Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JKSP: The Movie
JKSP: The Movie
2010-12-07, 5:58 AM #1
I'm a lover of custom made SP levels for jedi knight. From Warzone, to Savage Winds, to BoaM. So I had the idea of making a short movie, featuring the Massassi community, with segments about each one. Like one of those "top 20" shows in which there is a countdown with several guests talking about each one.

So for example, we could have an editor talking about Imperial Seige on Derra IV, intercutting between him talking at his computer and the level itself.

I honestly think this would be fun. It could involve as many members of the massassi community and fellow editors as possible. We'd do a vote of perhaps the top 15 single player levels for JK/MOTS and prepare questions for each one. Like favourite bits, what bits sucked/made no sense, etc...

What do you think?
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2010-12-07, 8:41 AM #2
I'd watch it.
2010-12-07, 8:59 AM #3
Things with commentary are the best things.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-12-07, 12:40 PM #4
I would watch it, I can also do my damnedest to help, I'm not sure how, but I'll try.
2010-12-07, 1:02 PM #5
We'd do a poll of levels, get a ranking of the top 15, and then for each level people would film responses to questions, and then we'd put it all together.

Would be cool if we could get as many level editors as possible for their inspiration, ideas they wanted but couldn't pull off, what they'd change etc... I think it would be a really nice insight.

Just need to see if enough people are interested. Could even release the countdown one by one every week to countdown to a special anniversary or something.

I'm not really well known here, so I guess it will take some forum mods to get interested to really get the ball rolling :)
2010-12-07, 1:22 PM #6
"Not really well known" You made the 2 best JK SP levels in existance, past 2002 anyway.
2010-12-07, 1:54 PM #7
Honestly I'd skip the poll and just look at the download statistics of levels. Grab the top 20, and then see which of the authors you can track down.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2010-12-07, 1:55 PM #8
I would do the poll cause I sure as hell don't want to see JHS *ducks*

but I would love to give a hand if you guys do it
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2010-12-07, 1:56 PM #9
SP only I'm guessing.
2010-12-07, 2:47 PM #10
Originally posted by Tibby:
"Not really well known" You made the 2 best JK SP levels in existance, past 2002 anyway.

Thanks Tibby! Although I'm sure the TODOA fans out there would disagree :)

Originally posted by happydud:
Honestly I'd skip the poll and just look at the download statistics of levels. Grab the top 20, and then see which of the authors you can track down.

I think this is a good idea if we use rating instead. I really don't mind doing MP too, but I wouldn't be able to record any MP games because I have firewalls and stuff. Not even hamachi works. So then somebody else would have to record them.

Originally posted by Andrew L:
I would do the poll cause I sure as hell don't want to see JHS *ducks*

but I would love to give a hand if you guys do it

I'd love to see JHS for editors simply saying "god this sucked..." :)

All I'd need for the SP video would be people who have cameras who want to record themselves speaking about levels, and people who have jedi knight and can replay the levels. People would be able to set up their own "background" for their featurettes, ideally a computer with the level they're talking about on.
2010-12-07, 3:09 PM #11
You asked for endorsement, not sure what that's supposed to mean, but I guess you meant advertising :P

If you actually get something going, outside of the planning stages, I'll do that.
2010-12-07, 4:31 PM #12
Yeah pretty much an advertisement :rolleyes:

Just want people to hop on this train. As I said, all that's needed is around 7 people, or more ideally, with cameras that can record themselves speaking about levels.

If "the fifteen greatest addons of Massassi" attracts more attention, then I'll do that instead.
2010-12-08, 1:02 AM #13
Originally posted by Goit:
Although I'm sure the TODOA fans out there would disagree :)

Excuse me?

.. or actually whatever, I just hope TODOA won't be part of any lists :P
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-12-08, 2:48 AM #14
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Excuse me?

.. or actually whatever, I just hope TODOA won't be part of any lists :P

HE IS SAYING THAT SOME PEOPLE (TODOA FANS) MIGHT CONSIDER TODOA TO BE BETTER THAN ONE OR BOTH OF THE MAGRUCKOS.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2010-12-08, 4:27 AM #15
... No, that's not what I meant. Crud, I give up.

