Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Opera
New Opera
2010-12-21, 10:44 AM #1
Its pretty sweet for something different. Handles flash a lot better then older versions. Still no hardware acceleration :( Extensions were a great addition, just took them forever to catch up with that. Going to use it for awhile and report back any bugs I run into. Worth checking out if your bored though. :P
2010-12-21, 11:12 AM #2
Geeze it's been so long since I used it, I thought for a second you were talking about a a musical opening. eg Repo! The Genetic Opera <_<

Edit: Be worth checking it out I guess. The last major release I looked at was all like lawl we included an IRC and bittorrent client and I was like, no.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2010-12-21, 12:10 PM #3
I read in some reviews or something that it doesn't actually block downloading of the ads, rather, it just hides them once they're downloaded. Not sure if that's true but that's what the reviews say.
2010-12-21, 2:27 PM #4
Originally posted by Brian:
I read in some reviews or something that it doesn't actually block downloading of the ads, rather, it just hides them once they're downloaded. Not sure if that's true but that's what the reviews say.

The particular ad blocker I am using does that. You actually have to set the cache manually. Its unfortunte because it excludes blocking flash ads. I'm sure a more efficient one will be created or adblock will develop an opera port.

So far everything else seems pleasant.
2010-12-21, 3:38 PM #5
There are sites I visit that take seconds to load. Turn on adblock, and they load instantly.
2010-12-21, 3:52 PM #6
I don't notice anything different.
2010-12-21, 4:14 PM #7
Yet another edition of Opera trying to be relevant and failing in my opinion.
2010-12-21, 4:17 PM #8
Originally posted by JM:
There are sites I visit that take seconds to load. Turn on adblock, and they load instantly.

This is the main reason I love adblock/flashblock. The other thing is that so many exploits are served through ads nowadays. You should look into ghostery, it will further speed up your page loads by blocking all the hundreds of analytics/tracker packages that are out there sucking up resources. Some sites load literally dozens of competing analytics packages.
2010-12-21, 4:19 PM #9
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yet another edition of Opera trying to be relevant and failing in my opinion.

How is it "failing"? I'm pretty sure its the same thing as almost any other browser out there.
2010-12-21, 4:19 PM #10
I think he means in market share.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-12-21, 4:21 PM #11
Ohhhhh, then he would be correct haha.
2010-12-21, 5:01 PM #12
Originally posted by Brian:
This is the main reason I love adblock/flashblock. The other thing is that so many exploits are served through ads nowadays. You should look into ghostery, it will further speed up your page loads by blocking all the hundreds of analytics/tracker packages that are out there sucking up resources. Some sites load literally dozens of competing analytics packages.

I'll probably do this eventually (read: when I stop being lazy) as well for solely this reason. I don't care about ads, and in the past, I've hate having had to set stuff to not block stuff I actually wanted to see that weren't ads. That was ages ago, though, and the latter I doubt is as much of a problem as it was before.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2010-12-21, 5:04 PM #13
Yeah, Gebohq, at this point, the major ad-block systems have subscription lists of filters that automatically update. It's EXTREMELY rare that something is blocked that shouldn't be. Usually the only time it happens is on sites that are literally covered end-to-end with ads and spam.
2010-12-21, 5:11 PM #14
I use flashblock too and it's a lot more blanket than adblock. Some sites don't function properly unless I disable it (easy to whitelist) but if that type of thing annoys you, cross flashblock off your list.
2010-12-21, 5:11 PM #15
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yeah, Gebohq, at this point, the major ad-block systems have subscription lists of filters that automatically update. It's EXTREMELY rare that something is blocked that shouldn't be. Usually the only time it happens is on sites that are literally covered end-to-end with ads and spam.

Last time it was mostly keeping me from opening my work e-mail that used a very old Outlook web express or something. Since then, our work e-mail finally updated to something better (though not much).
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2010-12-21, 5:27 PM #16
You can add exceptions into them now as well, and not just per item, but a whole domain if necessary (so you could effectively disable it for that site).
2010-12-22, 2:09 AM #17
I've finally settled down to JUST using Chrome after years of flitting between Opera, FF, Chrome, Safari and Camino.

I WILL NOT BE TEMPTED DOWN THIS ROAD AGAIN.
2010-12-22, 6:58 AM #18
I've found a hang up. Hotmail and opera do not get along, as usual. The hotmail inbox page is totally unresponsive. I swear Microsoft purposely runs a script to disable opera because for as long as over used opera it has never worked with hotmail.
2010-12-25, 2:46 AM #19
So.... There is not a new opera for me to see at the theater?
Cyclops was right
2010-12-25, 3:00 AM #20
whoa! the browser name is also the name of a type of musical theater!

↑ Up to the top!