01, 9:18 PM #11
computer != rig
2010-12-01, 10:47 PM #12
x25064, your problem reminds me of an issue I had with h.264 files when playing in WMP or Media Center. I had identical "Jaggies" to yours when the files played fine in MPC and VLC. I also use CCCP and had to check "Autoload VSFilter (WMP and MC Support)" in the CCCP settings which perfectly resolved the issue. You have a similar tweak to make somewhere. It's been awhile since I've needed to fiddle with mine, though, so I can't help you beyond that. Besides, I have no experience with KMPlayer.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-12-02, 8:02 AM #13
Cool, thanks wookie ill give it a shot and let you know.
2010-12-02, 8:29 AM #14
I got that same rip, great movie.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-12-02, 8:46 AM #15
I actually like the new WMP a lot, I use that pirmarly

but like others have said if you got some buggy file VLC is the way to go
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2010-12-02, 10:56 AM #16
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Use VLC if you're looking for an ugly, buggy, slow, 8 year old unpatched fork of ffmpeg.

Or use Combined Community Codec Pack and the media player of your choice.

This. I personally use MPC-HC + CCCP.
2010-12-02, 2:13 PM #17
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:

True, but it's not copy right infringement so much as it is a violation of one of the stupider aspects of the DMCA. Either way it's a victimless crime that no one should worry about.

↑ Up to the top!