BACK ON TOPIC:

And on my final note, a list/video without BoaMSE is not a list/video at all. Go AKPiggott!
2010-12-08, 5:06 AM #16
A reason we couldn't do it by downloads is because levels like TODOA don't have as many as... honestly, really crap levels that have just been around for donkeys :)

I'd love you on board FGR.
2010-12-09, 1:17 AM #17
bump
2010-12-09, 5:40 AM #18
I think we should do a vote for top 15 levels
2010-12-09, 6:38 AM #19
Planet Sith FTW.

I live down the street from Phantom-Seraph we could do a twosome thing.

:smith:

eew

But we're not really the fanciest people around these parts either.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-12-09, 5:26 PM #20
top 15 addons or levels? we can do a short clip for each counting down when we've decided :)
2010-12-09, 5:39 PM #21
A list without TODOA is no list at all.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2010-12-09, 11:42 PM #22
SHUT THE MOOG UP LANDFISH

15 great SP levels in no particular order:
* BoamSE + ToaM 1 & 2 & 2 BTM
* Leeza's Destiny 3
* Dawn of a Downfall
* Siege at Vol Kanst
* Imperial Siege on Derra IV
* Remnants of the Empire (Part I and II, especially the latter)
* A Pirate's Tale (the series in its entirety)
* Magrucko
* Rebel Agent
* Liberating Cloud City
* Life of a Merchant & 2
* Mechanics of the Force 1
* The New Empire (especially 1SE)
* Warzone series
* A Jedi's Quest Part I

And if it's gonna be a Top 20 list
* The Fall of Juzsoft
* Life of Grismath
* Persecuted (awesome level but so so so so buggy)
* One Rebel's Sacrifice
* Yug'rin and Zak

More runner-ups:
* The Fall of Juzsoft
* Battle of Toprawa (I and III, II was kinda ehh)
* Death from Above demo

Actually, if I start listing all the runner-ups it's gonna take a long while. The Top 15 list is more or less definite really.

IF YOU DISAGREE YOU AR E DUM LOLLLL3930931
2010-12-10, 12:12 AM #23
That's a lot more then 15 levels.
2010-12-10, 8:37 AM #24
How funny that I stumbled on this thread. I was just thinking this morning, "man, what if I had kept making levels with the same set of assets for the past few years? There'd be so much content!"

I agree with most of the levels in FGR's list. One Rebel's Sacrifice was one of my favorite SP campaigns of all time. ...darnit, now I want to go play these :]

There should be an addendum of "Top x Unreleased Levels/Addons that drive me crazy nothing was ever released." Tops include Obi-Wan TC, Jurassic Park TC, and a bunch of other TCs.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2010-12-10, 8:50 AM #25
Good idea on the unreleasted stuff. SS3. I wish someone still has the SP demo, that would be top SURELY :)

I'm going to try and put together a few clips tonight, showing how I imagine it to be, and have a youtube video very soon.
2010-12-10, 12:07 PM #26
Originally posted by Goit:
Good idea on the unreleasted stuff. SS3. I wish someone still has the SP demo, that would be top SURELY :)

I'm going to try and put together a few clips tonight, showing how I imagine it to be, and have a youtube video very soon.

yes we need a template before we assist :awesome:
2010-12-10, 1:38 PM #27
Yeah, Tibby, I listed some series as one entry for my list. Even if considering BoamSE and ToaMs the same is quite stretching it, I've always counted them together.

Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
There should be an addendum of "Top x Unreleased Levels/Addons that drive me crazy nothing was ever released." Tops include Obi-Wan TC, Jurassic Park TC, and a bunch of other TCs.

Oh yeah. But my number one "Top X Unreleased Level" would be Underwater Station.

