Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Year's Eve and Star Wars
New Year's Eve and Star Wars
2010-12-31, 6:46 AM #1
This year, I'm going to participate in a Star Wars tradition shared on The Forcecast (a Star Wars podcast - AS IF YOU COULDN'T TELL :downs:).

Anyway, I'm taking the SPECIAL EDITION DVD of A New Hope, going through all the menus and crap, getting the movie going and pausing at 0:00:00.

Then at exactly when the time is 10:02:48pm, hit play. At the stroke of midnight, the Death Star should blow up.

I've watched Eps I through III the last three nights, so I'm prepped and ready. Actually, I'm ready for some better dialogue. :neckbeard:

[Edit: Crap. I meant to say New Year's EVE in the title. Ah well.]
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2010-12-31, 6:52 AM #2
:awesome:
woot!
2010-12-31, 8:24 AM #3
Wow, this could possibly be the nerdiest thing I've ever heard of here.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-12-31, 8:37 AM #4
Yeah... I'd never watch SW on New Year's Eve (is it called that? We call it 'Old Year's Eve' here and the next day 'New Year's Day' - confusing)

It's a cool thought though.

I suppose you could use it as a clock of sorts. But I couldn't just sit there watching Star Wars. On an evening like this I just want to be partying really.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2010-12-31, 8:52 AM #5
How can you have an Old Year's Eve? That literally means the night before the old year. Maybe if you celebrate New Years and then fly East over the international date line back to the old year I guess.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-12-31, 8:53 AM #6
very cool idea, but i wouldnt do it
2010-12-31, 8:55 AM #7
I wouldn't do it either. I pretty much refuse to fly with the only likely exception of going to Panama. Don't think I'd want to drive through so many Latin American countries to get there.

2010-12-31, 9:06 AM #8
Originally posted by Wookie06:
How can you have an Old Year's Eve? That literally means the night before the old year.

No... the idea is that the evening of the 31st it is still the old year. After midnight, it's new year's day. New year's eve, for us would technically be the evening of Jan. 1st.
2010-12-31, 9:11 AM #9
I wouldn't do it either. I pretty much refuse to fly with the only likely exception of going to Panama. Don't think I'd want to drive through so many Latin American countries to get there.

i meant the star wars thing LOL..I would never waste time to do what you propose
2010-12-31, 9:13 AM #10
This is something I would probably do. But alas, I'm working 18:00 to 6:00. I guess I can find the soundtrack and figure out the timing in the same way :eng101:

New Years of 1998 at the stork of midnight I screamed outside about my excitement for Episode 1.
My blawgh.
2010-12-31, 9:20 AM #11
Originally posted by Couchman:
i meant the star wars thing LOL..I would never waste time to do what you propose

I know, it just seemed like the perfect time to take your post out of context.

Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
No... the idea is that the evening of the 31st it is still the old year. After midnight, it's new year's day. New year's eve, for us would technically be the evening of Jan. 1st.

I honestly don't remember where you're from but I assume that Christmas Eve is also on the 25th of December there. If your location has it's own definition for eve then I guess that would make sense but it is generally defined as the evening or period before an event.

Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
New Years of 1998 at the stork of midnight I screamed outside about my excitement for Episode 1.

And which night did you go out to scream about your disappointment?

2010-12-31, 9:35 AM #12
Wookie wins the thread. lol
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2010-12-31, 9:37 AM #13
Happy NO TODOA TODAY!

Friggin' corrupted zips ruining my original plans in the past fgrumble mumble
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-12-31, 9:42 AM #14
I may just be a geek enough to do this, lol. The host of this evening's party is my other star wars nerd friend. When the triologies were released, he bought the special edition, I got the regular.
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2010-12-31, 9:50 AM #15
Idea:

Play the dvd but leave the usual local channel dick clark bs on until the ball drops. Then watch it drop and at "one" quickly change the input to the DVD and it will look like the ball exploded.

Profit?
2010-12-31, 9:58 AM #16
Then play yubnub song!

2010-12-31, 10:43 AM #17
And which night did you go out to scream about your disappointment?

