Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Live English<==>Spanish video translation with your cell phone camera
Live English<==>Spanish video translation with your cell phone camera
2010-12-17, 10:58 AM #1

The future is now.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2010-12-17, 11:09 AM #2
that is so awesome.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2010-12-17, 11:14 AM #3
Damn. Awesome.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-12-17, 11:31 AM #4
Too bad it doesn't work anything like the videos.

Translations are about 50/50 on whether they make sense, it can only read large, easy to read text (like headlines and large street signs), it is NOT free ($5 for each language, in ONE direction. Soon to be raised to $10!), and it doesn't always replace text properly.

Frankly, Google Goggles has allowed people to take pictures of text and translate it for a while now, which although it isn't augmented reality-style, it is pretty fast, far more accurate, FREE, works with tons of languages (even non-latin based), and doesn't have as much trouble reading text. Oh, and you don't need an iPhone.
2010-12-17, 11:54 AM #5
I never said it was free? And honestly, if I was going on a trip, I would pay $50 for something like this. (It's all local, so no 3G or roaming charges)

It does word-to-word translation (for now), as opposed to phrases and contextual. It won't translate it perfectly, but honestly it's enough to give you an idea of what it's talking about. It's also the first release, so expect it to get better.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2010-12-17, 12:14 PM #6
No android = fail.
2010-12-17, 12:35 PM #7
Originally posted by happydud:
I never said it was free? And honestly, if I was going on a trip, I would pay $50 for something like this. (It's all local, so no 3G or roaming charges)

They like to advertise it as free, when in reality you download the app with no language packs, and have to purchase them individually.

Quote:
It does word-to-word translation (for now), as opposed to phrases and contextual. It won't translate it perfectly, but honestly it's enough to give you an idea of what it's talking about. It's also the first release, so expect it to get better.
I'm just saying, it'd have to get a lot better to beat Google Goggles.

[http://static.arstechnica.com/wordlens_handson/wordlens_bad.jpg]
2010-12-17, 2:58 PM #8
incredible...absolutely astounding technology
2010-12-17, 3:22 PM #9
Matty is on the rag again. I just tried it; it's great. My brother just bought it for his iPod touch. It's a $4.99 app. It's not perfect, but it gives "gisted" translation. It can't read even small fonts. The trick is that you have to hold still.
2010-12-17, 3:33 PM #10
Ars Technica pretty much said what I said word for word though, besides "oh it's augmented reality, so that's cool, BUT". Besides, it's just a toy compared to a superior free service, so I don't find the money justified.
2010-12-17, 11:29 PM #11
The singularity is near.

↑ Up to the top!