Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New York City & Dropping Balls...
New York City & Dropping Balls...
2010-12-31, 10:14 AM #1
So my friend drove out to New York recently to partake in the Times Square ball dropping festivities tonight. Personally, it's something I've always wanted to do/go to once in my life. Much like going to Mardi Gras (which I was able to knock of my list this year). He beat me to the ball drop though.

So my question to Massassians is this:

Have any of you been to New York for the New Years?
or
Do you have any desire to go to New York to watch the ball drop?

For the non-american Massassians, I know several countries have their own New Years celebrations. Such as Sydney (which is another one I've always wanted to go to). Have you been to yours, or do you even want to go in the future?
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2010-12-31, 10:20 AM #2
Originally posted by Liberius Vir:

Have any of you been to New York for the New Years?
or
Do you have any desire to go to New York to watch the ball drop?

1. Yes
  2. HELL NO

1. But only to friends apartments. Bars are crowded and more expensive. It's a **** show. everyone is wasted and it's just annoying.

2. Hell no, tv is the best way to view that. Times Square is annoying and overcrowded when it's not New Years. I can't imagine why you'd want to be there when theres thousands of people shoved in there.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2010-12-31, 10:26 AM #3
Originally posted by mb:
It's a **** show.

Originally posted by mb:
tv is the best way to view that. Times Square is annoying and overcrowded when it's not New Years.

I've had that mentioned to me before. Two other friends of mine went before this last one did. One came back all praises, the other spoke much along the lines that you have.
2010-12-31, 10:34 AM #4
mb knows a lot about dropping balls HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I've never been to a larger New Year's celebration in a city or anything, I wish I could have crashed at Egypt some time ago.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-12-31, 11:31 AM #5
My parents went back in the 80's because my dad was touring with a jazz band at the time, they seemed to love it. They both talk very fondly of it.
2010-12-31, 1:12 PM #6
If I'm in NYC ill try to get a general crowd shot so you can see the MAYHEM
2010-12-31, 4:40 PM #7
too much hassle
2010-12-31, 10:39 PM #8
Anyone else not care about New Years at all?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-12-31, 10:46 PM #9
Originally posted by Emon:
Anyone else not care about New Years at all?

Me
666, The Number of the Beast.
664, The Bloke Next Door.
Matt Bonner, The Lebron Killer
2011-01-01, 2:04 AM #10
Yeah... I don't really care about it. My girlfriend and I just had a dinner (she paid. OH YEAH) and we then proceeded to play Mario Bros. on the Wii and watched some TV on Netflix.

We try to make plans but we also don't really care. Plus, I got a really good 'gift' for Xmas which was only valid once it was 2011. ;)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2011-01-01, 3:15 AM #11
I just got off from working a double until 4am at the bar I work at for New Years, so no I don't really care about it as a huge event. I do miss when I can't party with friends, but I really don't think there is anything special about it.

NYE in NYC in times square though? **** that noise. I guess it depends on the person but I hate being in huge crowds more than almost anything.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2011-01-01, 10:01 AM #12
Ball dropping? :huh:
nope.
2011-01-01, 10:20 AM #13
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Ball dropping? :huh:

Do you live in a cave or something?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2011-01-01, 10:50 AM #14
I'm not from your continent. :P
nope.
2011-01-01, 12:19 PM #15
I went to see the fireworks on the Thames for the millennium and mainly recall the crushing afterwards as people tried to leave. I've also been to Edinburgh for the Hogmanay (a freezing cold, crowded, damp squib). New Years is best spent round a friend's house.

Do you sing Auld Lang Syne in America? And if so, do you also start mumbling after the first verse? Everyone starts out so heartily here then it just fizzles out.
2011-01-01, 1:19 PM #16
Shot from a friend of mine: http://occip.it/pt3lrn66

That was at 6. I cant imagine waiting around for 6 hours in that crowd.
2011-01-01, 1:45 PM #17
I've never really care for New Years. I hate crowds, and especially trying to look like I'm having a good time around strangers. So I requested to work a 12 hour shift and got paid time and a half! :hist101:
My blawgh.
2011-01-01, 2:41 PM #18
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PLANET EARTH

Originally posted by Recusant:
Do you sing Auld Lang Syne in America? And if so, do you also start mumbling after the first verse? Everyone starts out so heartily here then it just fizzles out.