May 19th 1999. It was an even louder scream if I recall.
My blawgh.
2010-12-31, 2:40 PM #18
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
This year, I'm going to participate in a Star Wars tradition shared on The Forcecast (a Star Wars podcast - AS IF YOU COULDN'T TELL :downs:).

Anyway, I'm taking the SPECIAL EDITION DVD of A New Hope, going through all the menus and crap, getting the movie going and pausing at 0:00:00.

Then at exactly when the time is 10:02:48pm, hit play. At the stroke of midnight, the Death Star should blow up.

I've watched Eps I through III the last three nights, so I'm prepped and ready. Actually, I'm ready for some better dialogue. :neckbeard:

[Edit: Crap. I meant to say New Year's EVE in the title. Ah well.]

Chewbubba is a more dedicated Star Wars fan than I am as it looks.
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2010-12-31, 4:46 PM #19

World English Dictionary
eve (iːv)

— n
1. a. the evening or day before some special event or festival
b. ( capital when part of a name ): New Year's Eve
2. the period immediately before an event: on the eve of civil war
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2010-12-31, 4:49 PM #20

LOL are you slow, have you thought this your entire life?
2010-12-31, 5:12 PM #21
We could confuse him even more and start talking about New Year's Eve day.

2011-01-01, 12:32 AM #22
Then play yubnub song!

This made me rofl!
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-01-01, 12:37 AM #23
So who did it?
2011-01-01, 2:18 AM #24
I honestly don't remember where you're from but I assume that Christmas Eve is also on the 25th of December there.

Despite you kicking some ass in this thread I still feel compelled to point out you got the date for Christmas Eve wrong =p
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2011-01-01, 5:01 AM #25
Originally posted by Deadman:
Despite you kicking some ass in this thread I still feel compelled to point out you got the date for Christmas Eve wrong =p

[http://i.imgur.com/fQh6N.jpg]
woot!
2011-01-01, 5:21 AM #26
Read it again JLee
2011-01-01, 6:15 AM #27
Originally posted by Deadman:
Read it again JLee

I'm pretty sure it was a joke about how, if the 1st of Jan is called New Year's Eve where JoS is from (which is The Netherlands, by the way), then the 25th of Dec must be called Christmas Eve.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2011-01-01, 6:30 AM #28
Crap, I misread, I thought he was trying to...
arr nevermind ><

read it again, Deadman
2011-01-01, 9:34 AM #29
:colbert:

2011-01-01, 9:47 AM #30
I blame it all on JoS, his confusion spread =p
2011-01-01, 10:07 AM #31
Yknow it could just be a translation thing - I know a bunch of older people [including my grandparents] that call New Year's Eve "Auld Year's Night". Oh and there's "Hogmanay" too! :ninja:
nope.
2011-01-01, 10:33 AM #32
Yeah, I was thinking New Years Eve' might work.

2011-01-01, 11:14 AM #33
I did it! Ha! And when it blew up, I said my "Happy New Year!" and I could hear the neighbors shooting off fireworks.

Good times had by all! :)
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2011-01-01, 12:03 PM #34
Not if your last name is Tarkin.

2011-01-01, 8:02 PM #35
I honestly don't remember where you're from but I assume that Christmas Eve is also on the 25th of December there. If your location has it's own definition for eve then I guess that would make sense but it is generally defined as the evening or period before an event.

Right, totally forgot about that. I was thinking 'eve' was short for evening.

In that case we're not calling it Old Year's Eve, but Old Year's Evening.

And Christmas Eve is just called Christmas Evening here.

The Dutch equivalent of 'eve' would be 'vooravond' which is 'pre-evening' if you translate it literally. But it sounds weird with holiday names, so we just say 'evening'.

Also, we celebrate Christmas Eve, 1st Christmas Day and 2nd Christmas Day. Yes, we have an extra Christmas Day... don't ask me why, but we do.
2011-01-02, 12:13 AM #36
Yeah, I was thinking New Years Eve' might work.

Right yet again!

2011-01-02, 12:43 PM #37
Not if your last name is Tarkin.

:XD:
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2011-01-03, 12:40 AM #38
Edit.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;

↑ Up to the top!