Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → TRON: Legacy
TRON: Legacy
2010-12-21, 8:16 AM #1
Saw it on Friday and I loved it.

Don't expect an elaborate plot. It's a Disney movie.

Overall, probably one of the best movie experiences I've had in a long time.

Anyone else see it?
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2010-12-21, 8:18 AM #2
You bet. I loved it. The first time I've seen 3D used to help the artistic value of the film.

Definitely in my top 5.
2010-12-21, 11:12 AM #3
The Dude vs. Daft Punk
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-12-21, 11:39 AM #4
Someone I was with made the same comparison. :D
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2010-12-21, 11:39 AM #5
BAD. ASS.

That is all I have to say. Possibly my favorite movie ever. The soundtrack and visuals are orgasmic, and the plot supports those two things well enough.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-12-21, 2:51 PM #6
It was good. first full 3d movie ive seen..it wasnt the greatest movie i ever saw, but i definately felt it was more than worth my time and money, even though i hadnt had seen the first
2010-12-21, 3:29 PM #7
I saw it at the Sydney IMAX, twas awesome.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2010-12-21, 3:35 PM #8
Does it stand alone on it's own or will those of us that have never seen Tron not get it? :P
nope.
2010-12-21, 3:55 PM #9
It can stand alone. I went with a friend who hadn't seen the first and he loved it.

The only advantage of having seen the first is catching small references here and there.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2010-12-21, 4:26 PM #10
Going to see it, but I won't expect much other than awesome visuals and fun like Avatar. Already saw The Fighter and Black Swan, which were both brilliant films.
2010-12-21, 7:54 PM #11
I'm quite surprised that you guys are giving it such glowing reviews. I'll agree that the visuals were astounding (though if you expect Avatar 3D, you'll be sorely disappointed). The soundtrack is obviously stellar. Daft Punk do not disappoint. But the original movie, corny as it was, provided a lot of intriguing social commentary that is completely missing from this film.

A co-worker of mine likened it to Pirates of the Caribbean in a computer. Which I think is accurate. It's an adventure film, which in itself is wholly enjoyable. But I'd give it a 3/5.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-12-21, 8:35 PM #12
Originally posted by Yecti:
I'm quite surprised that you guys are giving it such glowing reviews. ... But the original movie, corny as it was, provided a lot of intriguing social commentary that is completely missing from this film.

This movie starts at a higher level by assuming the viewer already knows earth is messed up. There's plenty in this movie for someone capable of reading between the lines. But if you expect a movie that spoon-feeds you a bunch of whining about the social condition, then yeah, you'll be disappointed.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-12-21, 9:15 PM #13
It was pretty good I though. Enjoyed it a lot more than the original, and I made sure to rewatch the original beforehand to refresh my memory of it since the last time I watched it prior was probably 10+ years ago.

It wasn't a cinematic masterpiece, but it was a good fun movie. 3D felt like a waste to me though. Didn't add anything at all in my opinion, so I should've saved the extra money and just watched the regular version.
2010-12-21, 9:42 PM #14
Originally posted by Freelancer:
This movie starts at a higher level by assuming the viewer already knows earth is messed up. There's plenty in this movie for someone capable of reading between the lines. But if you expect a movie that spoon-feeds you a bunch of whining about the social condition, then yeah, you'll be disappointed.

I enjoy my entertainment and political *****ing seperate. Unless were talking about Michael Moore because that is just entertaining political *****ing.
2010-12-21, 9:57 PM #15
Originally posted by x25064:
I enjoy my entertainment and political *****ing seperate. Unless were talking about Michael Moore because that is just entertaining political *****ing.

Good luck finding any cinema without some form of political element.

Fortunately for most of us it goes over our heads.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-12-23, 8:55 AM #16
Originally posted by Freelancer:

I didn't see much. They highlighted Encom's change to being a profit driven powerhouse. Sam's desire to continue running the company in his father's vision played a role throughout which did help. But a lot has changed since 1982, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want more than just an adventure movie from the sequel to a movie that was more than just an adventure movie.

I enjoyed the film too. Aside from the terrifying fake Jeff Bridges in the opening scenes with his young son it was visually astounding. The plot moved along at a good pace, and there was enough MAIN character development to keep me interested and focused.

Truthfully, it wasn't until after the film had ended that I began to digest how lacking it was in thought provoking story telling. *shrug* I just kind of thought that with 28 years and Disney's millions they could make a better film.

It's still worth seeing. I wouldn't pay to see it in 3D (thankfully I didn't pay the first time either), but it was an enjoyable film nonetheless.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-12-23, 4:01 PM #17
I saw it in IMAX 3D and I thought the experience was worth it, the action sequences are amplified along with the eye candy. The story wasn't bad, but the script (dialogue in particular) could be much better. Suspense and tension did kind of feel lacking in the movie. I also think the character change with Sam at the end could have been handled better. Nevertheless, the movie was still fun (7/10).
2010-12-23, 4:10 PM #18
I thought the "terrifying fake Jeff Bridges" looked best in the opening cutscene. It was only at the end of the scene did I notice that it was CG. I think it got worse further into the film when animation picked up (the speech scene, in specific). In terms of pure visuals, it was very convincing, it's the animation that fell short of perfection, as usual.
2010-12-24, 3:42 AM #19
Hmm. Sounds cool. TBH, I didn't like the trailer. 67% on Rotten Tomatoes, which I guess is not so bad, but still... Might go see it, but can't say I'm all that hyped up (I was before I saw the trailer on TV, actually).
幻術
2010-12-24, 5:53 PM #20
It's actually around 47% on Rottentomatoes. The original is about 67%. I actually didn't mind the CGI young Jeff Bridges in The Grid because of the whole computerized world theme. However, I thought the intro could be done better with young Jeff Bridges having his face masked by the shadows.
2010-12-24, 11:26 PM #21
I just got back from seeing it and have to say I really enjoyed it. I personally thought there was enough social commentary (between the encom in the real world and the iso's being discovered and exterminated and the destructive search for perfection by clu) without being preachy and "oh! We must illuminate the ways in which we are destroying Gaia!"...ish. The visuals were pretty awesome although I think I could go either way on the 3D thing.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!