Of course it wasn't unreleased to me but hey <.<
2010-12-10, 1:40 PM #28
Yeah, Tibby, I listed some series as one entry for my list. Even if considering BoamSE and ToaMs the same is quite stretching it, I've always counted them together.

Oh yeah. But my number one "Top X Unreleased Level" would be Underwater Station.

UGH I had forgotten about that why did you remind me???? :gonk:
2010-12-10, 2:18 PM #29

The only important bit is the start. But even then, for the countdown, it would be the scoreboards used in capture the flag (the white ones) so... yeah. I then got carried away recording stuff...

I think if I had longer than an hour to do make this it would have come out better. But the jist is there. Intercutting with clips of the gameplay would be people speaking about it, and sometimes the voice would carry on over the gameplay.

First one to name all the levels in that video gets major kudos.
2010-12-10, 3:45 PM #30

Personally, I preferred the title "Depths of Insanity." Man, the concepts for that mod/level were cool!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2010-12-10, 11:39 PM #31
That was sort of a cool title but I can't remember if that was meant to be the actual title or just a placeholder. *shrug*

Goit, that video has been banned in Finland due to copyrights, it seems. Wow.
2010-12-10, 11:51 PM #32
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:

TODOA
2010-12-11, 9:52 AM #33
Other link here

It's literally just a mish mash of clips. I was going to do an example of ToaM2 but then decided it would take too long for just a practice.

It's really hard to do without me recording myself speaking, but I'm only doing that when I have a free house so I don't sound like I'm talking to myself to other people in the house :D

Imagine, say, Jedi High School.

(clip of JHS)

(on pc playing running round level) Fastgamerr: "I can't tell you how much I hate this level."

(clip of the outside of the school)

(on pc playing running round level) Grismath: "It's literally seven blocks connected to each other."

(more clips)

(on pc playing running round level) Tibby: "I remember playing it at the time thinking 'wow I can cause havoc in a high school', now I look at it and... I want to slap my young self."

(more clips. screenshot of the download count on massassi and the comments.)

(on pc playing running round level) Andrew_L: "It's one of the most played and downloaded levels on massassi, yet it's also one of the worst."

(on pc playing running round level) Tibby: "I'd say it was good for it's time but it was crap then."

(more clips. showing the worst bits)

(on pc playing running round level) Goit: "There's texture errors in every room! Oh I can't play it anymore. I quit."

Etc...

:)
2010-12-11, 10:36 AM #34
OK I get it... but what levels are we doing???????
2010-12-11, 11:18 AM #35
Also, I hope that's not going to be the final intro, as the quality is pretty poor, and the overblown (too loud) music is pretty bad. Could use some far better shots from the mods too.
2010-12-11, 7:39 PM #36
haha of course not the video is awful! I just rustled some mod shots up. Whole thing took an hour, and that included playing the levels to record because I was in a rush. The real intro will be a background to Massassi I guess... :)

I just need people to commit. Six/Seven will do, more would be great - to record themselves talking about/playing the mods. I'll send pre questions to answer, and edit it all together so it's all nicely packed and flows well.
2010-12-11, 7:52 PM #37
Goit, I can assist, I only have a digital camera tho so the interview may be iffy quality, I will see if my friend could film me if you want it higher quality
2010-12-11, 8:10 PM #38
General tip for recording yourself on video:

No matter how terrible the camera is, more lighting can make a huge difference. Not only will it mean less noise, but it makes you easier to see and more lively. Seriously, get some lamps all around the room, put a couple behind the camera pointed toward you, etc. Don't have the lights in the shot itself. If it seems slightly too bright and you're sweating from the heat, it's probably just right for recording.

And I could possibly pitch in, but it'd have to be pre-recorded or done via my macbook as I don't have another proper webcam.
2010-12-12, 9:46 AM #39
The beauty is I can keep uploading it until everyone is happy with their bits then release it when it's ready.

Few more peeps!
2010-12-12, 10:40 AM #40
Actually I'll move Persecuted to the runnerups list (due to the bugs) and replace it with Legacy of Yun.

Looking forward to the first video!

↑ Up to the top!