Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Poltergeist Exorcism Advice
Poltergeist Exorcism Advice
2011-01-01, 4:03 PM #1
Well, not really, but again I'm seeking from the well of Massassi's technical knowledge. A weird buzzing sound started occuring on some computer speakers here, and I didn't think much of it. The speakers would hiss every five to ten seconds in a certain pattern, and it wouldn't lost longer than a second. As I walked around the house, I noticed it was happening on the downstairs PC speakers in the same pattern. It also does it on the home theater speakers (albeit quietly compared to the other speakers), and makes the screen go fuzzy only when the input is set to composite (a Wii). All inteference comes and goes on that pattern.

My house is heated by a wood/propane fueled furnace, and when it's turned on and convecting air the buzzing begins. Also to add to the weirdness, a physical clanging/static sound emits from the furnace (that same pattern)... I'm 95% sure this is what's causing all the static. I've just never seen anything like this before, and I don't know much about electrical engineering to figure it out.

Is an old motor causing electromagnetic interference? Why does it affect random objects (not all speakers in the house are affected)? Any idea where to start troubleshooting?
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2011-01-01, 4:23 PM #2
This is just a guess, but maybe the motor is back-feeding a bunch of crap into your house mains.
2011-01-01, 4:24 PM #3
It's either that or it's RF noise of some sort.
2011-01-02, 3:13 AM #4
My old trainset used to make the equally old TV set buzz and hiss. I was soon banned from using it when the news was on.
2011-01-02, 7:38 AM #5
It might me small surges in the grid you're on. Or as Kwiet put it, it could just be some RF noise. Are you carrying anything on you that might affect those things when you go to check them; such as your cell phone?
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2011-01-02, 10:45 PM #6
Alright I figured it out. Some random unnecessary fan was plugged in near the furnace so I just unplugged it and all the interference stopped. Still weird though... probably some bad wiring or something in that fan (or the outlet).
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2011-01-03, 2:40 AM #7
Originally posted by Whelly:
Alright I figured it out. Some random unnecessary fan was plugged in near the furnace so I just unplugged it and all the interference stopped. Still weird though... probably some bad wiring or something in that fan (or the outlet).

Damn you Fans!!! Why must you make the world so breezy & cool yet make my ultimate gaming experience so lacking!?! Curse you!
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2011-01-03, 3:42 AM #8
I once had a fan that made my crt blurry. Took me forever to figure that one out.

↑ Up to the top!