I didn't know there were any words after the first two lines.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-01-01, 3:13 PM #19
Happy Birthday Planet Earth? More like Happy Birthday Day Arbitrarily Determined to be the First Day of the Year.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2011-01-01, 3:36 PM #20
why do you have to be so negative all the time
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2011-01-01, 3:50 PM #21
I was there last night at Times Square. It was pretty cool, though the sheer amount of people really grated my nerves. People were waiting there since 12:00pm. I say if big crowds don't bother you, it's worth doing at least once.

No regrets seeing Lion King or doing the NBC studio tour though.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2011-01-01, 3:55 PM #22
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Happy Birthday Planet Earth? More like Happy Birthday Day Arbitrarily Determined to be the First Day of the Year.

:saddowns:
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-01-01, 4:12 PM #23
Originally posted by Whelly:
I was there last night at Times Square. It was pretty cool, though the sheer amount of people really grated my nerves. People were waiting there since 12:00pm. I say if big crowds don't bother you, it's worth doing at least once.

No regrets seeing Lion King or doing the NBC studio tour though.

GET OUTTA MAH CITY
2011-01-01, 4:14 PM #24
I think if I knew you better, this would be the part where I make a fat joke.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2011-01-01, 4:17 PM #25
Im fairly certain everyone does that anyway :(

How are you liking new york? how long will you be around?
2011-01-01, 4:25 PM #26
I have no desire to watch the ball drop. I spent my new years eve setting up a fireworks show, and I spent my first minutes of new years day shooting it off. Man it was cold.
Warhead[97]
2011-01-01, 4:28 PM #27
I just got back to VA a couple hours ago, but I loved it there... very bustling, and I was actually surprised how kind all the New Yorkers were. Subway system mentally raped me, but I got the hang of it by the end. It was my first visit, and I didn't get to do everything I wanted. I really wanted to go to the Museum of Modern Art and Museum of Television. Went to Battery Island, the 9/11 site, Chinatown, Rockefeller Square... the usual tourist places I guess. I used to think living in NYC was in the same category as going to the moon for me, but I can actually see myself living there for work or something.

How do you like it? Where do you live? And don't be sad mb, I'm sure everyone teases you cause they love you so much. Right guys?
2011-01-02, 7:47 AM #28

And don't be sad mb, I'm sure everyone teases you cause they love you so much. Right guys?

Yeah... Exactly :downswords:

I've been meaning to make the drive out there myself and visit a few people. It would be my first time in NYC so I would rather go sometime when it wasn't so crazy like it is at NYE. I'm around the Detroit area so it's not too far.
2011-01-04, 6:27 PM #29
I just got back to VA a couple hours ago, but I loved it there... very bustling, and I was actually surprised how kind all the New Yorkers were. Subway system mentally raped me, but I got the hang of it by the end. It was my first visit, and I didn't get to do everything I wanted. I really wanted to go to the Museum of Modern Art and Museum of Television. Went to Battery Island, the 9/11 site, Chinatown, Rockefeller Square... the usual tourist places I guess. I used to think living in NYC was in the same category as going to the moon for me, but I can actually see myself living there for work or something.

How do you like it? Where do you live? And don't be sad mb, I'm sure everyone teases you cause they love you so much. Right guys?

Awesome, I'm glad to hear you liked it! We are nice people... generally >_> MoMA is awesome, but check out the Metropolitan Museum of Art if you can. I live just north of the Bronx, but I'm in the city every day for work now. AND NO EVERYONE HATES ME
2011-01-04, 6:38 PM #30
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I'm not from your continent. :P

Oh, well a cave would be cooler ;)
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"

↑ Up to the top!